Preparing for first sportive- some questions

Burt25
Burt25 Posts: 117
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Im preparing for my first sportive on 5 October (50 miles). I've nearly made it to the distance (45 miles last weekend) so feel ready physically, but I suppose my biggest concern is the Uncertainty of the weather at this time if year so need some advice:

1. Should I buy a package waterproof jacket or go with my normal non- waterproof gear if it's raining?
2. If its hit and miss as to weather it will rain on the day, should I fit my mudguards?
3. Should I change my mavic Aksium tyres for something more suited to potential wet conditions?

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thanks

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    I would say yes to all 3 if you can
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    It's great that you're thinking ahead.

I would suggest trying everything in advance of your ride. You certainly want to check your mudguards won't rub before the ride. And properly fitted they won't slow you down beforehand.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    For number 1 it,s a yes.plus you will have it for after as well.
    As for 2,then that can go either way.If your going to leave them on for winter then why not.see forcast closer to the event and decide then.
    For number 3,if your tyres are still useable at the time of the event,why change them.Just seems a waste if money if they don,t need replacing.
    Enjoy your day.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If its the new forest one then yes to all 3.

I'd add in see spare dry gloves or a waterproof pair if its raining. I couldn't change gear for the last 15 miles if the spring one due to cold hands :(

Tyres - conti 4 seasons have seen us through 2 nf sportives with no puncture. Last autumn there were ppl changing every mile or so - the rain had washed all the grit onto the road and it was almost cx tyre time!
  • Didn't the Wiggle NF get sabotaged last year, pins/tacks on the road not grit and thorns?
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • 1. If it's raining, why get out of bed? You can do 50 miles the next day in the sunshine.
    2. You have mudguards, but they're not on the bike? Not every summer is like this one, you know.
    3. Tyres. Pump them up, then don't go round corners too fast.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Burt25
    Burt25 Posts: 117
    1. If it's raining, why get out of bed? You can do 50 miles the next day in the sunshine.
    2. You have mudguards, but they're not on the bike? Not every summer is like this one, you know.

1. I will have to get out of bed as I'm raising money for charity!
    2. Hadn't put the mudguards on as I've been avoiding being out in the rain so far!
    3. Think I will leave the tyres and proceed with care if conditions aren't good!
  • Burt25 wrote:
    1. Should I buy a package waterproof jacket or go with my normal non- waterproof gear if it's raining?
    2. If its hit and miss as to weather it will rain on the day, should I fit my mudguards?
    3. Should I change my mavic Aksium tyres for something more suited to potential wet conditions?

1. A packable waterproof is a stable item in any rider's kit bag (especially in this country) so would be a great idea.
    2. If the weather looks iffy then you could always use an 'Ass Saver'. Takes 5 seconds to fit and does exactly what it says it will. Of course, it won't stop the spray from your back wheel peppering the rider behind, but that just means they shouldn't be sat on your wheel and should lend a hand at the business end of things up front :-)
    3. If the tyres aren't worn out and needing replacement then there is no real need to change them. If it's wet on the day then lower the pressure slightly. This will give you a noticeable amount more grip, you still need to be careful though!

Best of luck!

Mike
    Mavic Community Manager
  • 1. If it's raining, why get out of bed? You can do 50 miles the next day in the sunshine.

That's my attitude, if the forecast is for heavy rain for the entire time, I don't go. Sportives are supposed to be fun, riding in heavy rain is not fun. That said if it's going to be mostly dry with a chance of a shower I'll take my rain coat.
  • slowbike
    Didn't the Wiggle NF get sabotaged last year, pins/tacks on the road not grit and thorns?
    The spring one did ... not that it affected many ...
    Previous Autumn one was grit & thorns ...
  • slowbike
    1. If it's raining, why get out of bed? You can do 50 miles the next day in the sunshine.

1. it's motivation to do the distance - rain doesn't hurt (hail might!)
    2. mudguards do not have to be fitted all the time
    3. it's not the grip - it's the puncture resistance - especially somewhere like the NF ...
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    1. Yes, get a thin waterproof. I did 3 hours in the rain on a Sportive this year. For the first hour and a half I just carried on, after that I put on the waterproof as I was starting to get chilly. Once you've accepted you're going to get wet, riding in the rain is OK. All you have to do is keep warm. Also - waterproof overshoes, your feet will be blocks of ice if you don't use them.

2. Yes, get the guards on if it's going to be wet all day. If it's going to be maybe showery, I might not bother.

3. Reduce tyre pressure a bit, brake earlier and smoothly, don't lean as much on turns. Be careful about getting out of the saddle on climbs, you may get some wheelspin.

I am usually a fair weather rider and I won't deliberately go out in the rain by myself. However, if I'm on an event or am riding with others, then it's somehow much more bearable :)

Such as:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_dDDeTd70s
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava
  • Waterproof gloves and overshoes are what you need if it rains.

I did the NF in April where it rained hard for 2 hours of my route.

I saw people stop and put their wet gloves over central heating vents on houses along the route! - I am sure plumbers may advise aginst this!!!
  • slowbike
    Marcusww wrote:
    I saw people stop and put their wet gloves over central heating vents on houses along the route!
    Ah - you saw that too! We must've been quite close together at the time ...
    plenty of riders (nearly said competitors) were considering cutting the ride short.