Shimano SPD-SL pedal body wear: R540 vs 5700 longevity

2»

Comments

• jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    When the front edge wears and the pedal/cleat gets sloppy, rather than tape, I've used JB weld adhesive (epoxy). With careful application the pedals can be made as good as new again. The adhesive wears away very slowly -possibly as well as the original alloy, so pedals can last a really long time. Great if you're tight like me !
  • Body
    Body Posts: 32
    When the front edge wears and the pedal/cleat gets sloppy, rather than tape, I've used JB weld adhesive (epoxy). With careful application the pedals can be made as good as new again. The adhesive wears away very slowly -possibly as well as the original alloy, so pedals can last a really long time. Great if you're tight like me !

Can not find this JB weld in the Netherlands. Do you put the epoxy on the front edge of the pedal?
    Why using epoxy instead of tape?
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Can not find this JB weld in the Netherlands. Do you put the epoxy on the front edge of the pedal?
    Why using epoxy instead of tape?

Yes apply on the front area (top edge and underneath) carefully to ensure it has the same profile as before. Other strong epoxy metal adhesive should work eg http://www.techsil.co.uk/araldite-ara400010?gclid=CKjA9-HomccCFcXHtAod2PIORAbut I've only tried JB weld.

Tape should work too but, not last as long.
  • Body
    Body Posts: 32
    I supose 1 mm Will be enough.