Protect your bike

dmccart32
dmccart32 Posts: 18
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

Apart from those people who service their own bikes, for market research purposes, please can you let me know whether you would consider purchasing a Insurance, servicing & recovery package or a new or exisiting bikes?

Insurance: What you would normally expect to find, but with added roadside rescue
Servicing: Two services a year at 6 month intervals, carried out either at home, workplace or local shop.

Ultimately it would be spreading the cost over the course of a year for just over £10 per month?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• I get free servicing and 20% off parts on my bike for as long as I own it from the shop I bought it from.
    What you're suggesting wouldn't appeal to me. Like most mountain bikers if there's something I cant fix myself then I have a mate who will fix it.
  • £10 a month doesn't sound too bad to me for insurance and a couple of services.

The recovery wouldn't appeal to me that much (would normally be able to call a mate etc) and I insure through my home insurance, so I may not be an ideal customer. But I can see how it may make sense for some, particularly those who don't / can't service the bike themselves.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    dmccart32 wrote:
    but with added roadside rescue

farily usless for an MTBer or will you recover from halfway down Fort William or from the middle of the FoD?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    No. If I left my bike for six months without some love it would be dead.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    No. If I left my bike for six months without some love it would be dead.

+1

After 6 rides my bikes are in need of attention
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What is the point of roadside rescue, by the time I've got it back to the roadside I may as well put it in the car and drive it home!

I would say an MTB needs checking every ride, and yes mine probably needs a little something every few rides, more so in winter.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Agree with the posts above, doesn't sound like much use for mountain bikers. I think you want commuters and roadies