Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB workshop & tech

spesh far xc travel possibilities

crispy1980crispy1980 Posts: 310
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm thinking of selling my xc pro in order to fund buying a pitch as I fancy more travel. However, I'm wondering TiVo could exchange the forks on my current bike. what am I likely to get away with before ruining the handling? Current travel is 120mm

• nicklousenicklouse Posts: 50,675 Lives Here
    what year bike and what as a TV recorder got to to with it?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Stupid predictive text! . It's a 2009 model, the year the rear shock changed position to sit in the frame instead of through it.
  • DCR00DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    the Pitch is either 140mm or 150mm at the front (depending on which year)

already has a 67 degree head angle, so shortening the forks by 20mm i likely to take that HA to 68, which isnt that different to what you've currently got
  • So I'm reading that as putting 140mm forks on would end with pretty much same geometry?
  • I have a 2010 XC Pro and have been running 140mm Forks on there for the past year. Rides much better than with the 120mm Rebas i had on there before, feels more responsive on the front end. The rear is still 120mm but it still feels fairly well balanced. I would say it has slackened my HA by 1 degree

Here's mine:
    IMG_1344_zps7800a887.jpg
  • Thinks that's what I'll do, at least I know my bike is well maintained. Would like some with adjustable travel I thibk
  • DCR00DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    My last bike was the same

It does perform quite well with 140mm up front