Silly commuter TT

menthel
menthel Posts: 2,484
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
My brain (its a funny place) has decided to show an interest in time trialling. I don't know why but it has. Audaxing I can understand, I like doing long distances and eating cake (I also frequently cannot be bothered to shave). However, this TT thought is wierd. I didn't want to ask in the road bike section as it is full of people in skin suits (probably from their last victim) and point hats (bloody racists).

So, SC, can a fat man in his mid 30's find somewhere to test himself against the clock? How does one go about it? Is there a website that might help me? Is the whole idea just daft, especially as I am likely to use my commuter bike to do it?
RIP commute...
Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.

Comments

• Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    Time Trialing is a great way to get into racing, most local clubs hold a regular 10 mile race and there are loads of longer distance races (25, 50, 100, 12 hour, 24 hour etc) to get stuck into, they're normally pretty cheap to enter, the Kingston Wheeler's club 10 is a whopping £3 for example, and you get a cup of tea and a biscuit or 2 at the end. Usually you get in contact with the organiser, put your name down on the list and then turn up and ride. There's no licence required but if you're going to do it regularly then its nice to actually join the club.

The TT season is just about over now, so you'll struggle to find many races. Its worth searching on the britishcycling website though as they have a comprehensive list. In the mean time, you can always ride the courses anyway, the closest one to you is probably the Richmond Park one that London Dynamo use. Start at Robin Hood gate, head anti-clockwise to Kingston Gate, turn around at the RB and come all the way back, turning up towards Pen Ponds at Robin Hood gate and the finish is near the car park. Its not a quick course due to the hills, but there's a Strava segment for it that you can use to track your progress.

The best bit is that its you against yourself against the clock and there's nowhere to hide, you can ride it on any bike you like and then compare one time against the other to see if you're getting better/faster. We have guys riding all sorts of bikes (though generally road bikes) who post times from 30+ minutes down to 20 minutes for the 10 miles. Be warned though, it becomes addictive. I started out reasonably fit on a road bike doing high 25's for the 10, 2 years later I'm on a full TT rig having upped my fitness and I'm doing high 22's, confident that next year with a skin-suit, helmet, position tweaks and some more training I can get into the 21's on our local course. It also got me into proper road and criterium racing, I've loved every minute.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    welcome :twisted:

firstly let me warn you that it is disgustingly addictive. more so than any other type of riding ive found.

secondly let me tell you that the season is basically over... CTT is where to look
    http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Hom ... fault.aspx
  • MrSweary
    MrSweary Posts: 1,699
    Yup - cycle from my house to my place of work in the middle of the night ignoring all lights. It's exactly 10miles!
    Kinesis Racelite 4s disc
    Kona Paddy Wagon
    Canyon Roadlite Al 7.0 - reborn as single speed!
    Felt Z85 - mangled by taxi.
  • menthel
    Thanks Rob. I will have a poke around the KW and britishcycling sites. I am not entirely keen on doing this in Richmond Park as the speed limit (even for me!) may be an issue, especially with the rozzers showing up intermittently. My usual commuter is my equillibrium so a road bike- its a bit more "racy" in its setup than the italia, at least that is how it feels! ;)
    RIP commute...
    Sometimes seen bimbling around on a purple Fratello Disc or black and red Aprire Vincenza.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    menthel wrote:
    Thanks Rob. I will have a poke around the KW and britishcycling sites. I am not entirely keen on doing this in Richmond Park as the speed limit (even for me!) may be an issue, especially with the rozzers showing up intermittently. My usual commuter is my equillibrium so a road bike- its a bit more "racy" in its setup than the italia, at least that is how it feels! ;)
    To be clear, I wouldn't advise this when the park's open to traffic and always be on the look out for deer. Ride at your own risk, and all that. Having said that, with the nights drawing in its easier to get to the park for dawn/dusk at a civilised hour these days.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.
  • menthel
    As I typed that the rest of you replied. ;)
    RIP commute...
  • spasypaddy
    i'd recommend next season doing the hillingdon TT. its on every other wednesday night from april to august. great mix of abilities and bikes. From elite level riders doing sub 1.50 laps to recumbents, to fixies.

Its a great place to start to TT.

The other thing to do is to find out which of your local clubs do an open 10 and then go do that regularly, if you're a member of a club already then they wont mind you coming and racing however if you aren't then i'd recommend joining one, preferably one who is registered with the CTT as that covers you for insurance purposes.
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    The TT scene is a bit weird in this country, in that it's run completely independently of British Cycling. This is a historical thing dating back to the days when road racing was illegal, and time trials were run discretely at stupid o'clock in the morning on courses with obscure code names. These days, they're still run under the auspices of a different organisation (CTT), though the two organisations do actually get on. Even the equipment rules are slightly different, though not in any way that's going to effect you. Hill climbs (which mostly happen around this time of year) are also run as time trials, under CTT rules.

The two main "levels" of competition are:
    1. Club-run events. Relatively informal, often entry on the line, and you don't generally need to be a member of any club to take part. Often run on weekday evenings in the Summer, though there are club events at weekends. Rob mentioned the Kingston Wheelers events; the Westerley club also run a very good Wednesday evening series at Hillingdon, and I believe there's also a series at Hog Hill (these are all Summer only). You can expect to see a good number of people on road bikes (and occasionally hybrids/folders) at these events, though there will also be people with disc wheels and pointy hats.
    2. Open events. A bit more formal; you generally need to enter ~10 days in advance, need to be a member of a club, and clothing rules are a bit more strictly enforced (plain/club kit is fine, but absolutely no pro/replica kit, unless you actually ride for that team). You'll still see a fair few people on road bikes, and slow people are made just as welcome; you'll still struggle to finish last. Priority entry is given to people with faster previous times at the race distance, and there are a few very popular (fast) courses for which it can be quite difficult to get an entry. That said, the vast majority of events are undersubscribed, and anyone who enters will get in.
    There are also a few events which fit somewhere between these; examples are the excellent London Dynamo events in Richmond Park, and the sadly defunct Blenheim Palace race. Entry tends to be first-come, first-served, the course is often closed to traffic, and there's often a separate results category for road bikes. These events are particularly beginner-friendly, and I'd recommend you try a few of these next year.

There are a handful of club/Open events on traditional flat courses over the next few months, details all on the CTT website. There are also some events on "sporting" (ie relatively hilly) courses over the Winter which can be fun, and in some cases TT bikes will be less of an advantage.

One warning: Time trialling is a bit like doing crack cocaine: ultimately pretty pointless, but you get sucked in. It's all very well to say you'll do it on your commuting bike, but at some point you're going to start removing bottle holders and saddle packs for races. This is the start of the slippery slope that will end with you owning your own TT-specific bike with disc wheel, pointy hat and skinsuit. None of these are necessary to enjoy the sport, but you wont be able to help yourself; don't say you weren't warned...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • tgotb
    spasypaddy wrote:
    i'd recommend next season doing the hillingdon TT. its on every other wednesday night from april to august. great mix of abilities and bikes. From elite level riders doing sub 1.50 laps to recumbents, to fixies.
    I haven't ridden the course fixed yet (though I'm tempted to set up the track bike in pursuit mode and have a go) but I understand that the hairpin can be rather committing...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • menthel
    Thanks! My wife laughs at me enough in bibs, I can imagine her response to a skinsuit!

I will do some poking around and perhaps save TT for next year.
    RIP commute...
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    menthel wrote:
    My wife laughs at me enough in bibs,
    Surely the answer to this is "you're just jealous". Anyway, could you not get Mrs menthel involved in TTs as well? I seem to remember she is über-competitive.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • menthel
    rjsterry wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    Surely the answer to this is "you're just jealous". Anyway, could you not get Mrs menthel involved in TTs as well? I seem to remember she is über-competitive.

Oh goodness, I couldn't imagine anything worse! She would end up in a skinsuit, pointy hat and a tiny weenie TT bike! Do they make them in childrens sizes? She went for a bike fit a pearsons recently and was told that she really should have custom frames as she is so bloody small! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • tgotb
    menthel wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    menthel wrote:

Oh goodness, I couldn't imagine anything worse! She would end up in a skinsuit, pointy hat and a tiny weenie TT bike! Do they make them in childrens sizes? She went for a bike fit a pearsons recently and was told that she really should have custom frames as she is so bloody small! ;)
    Hmmm... Small... Does she know it's hill climb season?
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • menthel
    TGOTB wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    menthel wrote:

she doesn't like hills. I get sworn at if there are hills. She goes up them well enough, she just swears at me after!
    RIP commute...
  • TGOTB wrote:
    One warning: Time trialling is a bit like doing crack cocaine: ultimately pretty pointless, but you get sucked in. It's all very well to say you'll do it on your commuting bike, but at some point you're going to start removing bottle holders and saddle packs for races. This is the start of the slippery slope that will end with you owning your own TT-specific bike with disc wheel, pointy hat and skinsuit. None of these are necessary to enjoy the sport, but you wont be able to help yourself; don't say you weren't warned...

How on earth would anyone in their right mind allow themselves to be sucked down that sort of slippery slope, whether for TT racing or anything else? Utterly foolish.

<looks around, slightly shame faced>

I thought you had to have a degree in Ordnance Survey Map Reading to ride TTs in this country. Has that changed since we went metric with money?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    menthel wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    menthel wrote:

she doesn't like hills. I get sworn at if there are hills. She goes up them well enough, she just swears at me after!

I don't think you are supposed to enjoy hill climbs, at least not as you are actually riding them.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • menthel
    rjsterry wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    TGOTB wrote:
    menthel wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    menthel wrote:

I don't think you are supposed to enjoy hill climbs, at least not as you are actually riding them.

That is hills in general surely. Hate it on the way up, feeling of pride and achievement whilst lungs explode at the top and then a loud Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! all the way down the other side. I do this on the monster that is Balham hill all the time...
    RIP commute...
  • tgotb
    edited September 2013
    How on earth would anyone in their right mind allow themselves to be sucked down that sort of slippery slope, whether for TT racing or anything else? Utterly foolish.
    That was exactly my point. I've no idea how it happens, but it does; I just woke up one morning to find I had a carbon disc and a pointy helmet.
    I thought you had to have a degree in Ordnance Survey Map Reading to ride TTs in this country. Has that changed since we went metric with money?
    Nah. The courses are normally pretty well signposted once you've located the start. Given that your typical 10 course involves following the road in a straight line for 5 miles, going round a roundabout, and then riding 5 miles back the other way, you'd have to be pretty dim to go wrong. The finish is easy to spot (if you haven't steamed up the visor of your aero helmet) because there'll be a guy sat on the verge in a deckchair, which is an unusual occurrence even in England. Locating the race HQ, however, is another matter entirely. It is also true that some races still have to be entered by filling in a paper entry form and sending it off to the event organiser with a cheque...

Edit: Aside from the space age equipment and the ability to enter *some* events online (new for 2013), I don't think much has changed since decimalisation. Sleeveless tops are still illegal for Open events, though I suspect the real purpose of this rule is to discourage people with poor bike handling...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • Do the Richmond Park TT's next summer. Great intro to TT'ing, anyone can enter and they have a road bike category...

http://www.riderhq.com/events/66789/richmond-park-time-trial-2
  • spasypaddy
    i still need to ride the f20/10... my god that course is fast
  • Isn't the single biggest drawback to entering a TT finding out how quick you aren't?
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • menthel
    Isn't the single biggest drawback to entering a TT finding out how quick you aren't?

I already think I'm slow. Finding out I'm even slower may be soul destrying! ;)
    RIP commute...
  • tgotb
    edited September 2013
    Isn't the single biggest drawback to entering a TT finding out how quick you aren't?
    No, you also have to turn up and ride the course to achieve that.

Besides, there's almost limitless scope for excuses:
    It's a slow course
    It was a slow day
    The course got quicker after I finished
    The course got slower before I started
    My rear brake was rubbing
    I was slowed by traffic at the turn
    My visor steamed up
    My race number was flapping around
    My club skinsuit isn't aero enough
    My gloves aren't aero enough
    I don't have a Kask Bambino
    I was carrying a water bottle
    I wasn't carrying a water bottle
    I wasn't using shoe covers
    The changes I made to my position last night have increased my CdA
    There was a sidewind, and my CdA is higher in yaw
    My Crr is higher because I'm not using tubs
    I shaved my legs the night before the race
    I didn't shave my legs the night before the race
    I'm only using this race for training, so I haven't tapered
    I was late for the start because I couldn't find the HQ

Edit: I think the above is part of the cause of the addiction; there's always *something* you could have done better...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    When do you get your wetsuit and your running shoes?
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • spasypaddy
    TGOTB wrote:
    No, you also have to turn up and ride the course to achieve that.

Besides, there's almost limitless scope for excuses:
    It's a slow course
    It was a slow day
    The course got quicker after I finished
    The course got slower before I started
    My rear brake was rubbing
    I was slowed by traffic at the turn
    My visor steamed up
    My race number was flapping around
    My club skinsuit isn't aero enough
    My gloves aren't aero enough
    I don't have a Kask Bambino
    I was carrying a water bottle
    I wasn't carrying a water bottle
    I wasn't using shoe covers
    The changes I made to my position last night have increased my CdA
    There was a sidewind, and my CdA is higher in yaw
    My Crr is higher because I'm not using tubs
    I shaved my legs the night before the race
    I didn't shave my legs the night before the race
    I'm only using this race for training, so I haven't tapered
    I was late for the start because I couldn't find the HQ

Edit: I think the above is part of the cause of the addiction; there's always *something* you could have done better...
    how many of those excuses did i use at hillingdon this year...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    Nice post OP, and one of the funniest threads I have seen in a while :lol:

I too am mid 30's, have no racing experience, and am very slow.
    However, I have been accruing parts to TT-esque my Felt, so would like to follow suit in the springtime.
    Looking on the map on that website I couldn't see any map that seemed to cover Newbury though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300

When I did my first "10" a few years ago, I found exactly that. I was low 40-something in terms of age, and around 32 minutes in terms of time. But there was a guy 20 years older than me who lapped me at least once, probably twice (my local 10 is 12 and a half laps of a circuit) on the way to 26-something. And he was on a near-standard bike IIRC.

Still, despite getting older, I am getting faster. Did a 27:17 in July -- almost exactly 22mph -- and have started to feel the persuasive call of go-faster accoutrements. Maybe some tri-bars first...
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • menthel
    I am glad that this thread has cheered up some people! ;)

I think leaving it until next season is probably best, seen as its now hill season and I am fat and rubbish at hills. Spinning up hills on your granny ring is probably not the done thing!
    RIP commute...
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    menthel wrote:
    I am glad that this thread has cheered up some people! ;)

I think leaving it until next season is probably best, seen as its now hill season and I am fat and rubbish at hills. Spinning up hills on your granny ring is probably not the done thing!

Cracking thread Sir :D

Definitely got me thinking and more motivated - have e-mailed the Newbury Road Club to see what the deal is with Time Trials they run for next year, and I see they also do hill climbs too, but again one for next year, seeing as my only working bike at the mo is my winterised commuter bike.

I am hoping that repeated time trials, and efforts to get my time down might force me, in a good way, to train more, and thus overall improve my whole cycling experience.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Do it, they're great, in a horrid kind of way.

I did my first year of TT's this season and really enjoyed it, I also liked doing them on my roadbike (before I bought a TT bike) and some of the TT's out there actually almost suit a roadbike just as well as a TT bike!

That said if you want to be at the sharp end of most normal TT's then you'll need a TT bike of sorts I'd imagine, its taken 90 seconds off my ten time. Too much is never enough forme however, do a time you're happy with, then you want to beat it, reach the next milestone etc etc, but maybe that's just me :D

Some good early season events are the Redhill Sporting 18 which is 18 miles round Surrey Hills and doesn't hinder roadbikes too much.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com