which shock pump?

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi all after a new shock pump can anyone recommend one to me?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Doesn't matter, most are re branded Beto. Anything for around £15.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    Yep I have one exactly the same branded Magura.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    I have one of these and it does they job
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... &langId=-1

Don't be put off by the halfords branding as I've had it a year and it works fine
    It does release 5-10 psi when I unscrew it but then again most do

I also know someone with this http://www.biketart.com/63336/products/ ... 2wodTBYAKQ

It does the job for him and I have seen it for £15 so hunt around and you might find a deal
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Yes but you can get cheaper I picked up a £9.99 Beto at Leisure Lakes and On One do the achingly amusingly named Phaart Tommy Squeaker for £14,99

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/TOPHGS02/phaart_tommy_squeaker_shock_pump
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • stubs
    ej2320 wrote:

Its not air coming out of the suspension its the air in the pump itself the Schraeder valve seals before the pump is disconnected.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    stubs wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Its not air coming out of the suspension its the air in the pump itself the Schraeder valve seals before the pump is disconnected.

Oh really?! That's good to know then, I always assumed it was the shock leaking a bit of air
  • cooldad
    The Phaart one is the same as the Halfords one is the same as my Magura one, and is the same as a Fox one I also have.
    All made by Beto AFAIK.
    I also have a RS one which is different to those, but also similar to other Betos.
    So as I said, £15.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    ej2320 wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

Oh really?! That's good to know then, I always assumed it was the shock leaking a bit of air
    And when you reconnect it, the pump gets charged, so the pressure will drop.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    ej2320 wrote:
    stubs wrote:
    ej2320 wrote:

The reason you see a drop of 5 to 10 psi when you reconnect your pump is because pressurised air from the suspension has to refill the pump.
  • Had the Halfords one linked to above , just died with tubing giving way and now leaking air . Decided to get a toppeak from Halfords ( main advantage is a 2 stage valve that does not leak at all , very well reviewed although dearer at £34.00 ) wouldn't go for the cheap Halfords again due to poor build quality .
  • Had the Halfords one linked to above , just died with tubing giving way and now leaking air . Decided to get a toppeak from Halfords ( main advantage is a 2 stage valve that does not leak at all )

Got that on my £15 Beto (and a braided steel hose).
  • cooldad
    This^^^^^^^^^
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    Had the Halfords one linked to above , just died with tubing giving way and now leaking air . Decided to get a toppeak from Halfords ( main advantage is a 2 stage valve that does not leak at all , very well reviewed although dearer at £34.00 ) wouldn't go for the cheap Halfords again due to poor build quality .

I have the Halfords one too and its the same as a Rock Shox one I got a few years ago. Perfectly fine quality, its lasted a few years and still working fine for me. Mine doesn't leak any air (read Cooldad's explanation above).

You can spend loads on shock pump if you want but in my experience the cheap ones are more than up the job.
  • Fully understand the explanation re air leak . My point is the cheap bikehut one has totally died in under a year .
  • cooldad
    My point being most of the more expensive ones are cheap ones with a logo printed on them.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • stubs
    Fully understand the explanation re air leak . My point is the cheap bikehut one has totally died in under a year .

How can you kill a shock pump in under a year mine gets used about once a month if that.
  • +1

and when you do use it, it's a couple of strokes and then it gets chucked back in the tool box
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • Rubber tube perished near valve attachment , now only manages 50 psi and leaks .
  • cooldad
    Rubber tube perished near valve attachment , now only manages 50 psi and leaks .
    You're supposed to stroke it gently, not jerk it around.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I think you should come and help me !
  • cooldad
    Just explain it carefully to your uncle Ernie.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • It's ok I got some good tips in the vasectomy thread.