Saddle advice

Snowy 70
Snowy 70 Posts: 15
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I've been using a Selle SMP extra seat for about 3 months now & I seem to acquire a numb(ish) 'undercarriage' after about 10/15 miles, I've even had to tilt the nose down on this seat as I can still feel pressure there, I've also noticed I tend to stand up more, this seat was supposedly designed to relieve that kind of pressure which I admit did to begin with but as mentioned above, it seems to be getting a little uncomfortable.

I don't have a LBS to be able to loan me different types of seats to try so have been doing some of my own research online into the options available, I'm particularly drawn to the Specialized Romin range, the wide cut out seems very appealing.

My question is this, Is there an alternative seat with this same shape cut out & quality or should I just listen to the hype and purchase this seat?

Any advice or experience of these seats will be gratefully received. :mrgreen:

Comments

• Why are you drawn to the specialized? I did the selle italia id match and would recomend it but finding the 'one' can be a lengthy process
    "It never gets easier, you just go faster"
  • No experience with the seat you mention, but experienced the discomfort you mention.....

Also suffered with this on my road bike. Normally after about 25 miles.
    I took my bike back to the LBS to make sure that the fit was correct. Made a couple of minor adjustments.
    I also binned my padded elastic shorts and purchased a couple of pairs of mid priced bib shorts. I also now stretch before and after ever ride, especially focusing on the glutes and the hamstrings.
    After each ride I also use a foam roller. I have to admit that this has helped quite a lot and whilst my longer rides are not the most comfortable experiences the numbess seems to have gone without the need for a new seat.
  • Thanks for the replies/advice guys... :D
    The reason I was attracted to the Specialized was purely on the size and length of the central cut out.. :)

Woodster, I agree 100% with the bib shorts, since I changed to those I haven't even looked at my old elasticated shorts & after being a footballer for 30 years I can also concur with the stretching exercises before :)
  • I've had similar issues and resorted to the SLR and a bike fit, I've mentioned on another thread but the guy who did my fit said that dropping the nose of the saddle (it's what I had done and it hadn't solved the problem) can be counter productive as you can slide down and then tense your undercarriage causing the same effect.

Whilst the Selle are good have you got the right width? Even with the cutout if it's too narrow you're going to collapse onto your "delicate arteries" (obviously don't mean to try to teach you to suck eggs).

The thing to remember is it is solvable.

Good luck
  • grey_area wrote:
    Whilst the Selle are good have you got the right width? Even with the cutout if it's too narrow you're going to collapse onto your "delicate arteries" (obviously don't mean to try to teach you to suck eggs).

Good point, this is something I've also been thinking about, as I understand it this Selle is 140mm, I've had my assbones measured & 143mm would be my ideal sized seat, also this seat is quite padded, which I also understand can be counter productive, but like all n00bs I fell into the 'I need lots of padding' trap :D
  • Are you sure that it is the saddle that is causing you the discomfort? Is the bike set up correctly for you?
    If this is a new bike and it is slightly too large, then it could be that as you are stretching forward, it puts extra pressure on your "undercarriage". It the bike is not new to you, then is the saddle at the correct height? Different saddles are different depths/lengths, so a new saddle may need the post lowering or raising slightly and the saddle may need moving forward on the rails..
  • pirnie
    pirnie Posts: 242
    I agree with all the comments above re bike fit, but if you do end up changing, consider the ISM Adamo range. Seems to have solved my issues with numbness. TryBike (http://www.trybikestore.co.uk/) also do a free mail order trial for them so you can test one before shelling out for it. (I have no affiliation with them, just a previous happy customer)
  • If it's a cut out saddle you are after, you should look into the Selle San Marco Mantra saddle
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    There's absolutely scientific proof that the Spesh geometry fit system determines which width or type of saddle you should go for. Same with the Fizik Spine concept marketing BS also. If it is indeed your saddle that is your problem, trial and error and trying lots of saddles, that's how you find your perfect perch imo.
  • I went out for a 20 mile ride today & experimented with different seat heights and by lowering it in increments, I've noticed a marked improvement, It's amazing how tiny incremental adjustments make such a huge difference.

I think I will persevere with this saddle for a little longer & see if the difference is evident on longer rides.

Thanks all for your replies & advice. :)