Fitting LEDs to a helmet

monkimark
monkimark Posts: 1,604
edited October 2013 in The workshop
I have an old helmet lying around at home and I'm thinking about making it a winter commuting helmet by attaching a load of small LEDs in the vents all the way round. Probably just order a bunch of components from ebay and make it up as I go along.

I have vague recollections of the relevant formulae from my (long gone) college days and I'm sure I can find relevant information on laying out the circuits online but I wondered if anyone else has done anything similar and had any tips.

Current (very vague) plans involve a few red leds in the rear vents, white in the front vents and maybe yellow on the sides with a battery pack & switch wherever I can fit them. The helmet is purely going to be for winter commuting so it doesn't have to be a work of art and it's all going to stay put once it's installed so no need to make it easy to remove. I guess that once I've worked out what I need and where to put it, waterproofing is going to be my main problem.

Tips and advice greatly appreciated.

Comments

• What about sticking some of them on,ready made,no faffing about.
  • jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    silicone rubber loop lights like the knog frog are pretty easy to attach to helmet vents. Unless you're keen on the whole illuminated helmet idea as an electronics project. You could just buy some LED xmas tree lights and adapt those for a sparkly halo effect.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    jomoj wrote:
    silicone rubber loop lights like the knog frog are pretty easy to attach to helmet vents. t.

this ^^^^ just attach a red one on the back
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • You can get rear (red) LED's off the shelf, unless you're specifically set on building them yourself:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bus ... t-ec012209

Review on bikeradar here:

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... s-09-33412