Which Shoes for Cross

weedram
weedram Posts: 41
edited September 2013 in Cyclocross
My son (16) will be starting his first Cross season. His normal habitat is road and track and will be doing the cross season mainly to hone his race and bike hadling skills.

I have sourced a bike, but he will need shoes, as he only has Sidi Ergo 2 road race shoes just now.

What shoes would be recommended, keeping the budget as low as possible to say £60 or less?

Cheers

Comments

• VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    weedram wrote:
    My son (16) will be starting his first Cross season. His normal habitat is road and track and will be doing the cross season mainly to hone his race and bike hadling skills.

I have sourced a bike, but he will need shoes, as he only has Sidi Ergo 2 road race shoes just now.

What shoes would be recommended, keeping the budget as low as possible to say £60 or less?

Cheers

Good fitting MTB shoes with ratchet straps, that he can run in. If they accept screw in studs, then that's a bonus.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As above, but precisely 'which shoes' will depend on fit. Like any other shoe purchase, you need to try them on.
  • ovi
    ovi Posts: 396
    http://startcycles.co.uk/scott-mtb-team-carbon-shoe-black.html would these be ok for just £10 over budget?
  • simonj
    simonj Posts: 346
    These Diadora may fit the bill :-

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/diad ... -prod55914 (£10 over)

Diadoras always seem cheap at Chainreactions

Else these Shimanos may also suit :-

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-m088-sp ... ike-shoes/
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    I use the MO86 which is the older version of those ones above, only thing is, the bits that look like they take studs don't actually take them. They're still quite good in the mud though.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have a couple of pairs of Diadoras - carbon soles for stiffness and decent rubber soles for grips - some MTB shoes have hard plastic soles which are rubbish when it gets slippy. Mavic shoes are also suited to CX. Less sure about studs - when it's really slippy, only a duck-walk really helps
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • As others have said the fit is important. I ride Northwave road shoes so have gone for Northwave Spartas for this years cross season. They have stud option too if needed and fall inside your budget.
  • I can recommend Specialized or Shimano mtb shoes - If hes racing in muddy conditions with run ups then definitely go for ones with studs (go to sports direct for them!)
    Bring back the original C4 Tour theme tune !

The wife's breastfeeding tops website
  • Bought some Mavic recently from Start Cycles in Newcastle. Reason I bought them is they are Contragrip soles, exactly like my Salomon trail shoes which have been great over the years. Very good so far, true test on Sunday at the 3 peaks. Well discounted as well!
  • I'm currently using a pair of Time MTB shoes (the MXT model) which I'm happy with; they came from CRC as a part-warranty replacement for some mid-range Diadoras (as others have said, CRC seem to have a permanent Diadora sale on!!) which were all well and good until the sole started cracking up around the front where the studs screw in. :(

Personally I'd avoid Vittoria (nowt to do with the tyre maker AFAIK) for off road shoes, I have had the soles detach from the uppers over time. :shock:

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal