How long will 26ers Last?

13»

Comments

• lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    The Rookie wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    650b sits closer to 29" so you should get some benefit, but keep the playful nature of 26ers.
    650B sits closer to 26" (at 27", 29er being actually 28.5") but I suspect this was a typo?

I meant 650b is closer to 29" than 26" is to a 29" wheel. So you get added rollover benefit yet retain some of the agility of 26" wheels. Didn't explain that too well! :lol:

I'm actually quite surprised more people aren't jumping on the bandwagon. With an awful lot of people choosing bikes that can do a bit of everything, in between xc and DH, I find it surprising that people don't see it the same way when it comes to wheelsize and everybody clings to 26" wheels.
  • Any one here ridden one of the 650b wheeled bikes yet, thoughts?
  • lawman wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    650b sits closer to 29" so you should get some benefit, but keep the playful nature of 26ers.
    650B sits closer to 26" (at 27", 29er being actually 28.5") but I suspect this was a typo?

I meant 650b is closer to 29" than 26" is to a 29" wheel. So you get added rollover benefit yet retain some of the agility of 26" wheels. Didn't explain that too well! :lol:

I'm actually quite surprised more people aren't jumping on the bandwagon. With an awful lot of people choosing bikes that can do a bit of everything, in between xc and DH, I find it surprising that people don't see it the same way when it comes to wheelsize and everybody clings to 26" wheels.

I think it has to do with choice, well it is for me. I like my 26" and have just bought a new frame. If the wheel, tyre, fork etc manufacturers stop supporting 26" wheels, then i'm forced to change to something I might not like. I've not tried 650b but I have tried a couple of 29ers and didn't like them at all.

I don't mind change and innovation to make things better but I would like the choice to reun what I want.
  • kangaroo
    kangaroo Posts: 1,199
    I've tried 650b, I took a demo bike out for a weekend and took it down the trails I normally ride.
    my first impression were that I couldn't tell the difference. then I came across a log obstacle (the type that can be either rolled over or used as a small jump) and the bike just rolled over it so easily. On the flipside I found it slightly harder to lean than my normal bike, though this could of been entirely down to it being a different bike than what I normally ride, (as when I took my old enduro out a few weeks later this too was harder to lean)
    overall I was very impressed with the bike and it is top of my list to buy
    what are brakes for again
  • Levi_501
    Levi_501 Posts: 1,105
    I think we should all ride steel framed, 26" wheeled HTs, with 3x8 speed transmissions :mrgreen:

But if there was no progression, manufacturers would not make any money!
  • One issue I can see with 650b downhill bikes is that you want the chain stays as short as possible yet still clear the frame when fully compressed. With 650b that minimum length is at lease half an inch longer.
    Quite a few of the top riders tested 650b and didn't like it.
  • Depends on what size tyre is fitted. A 26er with very large tyre could have a larger overall diameter than a 650b with a small tyre. Without actually riding one on the trails we have to trust the reviewers and racers, who do seem to prefer 650b. I don't think 26 will completely die but 650b will become the most common.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • One issue I can see with 650b downhill bikes
    Depends on what size tyre is fitted

I think we can safely say they would be ginormous DH tyres!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8

with the latest fashion for 2.4/2.5 tyres on trail bikes there's no longer a difference in tyre sizes. My 2.5" dh minions are narrower than a 2.35 hans dampf

with the latest fashion for 2.4/2.5 tyres on trail bikes there's no longer a difference in tyre sizes. My 2.5" dh minions are narrower than a 2.35 hans dampf

Yes, I wasn't really refering to the width. Since there's only 1" difference between a 26 and 650b wheel rim diameter, a tyre on a 26 would only have to be 1/2" higher than one on a 650b to make the overall dia the same. So some 26er frames will actually already cope with 650b wheels.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20