What upgrades first

survivorist
survivorist Posts: 6
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just purchased a Scott Scale 660 2013 and was wondering what components should be on my list for an upgrade first?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/scale-660-2013-mountain-bike-ec042316#features

Comments

• The bits that fail or don't perform well are usualy first on my to do list, it always seemed like a sensible approach to me.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    I'd probably replace the pedals and put some spokey dokeys on it. Other than that it's fine.

If you want a better fork/wheels/brakes/drivetrain, buy a different bike in the first place.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Just to echo what the others have said, why upgrade anything? Is it not doing something very well, so you 'need' to upgrade it?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    if you've just bought it as said above, ride it til something breaks. otherwise I would've just bought a more expensive bike to begin with.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Why would you want to upgrade anything?
    If it all works as it should then ride the bike until things fail or break and then decide what to replace them with.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just purchased a Scott Scale 660 2013 and was wondering what components should be on my list for an upgrade first?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/scott/scale-660-2013-mountain-bike-ec042316#features

Why buy a bike that you for some reason feel isn't up to scratch, surely buy the bike that is up to scratch in the first place. It's easier and works out cheaper (unless you go 2nd hand).

Unless you are referring to small accessories such as valve caps...
  • At this point the only thing I would consider is stuff like the seat, tyres, grips and possibly handlebars.
    Everything else would stay until it wore out or broke.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)