Suggestions for a (slow!), steady comfortable rig

BigAl
BigAl Posts: 3,122
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
This summer I have taken to riding with my two 12 year old sons. Generally fairly long rides (in time not distance). I live in the Chilterns so the terrain isn't terribly frightening, but there are plenty of steep, chalky climbs and obviously the matching descents too. We don't ride fast or hard, just dad out having a great time with his lads.

Now, I love my Anthem and I have no desire to change it. It suits my solo rides, which tend to be short blasts, perfectly. And it's fine for riding with my lads too. But I do fancy something a little more comfortable for riding with them. Something with a more relaxed riding position.

I have all the parts I need to build a pretty decent 2nd bike. Recons (100mm), XT on Mavic wheels, juicy 5s, Race Face cranks, plenty of gears and finishing bits. Everything I need except a frame.

So which frame? Obvious candidates would be a steel HT - and there are plenty to choose from. An Inbred probably ticks most the boxes and is cheap as chips. Obviously I could spend more and get something a bit more 'boutique'. (I do like the Soul). But that's not my question.

I've struggled with lower back pain for 10 years plus and worry that a HT might cause it to flare up.

You know where I'm going on this! I could buy something like an old Trance frame secondhand for say £200 to £300. It has a more relaxed position than my Anthem and would give my back the TLC it needs, but it's overkill for what I need (and might need a little longer fork). And I don't really want to lug a full susser around on social rides with my kids!

The HT is the right bike for this type of riding, but is a secondhand short(ish) travel FS with a more relaxed position a better bet for my spine, and if so what suggestions do you have?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Anthem still sounds the best bet to me for this! Not sure another bike with those parts and forks will be drastically more comfrotable - different maybe - but not the bike you might imagine.
  • BigAl
    BigAl Posts: 3,122
    You may well be right Sonic.

My Position on the Anthem is quite high and it's long. It's not uncomfortable, bit it does make you want to ride fast and hard (nothing wrong with that!) But it just doesn't feel suited to lazy rides with the kids. With the kids i want to sit upright, chat with them and admire the views. It's quite a different type of riding than what I do solo.

A steel HT is the right type of bike (IMO), and available cheaply.

If choosing from scratch - what would you choose for 'social' riding. I'd be surprised if it was an Anthem (or even a Zaskar :wink: )
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd just get a reasonable second hand frame, carrera frames are perfectly good and can be had for about £35 off fleabay.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.