Garmin Noob Advice

Wormishere1
Wormishere1 Posts: 284
edited September 2013 in MTB general
Hi,

Just got myself an Edge 800 and have just about got to grips with it. But...if I stop to open a gate etc on a Strava segment and press stop on the device, then restart when I am going again, will Strava recognise this pause period? I.e. can I still use a pause on a segment and get recognition for completing the segment? I have just been using a GPS tracker on my Blackberry and then uploading to Strava. Some of the routes have 6 gates on and I am sure this is the only way it is possible to get their times!

Cheers!
Remember Rule #5

Comments

• Strava goes on total time iirc, not riding time.

Ie, riding time for a loop may be 40 mins, but my strava pb will be total time of 50 mins (assuming I had a 10 min break)
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Hi,

Just got myself an Edge 800 and have just about got to grips with it. But...if I stop to open a gate etc on a Strava segment and press stop on the device, then restart when I am going again, will Strava recognise this pause period? I.e. can I still use a pause on a segment and get recognition for completing the segment? I have just been using a GPS tracker on my Blackberry and then uploading to Strava. Some of the routes have 6 gates on and I am sure this is the only way it is possible to get their times!

Cheers!

Why stop and restart, use the auto pause function to kick in when you physically stop (although be warned when in a low GPS area it can think you're stopped when you're not which is annoying but thats very rare) and start up again when you move automatically.

Strava will recognise anything you record and you don't need to force pauses just record the whole route and Strava will pick out the sections automatically. If your GPS isn't recording and you forget to hit start again you won't get the strava section.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Usually for me, if I pause my garmin during a segment, Strava doesn't pick it up. Ride your bike, there'll be plenty of other segments out there to try for!
  • Mikey41
    Mikey41 Posts: 690
    I turned off the auto-pause, and I never stop the timer on the Garmin when I'm out. Strava calculates average ride speed on moving time only and segments are measured on actual time.

I don't aim for others times on Strava anyway, I just look for PB's
    Giant Defy 2 (2012)
    Giant Defy Advanced 2 (2013)
    Giant Revel 1 Ltd (2013)
    Strava