I'm an idiot

rubertoe
rubertoe Posts: 3,994
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
I just sold my focus today, thinking that my kaffenback was going to be shipped out today, its not now till next Monday.

do I.

a) get the tube for a week and suck it up?
B) panic buy a cheap bike of eBay for no more than its going to cost me for tube.
c) beg, borrow or steal something?
d) other?

not sure if I can cope with 7/8 days on the tube. I have one day to get this sorted.

help.
"If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills

Comments

• You're an idiot.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    1 bike?

Jeez no hope for you fella
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    What he said. You need a couple spare at least. Also now my son is big enough I can steal his bikes if necessary.
    If you can't borrow one, buy one. Or, go on holiday.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    i have a fixie you can borrow or alternatively a CX but not got any slicks for it...
  • Can lend my winter bike if interested: Shimano peds and mudguards in SE london from Friday.
  • You live in London, just steal one of those Boris Bikes.
  • It would pain me too in your situation, but I would stick to your guns and remortgage your house for a travelcard. Think of all the strange looking/rude/smelly/miserable* and cramped conditions you'll be blessed with. :D

Also, you probably won't get on with the temporary bike anyway.

BTW, I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't have IMBS (Imelda Marcos Bike Sydrome).

(*delete as appropriate)
    Reporter: "What's your prediction for the fight?"
    Clubber Lang: "Prediction?"
    Reporter: "Yes. Prediction"
    Clubber Lang: "....Pain!!!"
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,799
    Go on holiday for a week.
  • rubertoe
    Cheers for all your kind words of support, I have managed to obtain the service's of a sectuer from a friend, will pick up tonight, luckily I won't have to get the tube. I'm off today.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

• n-1... It'll never catch on...
  • rubertoe
    The Secteur is actually really nice to ride and it beats the tube hands down.

Toe clips are the devils work though (I couldnt remove the pedals and I didnt want to round them off trying as its not my bike and they would be going in the bin). I should of gone for Spasys fixe, as i am sure that it would of had SPD SL's...

Roll on next week when the kaff gets here.

I am going to have to get an emergency N+1 before the baby comes....

• itboffin
    Ah didnt we talk about my Ribble frameset just before I went on one of my recent holidays?

let me check my PM inbox
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rubertoe
    ITB, we did indeed talk about your ribble, but that idea has now been shelved and all the parts that i acquired for a build have now been sold....

Spasypaddy, I managed the wrangle the rat traps free and I put the pedals i had knocking about on. So its all good.

Cheers anyway guys.

• spasypaddy
    if when it comes to giving it back the old pedals are knackered i have a pair of flats with cages in a draw at home that you are welcome to for NOTHING.

NOTHING!

I wont take any more of your money for fear of reprisals from your better half :lol:
  • rubertoe
    The bike is going back to him with the SPD - SLs on there, along with a pair of shoes and cleats - I wont allow him to ride on those rat (death) traps. I actually cant belive that they give them away with new bikes, I actually was scared using them yesterday.

• rubertoe
    Feckityfeckfeck. Damn punctures on the loan bike wasn't supposed to happen. I did learn though, that you don't need levers for the removal and fitting of specialized all weather tyres and that they are basically made of straw.

• itboffin
    specialized tyres pah! you'd be better with wrapping the inner tube with toilet paper at least you'd have something to wipe your hands with.
  • rubertoe
    edited September 2013
    New rant re: the loan bike today.

The gears: wow they are slipping all over the place. FFS. I swear my mate only lent it to me so I could give it a full service. Which I will, as I cant be doing with gear slipage and when shifting up one the chain smoothly shifts up two.

One last thing, the thumb shift button really gets on my nerves....

• EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I can't decide if Rubertoe is a bad person to lend things to because he's an ungrateful sod or a good person to lend things to because he will fix any problems with what you lend him.

Either way, new bike soon and fettling the loan bike. That has to be the very definition of a win-win situation!
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • spasypaddy
    so what you're saying is, is you should definitely have borrowed my fixie
  • rubertoe
    spasypaddy wrote:
    so what you're saying is, is you should definitely have borrowed my fixie

Although never having ridden fixed i am not sure how i would of got on....

But yes, I should of.

• rubertoe
    I rode in on the kaffenback this morning. Its lovely to ride and comfy too, if a little on the heavy side. It needs a bit of adjustment, saddle and stem heights but i'll get there...

Already looking at ways to shed a pound or two (wheels, carbon bars, stem and seatpost and a carbon fork) and will update the groupo as it wears, it's good to be back on paddle shifters as opposed to thumbshifters, which because of the way that I position my hands on the hoods really rubs my thumbs.

Fisrt thing, will be a cheap fix and that will be to double wrap the bars as I like them to be thick.

Firts impressions are :lol::lol:

The sectuer is going back tonight, but other than the gripes mentioned its going back in better shape than it came...

• rubertoe wrote:

Already looking at ways to shed a pound or two (wheels, carbon bars, stem ).....
    So, you'll have a spare wheelset, forks, bars, stem and seatpost? Keep your eyes open for a cheap frame off ebay and you'll have most of a second bike! Couple of trips to a bike recyclers for brakes and a chainset, a few quid on consumables and you have the makings of a winter hack.
    Your biggest hassle is likely to be the rear hub. Fix that (and I use the word advisedly) and you'll be sorted.

Cheers,
    W.