Smart light Fizik saddle mount

rolf_f
rolf_f Posts: 16,015
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
I thought I'd celebrate my 10 millionth or whatever post with something more constructive than my usual whiny cynicism! This might not be of use to many but possibly one or two might like it.

As any fule no, the Smart R1 and R2 are pretty much the most logical rear light choice you can make - insanely bright and ultra cheap. Only problem is mounting them. You get a seat stay mount which works well enough on tubular bike frames but not on wobbly carbon frames and a seatpost mount which is fine until you decide a saddle bag makes more sense than a rucksack or panniers. And this was my situation.

Now, I happen to have a recently broken click fit Fizik saddle bag. Unfortunately, the part of the mount that attaches to the bag itself wasn't a match for high speed alpine descents on ropey French potholed tarmac and it cracked. I'm not the only one. It left me with need for a new seat bag and some apparently useless bits of plastic and cloth. However, it turns out that you can attach the Smart bracket to the Fizik mount fairly easily.

Infact, it almost goes on as if it were meant to. I did find that it mounted slightly asymmetrically and slightly lopsidedly. The former was corrected my using a Minicraft drill with a sanding disc to remove some plastic from the side face of the Smart mount and the latter was corrected by using the same disc to remove some of the plastic on the radiused face of the mount. The original screw and bolt (fixed with a bit of araldite for extra security) was all that was needed. It looks pretty neat and removes either by the Smart of the Fizik mounts.

I have a decent amount of seat pillar exposed and that gave me enough space to fit and remove my Carradice saddle bag on SQR mount without taking off the light. Any less and the light would need to be removed but that would hardly be a big bother.

Even if you don't want to cannibalise a non broken Fizik bag, if you do have a spare this method can be used as you don't have to modify the Fizik clip at all. And even the Smart clip can still be returned to its original mount.

Apols for the crap picture but I haven't got a decent camera at the moment. Once I do I might take a pic of the overall effect. Possibly supported by a Fibre Flare that I reckon might fit nicely to the Carradice.

P6060060_zpscd2e4a62.jpg
Faster than a tent.......

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    congrats but you do realise that on achieving the mystical 10k post milestone you now have to buy a round, for EVERYONE!

I'll have a pint of gold please :D
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    itboffin wrote:
    congrats but you do realise that on achieving the mystical 10k post milestone you now have to buy a round, for EVERYONE!

I'll have a pint of gold please :D

But of course. After you've bought me a drink for your 10k! 8)

PS please shout out if ITB hasn't bought you his 10,000th post celebratory pint yet!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    bought and drunk hick!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.