2300 to 105 Upgrade

Yslen
Yslen Posts: 55
edited September 2013 in Workshop
Hi,

Apologies to those that are annoyed by multiple similar threads, as I know there's one just down the page, but for my own peace of mind I'd like to get direct feedback about what I'm planning to do.

I'm going to be ordering some 105 stuff for my 2300 equipped Allez later on today, and I am planning to do the swap myself, as it seems silly to miss the perfect opportunity to learn how to do this stuff. I'm replacing almost the entire groupset, but leaving the brakes as they're fine. I've gone for seperate items rather than a complete groupset as it works out quite a lot cheaper (no brakes, lower spec cassette etc).

What I'm ordering;

- 105 gear levers, bundled with cables, 10-speed/double
- 105 front and rear mechs (rear is short cage), 10-speed/double
- 11-25 10-speed cassette (Tiagra)
- Ultegra 6700 BB, english standard
- 105 10-speed chain
- 105 5700 10-speed chainset, 39/53, 172.5mm length
- new grip tape
- Icetoolz Essence tool kit

Now, I've done a fair bit of reading and am reasonably familiar with bikes, but there will be quite a few jobs I've not done before, namely replacing crankset, BB and cassette. I'm aware there are some excellent video guides on park tools etc so will be following those, but might be coming back here for specific advice!

Can anyone see any glaring mistakes with what I'm planning, what I've ordered, the tools I'll need/have ordered, or the difficulty of any of the tasks I'm going to be undertaking?

I'm reasonably competant with stuff like this, but I figure that I'll always have the option of pathetically dragging my half-dismantled bike to the LBS and begging for help ;)

Cheers,

Yslen

Comments

• Looks ok.

You will need the right BB tool, a cassette tool and a chain whip. Make sure you have a cable/outer cutter, you will need it and it is probably not in the Icetoolz kit although it will probably have the rest?

BB can be a bu**er to get undone sometimes, otherwise there is nothing difficult in this.

Take your time over the bar tape, the more care you take the better it will look. Remember which way things like BBs come undone.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    you might need two different BB tools, depending on what your taking off BB wise.

It might be square taper and the new one will be a hollowtech 2 type, they differ.

Get the best cable cutter you can.

tighten the crank (non drive side) bolts evenly.

take your time with the tape.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • Yslen
    owenlars wrote:
    You will need the right BB tool
    11B1 Shimano/ISIS compatible is included in the kit, which I think will work for both the 2300 coming out and the 6700 going in.
    a cassette tool
    09C1 tool included, which I think is correct... still need to read up on how to use this though!
    and a chain whip
    there's one of those in there too, as above
    Make sure you have a cable/outer cutter
    I don't have one of these, any suggestions for a decent one that isn't too expensive?
    Remember which way things like BBs come undone
    My understanding is that it should loosen in the clockwise direction on the drive side, anticlockwise on the non-drive side?

I've done bar tape before, so should be okay there, so long as I go for a decent colour this time around! Red looks rubbish on a red bike if it's not quite the right shade! :roll:

Will I need a specific type of grease for installing the new crankset and BB? I've got some weldtite lithium grease, would that do for the crankset spindle? Will I need to order some anti-sieze for the BB threads?
  • Yslen
    rubertoe wrote:
    you might need two different BB tools, depending on what your taking off BB wise.

It might be square taper and the new one will be a hollowtech 2 type, they differ.
    Correct, square taper coming off, HT2 going on. Both seem to use the 20-spline system though, unless my visual inspection of the bike was way off the mark.
    Okay, I'll try and find a proper one. Suggestions welcomed!
  • Yslen
    Right, ordered everything. Went with the Park cable cutters, seemed to be the benchmark. Decided to stick with standard grease for the BB after reading around.

Thanks for your help, I'll post back if I have issues!
  • Yslen wrote:
    rubertoe wrote:

Correct, square taper coming off, HT2 going on. Both seem to use the 20-spline system though, unless my visual inspection of the bike was way off the mark.
    Okay, I'll try and find a proper one. Suggestions welcomed!
    The Square taper tool fits internally to the bottom bracket, with lots of little splines, the Hollowtech tool fits outside the bottom bracket with rounder bits. They are never the same - so way off! :)

Also, remember that the RHS screws the wrong way and the amount of effort to shift an old BB can be immense. If it doesn't shift immediately (start on the LHS), get a suitable bolt and rig something up to fasten the tool onto the BB using the BB axle to bolt onto as you will soon destroy BB and tool.

Having said that, sometimes they just come off. If it really, really won't shift, first check which way you are turning, then ask for tips - there are a gazillion things to try.

When screwing the new BB in, it should screw in by hand fairly readily nearly all the way. If it doesn't, then the threads might need a clean out which needs a trip to the LBS.
  • Yslen
    The Square taper tool fits internally to the bottom bracket, with lots of little splines, the Hollowtech tool fits outside the bottom bracket with rounder bits. They are never the same - so way off! :)

Looking at the image of the tool kit then, the square taper tool is on the right at the front, the hollowtech is on the left at the front?

4451_icetoolz_essence_tool_kit.jpg
    Also, remember that the RHS screws the wrong way and the amount of effort to shift an old BB can be immense. If it doesn't shift immediately (start on the LHS), get a suitable bolt and rig something up to fasten the tool onto the BB using the BB axle to bolt onto as you will soon destroy BB and tool.

Okay, I'll just have to try and see. The bike is only just over a year old and it's been well cared for, if that has any bearing on how badly seized the bottom bracket is going to be.

I'll post back here if I run into problems with it. Thanks!
  • I guess it's too late now that you've ordered stuff, but Shimano chains really are awful.

I did a very similar groupset upgrade last winter, all 5700 components inc chain and I just could not get it running quite right even from new. Always felt a little bit rough and the indexing seemed to fall out of line very quickly. I was cursing selling my old Tiagra bits so quickly, thinking it was just the way this new-fangled 10 speed stuff was, needing constant maintenance. Eventually switched out to a KMC X10L chain this summer and all was cured, silky smooth shifting and needs just as little attention as the old 9 speed set up.

Good luck though, it'll be worth the upgrade.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Correct; Hollowtech 2 tool bottom left, Shimano square taper bottom right.

You're good to go!
  • Yslen
    I guess it's too late now that you've ordered stuff, but Shimano chains really are awful.

I did a very similar groupset upgrade last winter, all 5700 components inc chain and I just could not get it running quite right even from new. Always felt a little bit rough and the indexing seemed to fall out of line very quickly. I was cursing selling my old Tiagra bits so quickly, thinking it was just the way this new-fangled 10 speed stuff was, needing constant maintenance. Eventually switched out to a KMC X10L chain this summer and all was cured, silky smooth shifting and needs just as little attention as the old 9 speed set up.

Good luck though, it'll be worth the upgrade.

I'll just wait and see, I suppose, but thanks for the warning!

I've been wanting a groupset upgrade for ages, in some form or another, but I've been holding off. The rubbish shifters and beginner-friendly gear ratios of the 2300 compact weren't annoying enough to justify the upgrade to 105, and the tiers in between didn't seem worth it. Fortunately, Merlin have some pretty crazy deals on at the moment, so it's suddenly financially viable as an upgrade!

I'm very much looking forward to the arrival of a courier tomorrow!
    keef66 wrote:
    Correct; Hollowtech 2 tool bottom left, Shimano square taper bottom right.

You're good to go!

Thanks! Just need to find my dad's old torque wrench, not sure where he's hidden it.