Costa Concordia Salvage

simonhead
simonhead Posts: 1,399
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
Anyone watching any of the coverage, its quite interesting how they are doing it,
Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.

Comments

• Amazing. Are they pumping water out of the hull today, or will that wait till the air bags on the submerged side are fitted?
  • simonhead
    The italian guy from Microperi the salvage company was saying they plan to right it, didnt hear anything about starting pumping, the BBC translation was pretty quiet and i couldnt make out much of it over the Italian.
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    £500,000,000 so far for the rescue, that will increase by £200,000,000 by the time its complete and the salvage is less than £5,000,000 with the original cost being less than the salvage.

An expensive wave :(
    Living MY dream.
  • simonhead
    It is a huge amount of money but what's the alternative? Can't really just leave it where it is, can't chop it up on site due to environmental issues.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    I don't see why it can't be left where it is. OK it's a bit of an eyesore but there are plenty of visible shipwrecks around. It would act as a shrine to those who lost their lives and also act as a warning to future ship's captains!
  • VTech
    I think the issue is that it still remains a grave until the remaining two bodies are found ?

Also, isnt there still millions of gallons of crude left onboard still ?
    Living MY dream.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:

It was diesel, a couple of thousand tonnes, 500,000 gallons, about 3/4 of an olympic size swimming pool and it was pumped out in april last year, took 5 weeks to pump it out.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • simonhead
    The time lapse and upright videos on the BBC site are quite incredible.
  • VTech
    team47b wrote:
    VTech wrote:

It was diesel, a couple of thousand tonnes, 500,000 gallons, about 3/4 of an olympic size swimming pool and it was pumped out in april last year, took 5 weeks to pump it out.

The BBC the other day were saying one of the dangers was to not release the remaining fuel that couldnt be pumped out ? Anyway, looks like it is going well ?
    Living MY dream.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    VTech wrote:
    team47b wrote:
    VTech wrote:

The BBC the other day were saying one of the dangers was to not release the remaining fuel that couldnt be pumped out ? Anyway, looks like it is going well ?

Weren't there still a few bodies un-accounted for too :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • anthdci
    anthdci Posts: 543
    arran77 wrote:

2, one passenger and one crew. The ship should be stable now so they can safely search properly in the hope of finding them. I'm sure I read that is has moved about 3 metres since it sunk.

I am interested to see how they attach the floating boxes to the damaged side since it is such a mess. It will obviously be considerably harder than the ok side since they will have to be fitted below the waterline.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    anthdci wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

2, one passenger and one crew. The ship should be stable now so they can safely search properly in the hope of finding them. I'm sure I read that is has moved about 3 metres since it sunk.

I am interested to see how they attach the floating boxes to the damaged side since it is such a mess. It will obviously be considerably harder than the ok side since they will have to be fitted below the waterline.

After all that time in water that won't be a pleasant discovery :?
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn