Cycle Maintenance & Servicing

dmccart32
dmccart32 Posts: 18
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Hi all,

Apart from the people who service their own bikes, for market research purposes, please can you let me know whether you would consider spreading the cost of servicing your bike over the course of a year for under £10 per month? (I.e. two services a year at 6 month intervals)

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Depends on the level of service and if it was a mobile service or not.

I would pay for a thorough service on a monthly basis if it was mobile but not if I had to take the bike to the shop.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    It would depend what those two services included but assuming it was a fairly big service then less than £10 a month seems reasonable.
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Yes, it would be a mobile service @ home or workplace.
  • simonhead
    simonhead Posts: 1,399
    Dont ask the question in commuting, you are liable to get a roasting.
    Life isnt like a box of chocolates, its like a bag of pic n mix.
  • What would you include for a 60 quid service?
  • That is to be decide, but it would be a full service you would expect to get a local shop.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    No. I get services intermittently depending on what events I intend to do and how I've used my bike through the year. I decide on the level of service when I'm booking it in.
  • dmccart32 wrote:
    That is to be decide, but it would be a full service you would expect to get a local shop.

So in essence strip, inspect, clean, grease/lubricate and rebuild. Replacement parts extra of course.
  • I'd rather take my bike to an established shop and have them complete the service rather than have some nobody come to my house and do it. They'll have all the proper tools and equipment for whatever the job required. I'll also have a better warranty on the work should any issues arise from it. Also, I hate having any type of workmen around my house as you have to keep an eye on them, with a LBS you drop the bike off at night and collect it the following even which is no hassle at all.

A lot of shops have on their website details of the services they provide including cost and what they'll do. You'd have to at least undercut these guys. I trust you've done your research to see what the competition offers in your local area.
  • owenlars wrote:
    dmccart32 wrote:
    That is to be decide, but it would be a full service you would expect to get a local shop.

So in essence strip, inspect, clean, grease/lubricate and rebuild. Replacement parts extra of course.

Yes, something along those lines.
  • BrandonA wrote:
    I'd rather take my bike to an established shop and have them complete the service rather than have some nobody come to my house and do it. They'll have all the proper tools and equipment for whatever the job required. I'll also have a better warranty on the work should any issues arise from it. Also, I hate having any type of workmen around my house as you have to keep an eye on them, with a LBS you drop the bike off at night and collect it the following even which is no hassle at all.

A lot of shops have on their website details of the services they provide including cost and what they'll do. You'd have to at least undercut these guys. I trust you've done your research to see what the competition offers in your local area.

Ok, so if you had the option to take it to your local shop would it appeal to you to have the option of spreading the payments over the year?
  • mrfpb wrote:
    No. I get services intermittently depending on what events I intend to do and how I've used my bike through the year. I decide on the level of service when I'm booking it in.

What he said.
  • Out of interest - how would it work at the outset? Would you get your bike serviced and then effectively pay for it over the next 6months in monthly payments? Or would you start making payments every month and you wouldn't be eligible for the first service until you'd made 6 payments?
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"