Campagnolo 11 speed groups

spanner239
spanner239 Posts: 181
edited September 2013 in Workshop
I am just about to pull the trigger on a Campagnolo Athena 11 speed group set. Apart from the power torque / ultra torque differences on the bottom bracket are the Record/Chorus/Athena groups functionally interchangeable?

I would ideally run Record or Chorus shifters with everything else Athena because the shifters are just so much smoother for minimal extra cost. Will this work ok?

Not sure any other parts are worth upgrading, especially as my frame already has a power torque bottom bracket installed, so will probably stick with Athena for everything else.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    It'll work fine. Not that there's owt wrong with Athena shifters. I have full Athena on one bike and SR on another. Tbh, the SR isn't... Errr.... Oh boll0cks, SR is freaking amazing.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • For best value/performance I'd go something like Chorus shifters/chainset and Athena everything else. Power Torque is worth avoiding IMO (if you work on your own bikes) and Ultrashift is a bit nicer, although Powershift is fine.
  • Oh, and if you have a press-fit frame then you may want to look at the new 'Over Torque' Campag chainset which should work better than the various adapters available up til now.
  • Oh, and if you have a press-fit frame then you may want to look at the new 'Over Torque' Campag chainset which should work better than the various adapters available up til now.

Frame is BB30 so may well be worth waiting for 'Over Torque' I guess, any idea on price??
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I would hold fire and buy the Chorus Shifters, I have had Athena UT and tried my mates bike with Athena PT, chalk and cheese, didn't like the one cassette shift at a time and couldn't wait to get back to my bikes, I ride SR and Record and really wouldn't want to be restricted with PT.
  • spanner239 wrote:
    Oh, and if you have a press-fit frame then you may want to look at the new 'Over Torque' Campag chainset which should work better than the various adapters available up til now.

Frame is BB30 so may well be worth waiting for 'Over Torque' I guess, any idea on price??

None whatsoever I'm afraid, but I suspect it won't be cheap initially if it's designed to go with their higher groupets.
  • Bit of an update, decided to go with a full Athena group with the alloy Athena crankset (may upgrade to Over Torque later when released!). Upgraded to Record shifters and of course the Athena group has Chorus chain and cassette.

Awesome deal, cost £540 all in from Ribble, ordered Sunday night arrived 7:45 this morning!