2014 bikes wait.

mike hunts alpine
mike hunts alpine Posts: 765
edited September 2013 in MTB general
Ordered a custom build orange alpine 2014 in July and I'm still told I'm going to be waiting at least another 3 weeks! been given money of and £100 of free accessories of my choice and price matched to compensate for this, which has made the dreadful anticipation of when I'll get to ride it a bit easier.
Is anybody else having trouble with 2014 bikes taking so long because of high demand?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe it just took a while to find enough old girders.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Filing cabinet scrapping has been down.

September 2013 is hardly long to wait for a 2014 bike...
  • It is when I was originally told 3 to 5 weeks...

Plenty of scrapped missiles coming on the market from Syria in the next ten weeks though, so id expect that's the time frame for delivery. :wink:
  • Loads of brands still not available to order, even though the model line up is released.

Perhaps Orange know they can keep people hanging as their customer base is pretty loyal?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    My riding buddy ordered his Canyon Road Bike last autumn, he only got in just in time for the Ride London sportive in July. That's a wait for a new bike.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    prawny wrote:
    My riding buddy ordered his Canyon Road Bike last autumn, he only got in just in time for the Ride London sportive in July. That's a wait for a new bike.
    Bugger that. Life's too short.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Plenty of scrap steel around, unfourtunetly Orange need scrap alloy so they are waiting on some 747's being scrapped, BA will be doing theirs starting late next year.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad wrote:
    prawny wrote:

+1. I'd rather get an older model that's already in stock and get riding. Usually cheaper too, win win
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • ej2320
    ej2320 Posts: 1,543
    My frame isn't due till November..
  • Before anyone comments I know caravans aren't bikes but they also have long lead times, I think it's all to do with building in batches. Orange may build all their 5's in one batch, then move on to alpines etc. Caravan makers also do this sort of thing. So you have long lead times if they're not due to build.
    Planet X Kaffenback 2
    Giant Trance X2
    Genesis High Latitude 2x10
    Planet X n2a
    Genesis Core 20
  • cooldad wrote:
    prawny wrote:

+1. I'd rather get an older model that's already in stock and get riding. Usually cheaper too, win win

Didn't care much for the 2013 model and the forks and shocks from last year were apparently shit, so when I seen the new one it looked far better spec wise as well as looks.

The Rookie wrote:
    Plenty of scrap steel around, unfourtunetly Orange need scrap alloy so they are waiting on some 747's being scrapped, BA will be doing theirs starting late next year.

Plus the previous model was made from recycled Pepsi cans and I'm a coca cola guy....
    This years is a blend of Heinz tins and Decommissioned harrier jump jets. :lol:
    And every man loves beans and planes.
  • :lol: Can't argue with that!
    "Why have that extra tooth if you're not using it?" - Brian Lopes

Votec V.SX Enduro 'Alpine Thug' 2012/2013 build

Trek Session 8
  • I think it's all to do with building in batches. Orange may build all their 5's in one batch, then move on to alpines etc. So you have long lead times if they're not due to build.

Sounds logical - saves fannying about constantly moving jigs around etc, I guess.
  • I think it's all to do with building in batches. Orange may build all their 5's in one batch, then move on to alpines etc. So you have long lead times if they're not due to build.

Sounds logical - saves fannying about constantly moving jigs around etc, I guess.

I did think that after watching that guy martin video and its just 5s galore not another frame in sight or being made.
  • My LBS has just got in a new silver 650b Five RS (with black Pikes). I know there's a lot of anti Orange sentiment in here (and I've never ridden one, so no idea what they're like), but it does look rather nice. It's a rather salty £4200 though...
  • Maybe they've had an issue with their machinery... they'd have to send someone back to the stone age for spare parts..

Either that or they're all on a well needed welding course.