Things I am yet to do on a bike...

mpatts
mpatts Posts: 1,010
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I turned the first road pedal in January this year. Now done almost 4k on the bike, so I got to think about things to look forward to (and some not to look forward to)

1) I'm yet to join a club
2) I'm yet to fall off at any speed
3) I'm yet to break a collar bone
4) I'm yet to shave my legs
5) I'm yet to 'get won by' a man on a brompton
6) I'm yet to get stung 'in the helmet' by a wasp/bee

Anything else to look forward to?

Things that I have done that I wouldn't have believed this time last year:

1) Watched and enjoyed all the grand tours
2) Actually prefer to wear lycra
3) Got bothered enough about Cadence to buy a cadence meter
4) Sold my race car to buy a carbon bike, and have room in the garage to house it (and it's increasing number of friends)

I must write up my first years cycling experience - it's been a bloody brilliant one.
Insert bike here:

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I'm yet to be too bothered about what I do or don't achieve on the bike :P
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • mpatts
    arran77 wrote:
    I'm yet to be too bothered about what I do or don't achieve on the bike :P

I should have added that as point 1!
    Insert bike here:
  • I started in May, but I've joined a club, and enjoy doing 50/60 miles on Saturdays and 40 miles on Thursdays with them when I can.

I've fallen off once at speed, in the wet, must have hit a white line, when turning right at a junction. Also had two spills at 0mph getting used to my cleats (In my defence they were both at the same junction on a blind bend. I'd decided to go, heard something coming too fast, stopped and not unclipped in time)

I got stung on the head by a bee in June, on the same day as one of my 0mph falls - both in the first 3 miles. It took a lot not to just turn home thinking it wasn't going to be my day!

Main things to look forward to:
    My first 100 miler. Furthest so far is 75 on the Malvern Mad Hatter a few weeks ago.
    Being able to take my turn on the front with my club being confident in my pace, and where we're going

Also, I've done a minimum of 100 miles a week since the first week in June, so just seeing how long I can keep that up for.
  • elderone
    elderone Posts: 1,410
    Good post.I started last September and like you got totally hooked.Not done 1 2 3 5 or 6 so far.Also watched more cycling than I,d have thought possible and prefer lycra.
    One thing I have done and I hope you don't is get knocked off.It happened to me after 6 weeks riding and took about 8 weeks to throw a leg over a bike again.
    My longest ride is 76 miles and I,m still crap at hills but I get the most pleasure out of climbing them.Goal is still 100miler and hardknott pass climb.
    Dulce et decorum est Pro patria mori
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Yay, done 1234 and 5... And 123

Also done that falling off while clipped in thing a few times
  • Been cycling since December -
    Best thing I did was join a club, riding in different groups really pushes you. Good social aspects too.

Never thought I would ever buy a HRM but did this summer.
    Dont think Ill ever shave the legs though.
    Fell off clipped in at 0mph in front of 2 neighbours in December - they still talk about it today!
    Always weary of the fall and am scared to go fast round corners in the wet.
  • I ticked off one by surprise the other day. Descending on the road bike at pace and recent rain had managed to destroy what was left of the road surface, leaving something akin to a drainage bar across the road. Bunny hopped it mtb style without giving it a second thought.

Extremely minor, but in my head I felt like the next Martyn Ashton (less the spine breakages - get well soon!)
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    mpatts wrote:
    I turned the first road pedal in January this year. Now done almost 4k on the bike, so I got to think about things to look forward to (and some not to look forward to)

1) I'm yet to join a club
    2) I'm yet to fall off at any speed
    3) I'm yet to break a collar bone
    4) I'm yet to shave my legs
    5) I'm yet to 'get won by' a man on a brompton
    6) I'm yet to get stung 'in the helmet' by a wasp/bee

I'm happy to sort 2, 3 and 5 for you. I think a stick in the front spokes whilst overtaking you would do the trick. :D:D:D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • 6wheels
    6wheels Posts: 411
    After fifty years on a bike, I've never been out when its been snowing. Think I'd need an MTB for that!

A one handed wheelie would be good as well, I'd want flat pedals for a very quick foot down for both of these.
  • djm501
    djm501 Posts: 378
    mpatts wrote:
    2) Actually prefer to wear lycra

This is a slippery slope - next comes a love of silk and then you're onto lingerie...
  • He needs to complete point 4. Once the guns are shaved then out comes the wife's silk stockings...we all know its the next step! ;o)
  • lotus49
    lotus49 Posts: 763
    I haven't had sex on mine yet.

I'm still hopeful but then, I'm a glass half-full sort of a chap.
  • lotus49 wrote:

after a long ride sometimes it feels like ive had sex on mine. ;)
  • mpatts
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:

Sore bum :D
    Insert bike here:
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    lotus49 wrote:

Steady :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,120
    I've not done a (miles) 100, although I have done a metric ton (77 miles is my best) (it nearly killed me...)

Fallen off / come off at various speeds. It usually hurts.

Had wasps in helmet, but the little fckuckers haven't stung me yet. They've stung every other part of my body, mind... :evil:

Swallowed enough bugs to keep a small child fed for a year

Sex on a bike? The frankly, my opportunities are limited so athletic nookie is strictly out. I can injure myself on a bike just fine without involving someone else.

Can I add: I've made someone nearly die of shock by sneaking up on a climb and saying "Hello" as I pass (and had it done to me 10x more often)

It's just a hill. Get over it.
  • Got a wasp down my jersey yesterday much to the amusement of traffic (it would happen near lights). It stung me twice before I jumped off the bike, undid my back pack and shook it out. I got a cheer from a passing car when I stamped on the evil little messenger of Satan.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Ref No. 6

Not been stung by a bee or wasp thankfully, but been riding along and had a mahoosive spider run across my face. Must have been hiding in my helmet when I left it in the cellar. I aint scared of spiders but that one incident really made me act like a big girl. Glad I wasnt n traffic at the time.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I aint pulled a bird in my full cycling kit doing a trackstand at the lights....yet.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • I haven't managed to blow my nose, while cycling, without getting snot over one of the following
    a) my gloves
    b) my shorts
    c) my face

Apologies if your eating
  • I haven't managed to rein myself in so that I don't treat every commute like a time trial (damn you strava). Makes the 30 miles a day almost impossible for my fat sorry ass to do 5 days a week.
    Every morning I set out with the intention to take it easy. Can count on one hand in 200+ commutes I've taken it easy!