Bike Locks Home and Away

tobamory
tobamory Posts: 101
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Guys whats the best bike lock, 2 fold question really, I need 2.... 1 massive one for home that nothing can cut through, and 1 potable that will maybe tie up 2 bikes

Anybody recommend any makes models for the above

Appreciate they can nick the wheels saddle etc,

Thanks

Comments

• I'd go with Kryptonite. Ground anchor and a chain for the garage. How far you go down the food chain for the weight/portability thing is an endless question.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Yeah i wonder what the locks are like you can wear as a belt.

I have a specialized one at the moment that rolls up behind the seat but its a real arse to roll :)
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    in order to make your bike secure at home you'd need to sleep with it. you can get a ground anchor with a 16mm hardened chain and lock which would set you back £150-160 depending on length of chain. I personally wouldn't leave my bike locked up anywhere outside for any length of time. I take it into my office at uni
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Your buike plus lock needs to weigh about 25Kg, the lighter (better) your buike the heavier the lock needs to be, simple answer is never let it out of your site. At home it may be cheaper to secure the buiding it's in rather than pay for the extra lock depending where you store it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • thanks , yeah i barely leave it outside to be honest and its mainly for when i either nip in the ship for a can of pop, or leave it in the locked garage
  • I have an onguard brute d lock which the shackle is
    16mm thick & a real heavy motorbike chain,check out almax bike chains on YouTube 2c how easy some locks are cut & also checkout pragmasis,personally my bike gets left in my house
  • Almax and Pragmasis.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    I have an onguard brute d lock which the shackle is
    16mm thick & a real heavy motorbike chain,check out almax bike chains on YouTube 2c how easy some locks are cut & also checkout pragmasis,personally my bike gets left in my house

notice how none of the 16 and 18 mm locks/chains are not attacked with that huge F-off bolt cutter. you'd certainly not be able to use one that size in my garage or in the street where is it busy
  • The guy on the almax video on youtube says anything 16mm+ is to big for any bolt croppers to get hold of,nothing can stop a portable disc cutter tho
  • True, but they make enough noise to wake the dead, never mind the street.