Advice with Power meter choice.

2»

Comments

• neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Well, I finally decided to go powertap again. Ordered it and it came pretty quick although I was away at the time.
    It doesn't work, the calibration is out and it's reading very low.
    I contacted cyclepowermeters and they said the calibration is fine (it should read 512, it's reading 499 or 500. Cycleops say +/- 5 is out of tolerance. Cyclepowermeters say 12 is fine!!) and to update the firmware. After an hour and a half of faff after a bloody long, hard shift I got the firmware updated. It's still out. I'm at the moment rather pi55ed off.
    Mine's always calibrated between about 497 and 502. No reason to believe it's reading wrong (power readings make sense, e.g. average power is what it should be on long climbs given my times), although I'll find out in the spring when I can compare it with my other one, which calibrates higher and is awaiting a spoke delivery before being built into a wheel.

When you say it's reading very low, how are you judging that?
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Compared to previous powertap(s) and srm. At what is usually about 300w it's reading about 230 and is exponentially out at higher wattages.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Yes, well, that sounds bad.. return for replacement?

Pretty sure though that the low calibration number doesn't necessarily mean that the meter is reading very low. Otherwise I'll give up the day job and join Sky.. ;-)

Worrying however that you wouldn't have known it was reading low if it hadn't been reading very low.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yeah, I will speak to them again tomorrow.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach