DIY TT?

rodgers73
rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
edited September 2013 in Amateur race
I've been riding for 3 years now and while I'm not particularly competitive as a rider I do like the idea of a TT as I also run 10k races and like to beat my PB whenever I can.

Looking at the websites for the local clubs it looks like I've picked exactly the wrong time of year to want to give a TT a go as it seems they've now stopped running them by now.

So, can I make my own up? I'm guessing I need a reasonably accurate measurement of the distance - they're, 10, 25 and 50 miles long right? - and some way of marking the start and finish (or at least remembering where these are). Plus a timing device (Garmin?).

Do TTs usually follow a fairly flat course? I'm guessing they would so as to make comparisons between riders nationally possible? There are plenty of dual carriageways near me that I could link up into a reasonably flattish circuit of about 4 or 5 miles and just do that repeatedly to suit the distance I was wanting to run.

Am I way off here??

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Would be easier to find out your local TT courses and time yourself around one of those wouldn't it?
  • rodgers73
    I'm not sure they're shown on the club websites. Also, if I can mark out a course near my house I can get one in before work.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    rodgers73 wrote:
    I'm not sure they're shown on the club websites. Also, if I can mark out a course near my house I can get one in before work.

Most of them will be on the CTT website. Alternatively, just ride five miles out one way, and then return.
  • rodgers73
    Imposter wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Most of them will be on the CTT website. Alternatively, just ride five miles out one way, and then return.

Should I try and do a flattish(ish) route?
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    edited September 2013
    There's a list of O district courses here, haven't been updated with maps for most of them yet, but if you google the course code there will often be a map on bikely or similar...

http://www.cyclingtimetrials.org.uk/Def ... 8__gvfl0=8

Course profiles can be flat or lumpy, obviously the flatter it is there faster it's likely to be but if you do the same courses regularly you'll be trying to beat your previous times on the same course so it's not that important...

EDIT: forgot to include the link...
  • buckles
    buckles Posts: 694
    TTs follow whatever route is available, flat or not. Our local one is pretty hilly. It doesn't matter what route you choose, just chose a route and stick to it
    25% off your first MyProtein order: sign up via https://www.myprotein.com/referrals.lis ... EE-R29Y&li or use my referral code LEE-R29Y
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    rodgers73 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    rodgers73 wrote:

Should I try and do a flattish(ish) route?

Do whatever route you like. Would suggest you avoid DCs though.
  • rodgers73
    OK, all good advice - I'll get plotting then.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Here you go, the Hatfield Woodhouse course used by Donny Wheelers

http://www.doncasterwheelers.info/Eveni ... etails.htm
  • rodgers73
    Cheers - shame its on the other side of Doncaster from me!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    If the CC publish the course number you'll often find it on Strava too ... So easiest way I would think would be to memorise the course (normally simple aren't they?) ride out to the start. Press start on the GPS and off you go. Don't worry too much about when you get to the finish as Strava will show you your time for the segment ... give or take ...
  • rodgers73 wrote:
    Cheers - shame its on the other side of Doncaster from me!
    Well, you could warm up riding to it
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • I'm trying to do something similar and also run footraces so I'd be interested to hear how you get on and how your TT compares with your 10k running times?

I'm not that well placed for flat TT courses as I live in north Glasgow and it seems all the flat TTs start out in the countryside south of the city, a good ride away in itself. My 'local' Tour of the Campsies TT incorporates a hill climb competition en route :-)