heavy duty commuting bike

keyrulzman
keyrulzman Posts: 11
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
Hi, I'm new to the forum - be gentle :)

My workplace started to offer ride2work vouchers, and I'd need some advice. I would like to buy a hybrid bike, ideally something with panniers, saddlebags, proper lights - under £500, it still has to be paid from my salary and times are tight.
The scheme only offers Halfords and Evans vouchers though - I have a Halfords in town, Evans is a bit further, but both are OK.
I read bad things about the quality of Halfords builds, is that a hit and miss thing or consistently bad? I bought some stuff in Halfords but nothing really expensive and nothing built by them, so I have no first-hand experience.

Here's the catch - and the reason for my title. I'm fat, and I need a bike that won't break. I don't want some lightweight alloy frame to break or twist if I go across a bump or the kerb. We're talking 140+ kg here. On my previous used £40 MTB, I had one of the pedals broken, maybe not from my weight, but who knows. (Obviously, I hope that would reduce with my daily commuting, but for now, that's the fact.)

I did some commuting on my £40 second-hand mountain bike, so I know I can do my distance everyday. I also know that any kind of hybrid bike will be infinitely better than my current MTB. So I can do with a heavier bike if it's sturdy enough. I do plan to visit both shops in the coming week and ask in person, but I would like to have some non-partisan advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• With my thoughts, bear in mind I'm just someone starting out myself.

I think you might be best looking at a tourer. They are designed for lugging weight around. This would also have the panniers, lights etc covered. The downside of these types of bikes is they aren't usually designed for speed, but being 120kg myself, the way I see it is I stand to lose more weight losing it myself than buying a 10kg bike instead of a 18kg bike.

Just for reference of some figures I am aware of... Cannondale list the maximum rider weight of nearly all their bikes as 136kg, with the exception of road bikes (125kg) and of course tandems. I think you would probably be fine on an aluminium hybrid, so long as you're not mounting kerbs, doing bunny hops, etc.
  • Barteos
    Barteos Posts: 657
    Your best bet would be a rigid mountain bike like Carrera Subway http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534 or a rigid 29er upgraded with decent with high volume +2.00" smooth tyres like Big Apple, Kojak, Marathon family...

A typical 700C hybrid is a brilliant marketers' invention but for what you're going to use it and at your weight it's going to be neither faster, durable or more comfortable.
  • Another thought that just came to mind that might need some consideration is brakes. With the rather extensive hills near where I live, the standard mechanical disc brakes that came with my bike were very poor (Tektro Novelo). Pootle around for a test ride and they're fine, go down a long hill and they faded (still worked but not a nice feeling having to pull harder as you're building up speed down hill - this was even with an on-off technique to let them cool). They then warped and squealed like nothing until they had cooled a bit. I think part of this could have been my 120kg in conjunction with the hill. I upgraded to Shimano hydraulic XT brakes with ice tech rotors, and they're perfect by comparison.

The Carrera Subway looks a bit under specced for the price. I suspect Halfords are just fulfilling their legal obligation by selling it at full price the required number of days, before they have a big sale and claim it is x% off.
  • Barteos
    anewman wrote:
    Another thought that just came to mind that might need some consideration is brakes. With the rather extensive hills near where I live, the standard mechanical disc brakes that came with my bike were very poor (Tektro Novelo). Pootle around for a test ride and they're fine, go down a long hill and they faded (still worked but not a nice feeling having to pull harder as you're building up speed down hill - this was even with an on-off technique to let them cool). They then warped and squealed like nothing until they had cooled a bit. I think part of this could have been my 120kg in conjunction with the hill. I upgraded to Shimano hydraulic XT brakes with ice tech rotors, and they're perfect by comparison.

The Carrera Subway looks a bit under specced for the price. I suspect Halfords are just fulfilling their legal obligation by selling it at full price the required number of days, before they have a big sale and claim it is x% off.

Good point about brakes. Discs are the way to go, for sure.
    If you weren't limited to Halfords and Evans... Ridgeback Storm would be probably the best bike that you could find for the money.

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=cr&ei= ... m&tbm=shop

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... m-11-45601
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    keyrulzman wrote:

My workplace started to offer ride2work vouchers, and I'd need some advice. I would like to buy a hybrid bike, ideally something with panniers, saddlebags, proper lights - under £500, it still has to be paid from my salary and times are tight.
    The scheme only offers Halfords and Evans vouchers though - I have a Halfords in town, Evans is a bit further, but both are OK.
    I read bad things about the quality of Halfords builds, is that a hit and miss thing or consistently bad? I bought some stuff in Halfords but nothing really expensive and nothing built by them, so I have no first-hand experience.

Here's the catch - and the reason for my title. I'm fat, and I need a bike that won't break. I don't want some lightweight alloy frame to break or twist if I go across a bump or the kerb. We're talking 140+ kg here. On my previous used £40 MTB, I had one of the pedals broken, maybe not from my weight, but who knows. (Obviously, I hope that would reduce with my daily commuting, but for now, that's the fact.)

I did some commuting on my £40 second-hand mountain bike, so I know I can do my distance everyday. I also know that any kind of hybrid bike will be infinitely better than my current MTB. So I can do with a heavier bike if it's sturdy enough. I do plan to visit both shops in the coming week and ask in person, but I would like to have some non-partisan advice.

Thanks.

F**k me that's fat! That's over twice my body weight, me carrying another me of lard. Blimey :shock: .

Lay off the pies, crisps and cakes.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • dilemna wrote:
    F**k me that's fat! That's over twice my body weight, me carrying another me of lard. Blimey :shock: .
    Yah, thanks for the constructive reply.
    Asshole.
  • anewman wrote:
    [...] I think you would probably be fine on an aluminium hybrid, so long as you're not mounting kerbs, doing bunny hops, etc.

Thanks.
    As I wrote I'm not looking for some 5 kg carbon-wonder. Also not planning bunny hops, but even if I don't mount the kerb, I may have to go through a pothole or manhole cover occasionally, and I don't want to damage the bike then.
  • dilemna
    keyrulzman wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Yah, thanks for the constructive reply.
    Asshole.

Your 2nd post and you are already making yourself very welcome. Ha! :lol:
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
  • Barteos wrote:
    [..]
    A typical 700C hybrid is a brilliant marketers' invention but for what you're going to use it and at your weight it's going to be neither faster, durable or more comfortable.

I'm not too familiar with different wheel sizes and tyres - what's wrong with the 700C size?

Also, what do you think of this one? Within my price range (I can afford a new lock and lights and whatnot), has disc brakes, etc.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_927631_langId_-1_categoryId_165534
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Personally I'd be looking at the Voodoo Marasaas linked to, larger wheels, MTB build so fairly rugged, hydraulic disc brakes with plenty of power as well, can add panniers/rack/guards without issue.

700c are road bike wheel, the MTB equivalent is 29" and they are the exact same diameter but MTB wheels tend to be tougher. Otherwise the other main wheel size is 26" which is for MTB's or MTB based hybrids, theer are other odd sizes but not at your price point.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    dilemna wrote:
    keyrulzman wrote:

Thanks.

Is there any need for such an offensive remark apart to show everyone on the forum what a kn*b you are?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I can't add anything about advice for the bike ... but it sounds like a 29er or hardtail MTB would suit you best for now. Some slicks on that and it'll be fine for on the road.

but its nice to read about someone actually doing something about changing their weight & life rather than just moaning about it.

Excellent - now just hope you manage to achieve your goals!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Midrange bike frames are plenty strong enough for you, even in aluminium. It is the wheels that are the weak point.
    Hybrid bikes mostly use 700c wheels and these can be strong enough BUT that really depends on the quality of the wheel builder. 29" is exactly the same wheel rebranded to be sexy.
    Some urban bikes use 26" MTB wheels which are a little smaller. For the same spoke count, the are a little stronger but either way, the deciding factor is the build quality. You need the max number of spokes which is generally 36. DONT go for anything less.
    Fat, slick tyres are good these days, they can absorb road bumps and reduce stress on the wheels and bikes.
    Suspension is pretty poor at the low end and you may over-stress forks.
    Disc brakes are excellent. Midrange mechanical models from Avid or Shimano are effective and durable.

You need a bike with a full set of threaded eyelets for rack and mudguards (some 29" MTBs lack these)
    Halfords do some decent bikes but are let down by variable service, and you will need good service to check and tune the wheels.
    I would have a look at Evans for a decent bike but their website has gone AWOL.
    The solution may be a bike with a different set of wheels.
    You also need to budget for lights, lock, helmet, mudguards, luggage rack and bags, puncture kit and spares maybe waterproofs and gloves. Many bikes built to a budget skimp on important stuff like kevlar-protected tyres. £500 is a tight budget but consider the cost of alternatives. How much will it cost you to travel to work for the next 5 years by other means + the cost of any fitness activities you need to do. £2/week is a trivial amount to spend on transportation.
  • MichaelW wrote:
    [...]

Thanks, I'll look out for the spokes and the wheel quality.
    Can the wheel simply changed/replaced as long as it fits between the forks, even with the disc breaks?
    I definitely don't need suspension, I ride mostly on tarmac or concrete, bridleways now and then.
    I know that the normal MTB tyres have way too much grip for road use, but I'm vary of the pencil thin road tyres. Is a wide but slick tyre more durable?

I already have the essentials: helmet, gloves, puncture kit, pump, multitool, hi-vis jacket; I'd like to upgrade my cheap lock and lights though. I don't need the full lycra suit :)
  • Barteos
    keyrulzman wrote:
    Barteos wrote:
    [..]

I'm not too familiar with different wheel sizes and tyres - what's wrong with the 700C size?

Also, what do you think of this one? Within my price range (I can afford a new lock and lights and whatnot), has disc brakes, etc.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_927631_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

Not much wrong with 700C per se, it's just most of typical hybrid bikes have limited tyre clearance to 35-38mm (width).
    Wider 26" tyre will offer more volume for comfort and wheel protection without compromising speed and the outer diameter will be not much smaller than 700C.
    Another option would be a rigid 29er - effectively a 700C/29" hybrid on steroids 8)
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Slowbike wrote:
    I can't add anything about advice for the bike ... but it sounds like a 29er or hardtail MTB would suit you best for now. Some slicks on that and it'll be fine for on the road.

but its nice to read about someone actually doing something about changing their weight & life rather than just moaning about it.

I'd like to echo this remark - MichaelW's post has good info. I'd also like to echo Spen666's view of dilemna - unfortunately on a free forum, there are plenty of unhelpful morons.
  • dilemna
    edited September 2013
    spen666 wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    keyrulzman wrote:

Thanks.

Is there any need for such an offensive remark apart to show everyone on the forum what a kn*b you are?

You calling me a knob is like the kettle calling the pot black ....... :lol: .

Fact : Weight 140+kg as given by the OP is morbidly obese. There is no other way of getting this size except by eating a lot of pies and such similar and doing zero exercise, fact.

For bikes I would suggest a Kona Ute. Very strong and disc braked.

http://konaworld.com/bike.cfm?content=ute

What would be your suggestion for the OP Spen666?
  • dilemna
    DrLex wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:

I'd like to echo this remark - MichaelW's post has good info. I'd also like to echo Spen666's view of dilemna - unfortunately on a free forum, there are plenty of unhelpful morons.

So I'm a moron just because I read what the OP wrote and express shock!!! Talk about ignoring the elephant in the room! I suspect the OP has encountered many well meaning 'helpful' people in his pursuing his diet who have in reality been morons for allowing him to reach the weight and size he has. For the rest see my response to Spen above which is also applicable to you.
  • slowbike
    dilemna wrote:
    Fact : Weight 140+kg as given by the OP is morbidly obese. There is no other way of getting this size except by eating a lot of pies and such similar and doing zero exercise, fact.
    Fact: dilemna knows jack shite about medical conditions, fact.

The FACT that I put FACT after the end of my sentence in FACT makes no FACTual difference in that it is an opinion and NOT FACT.
    But if you want to look like a tosspott then carry on putting FACT at the end of your OPINION!

try looking up metabolism or metabolic rate if you want to understand a little more about burning calories ....
  • spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    @ Dilemna

~Manners maketh the man

Politeness costs nothing

You would get far more respect if you actually had the decency to apologise to the OP for your grossly offensive and totally unnecessary offensive comments
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • Slowbike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    People, please leave this. I stated that I'm fat, that's what I started the topic with. I asked a bike-related question, I'd like to stick to that. I put the guy on ignore, you can do the same, if you want.
  • dilemna
    edited September 2013
    Slowbike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

The FACT that I put FACT after the end of my sentence in FACT makes no FACTual difference in that it is an opinion and NOT FACT.
    But if you want to look like a tosspott then carry on putting FACT at the end of your OPINION!

try looking up metabolism or metabolic rate if you want to understand a little more about burning calories ....

Calm down, you'll give yourself a coronary.

By his own admission the OP has stated he weighs 140+kg. Ok he might be less but unlikely if he has indicated 140+kg so there is some uncertainty to this figure so it might be speculation on his part but enough to conclude that he is morbidly obese for which he clearly is. This is ok don't you think? You don't get to be this weight by eating salads and fruit and exercising regularly. It simply doesn't happen. Slow metabolism is a euphemism for being lazy. Now there might be underlying causes for the OPs sloth but he hasn't given any indication. He might well find that he is diabetic as he begins to do exercise more frequently. Before riding his bike I would suggest he visits his doctor to make sure he is physically fit ie he has no medical condition that would preclude moderate exercise. Sensible I feel given he is so heavy and without doubt so unfit.

His problem isn't metabolism, the problem is just eating too much of the wrong stuff too frequently and doing little or no exercise, FACT, which the OP is trying to change.

Fact: your opinion is just opinion as you have not based it upon any facts.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    edited September 2013
    keyrulzman wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:
    [...]
    Can the wheel simply changed/replaced as long as it fits between the forks, even with the disc breaks?
    Is a wide but slick tyre more durable?

There are 2 standards for rear axle width, road racing 130mm and MTB/hybrid/29er/touring 135mm.
    Bikes of interest will all use the 135mm std and will use MTB hubs, whether the rims are 26" or 700c.

Front axle width are all the same for midrange and utility bikes. Only high-end extreme MTBs use fancy modern standards.
    When it comes to hubs, Shimano are still probably the toughest and most reliable in the midrange market. Even low-end Shimano tend to be trouble free.
    Disc brakes standards between wheel and brake are generally not a problem. You need a rotor of correct diameter for the disc brake caliper position. Again utility disc brakes are all similar sizes, unlike extreme MTB or newer road discs.
    Rotor fittings to the hub are 6 bolt or Shimano Centrelock spline. This makes no difference to the brake mechanism, only the rotor-wheel interface. Both work fine.

The disc brake caliper may be mounted on either the seatstay or the chainstay. Seatstay normal for MTBs but this position interferes with luggage rack and mudguard eyelets so utility bikes sometimes use a chainstay mount.

Modern wide slick "ballon" style tyres such as Schwalbe Big Apple are built using efficient racing tyre technology so are miles better than old fashioned ballon tyres. They are tough and durable. I have over 5 years of riding on my BAs.
    You need sufficient clearance at the frame for fat tyres.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    keyrulzman wrote:
    [...] I put the guy on ignore, you can do the same, if you want.
    I did, and have saved time in not reading his pish. Let us know how (& what) you get on!
  • slowbike
    dilemna wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

By his own admission the OP has stated he weighs 140+kg. Ok he might less but unlikely if he has indicated 140+kg so there is some uncertainty to this figure so it might be speculation on his part but enough to conclude that he is morbidly obese for which he clearly is. This is ok don't you think? You don't get to be this weight by eating salads and fruit and exercising regularly. It simply doesn't happen. Slow metabolism is a euphemism for being lazy. Now there might be underlying causes for the OPs sloth but he hasn't given any indication. He might well find that he is diabetic as he begins to do exercise more frequently. Before riding his bike I would suggest he visits his doctor to make sure he is physically fit ie he has no medical condition that would preclude moderate exercise. Sensible I feel given he is so heavy and without doubt so unfit.

His problem isn't metabolism, the problem is just eating too much of the wrong stuff too frequently and doing little or no exercise, FACT, which the OP is trying to change.

It's easy enough to copy/paste your FACT ...

You obviously don't understand about metabolism and how it works or doesn't ... and the effect it can have.

But the OP has asked for it to be dropped - he knows he's overweight and seems to be doing something about it. What he doesn't need is some jerkoff saying to lay off the pies ... if that was the issue he's probably worked that out for himself!
  • dilemna
    spen666 wrote:
    @ Dilemna

~Manners maketh the man

Politeness costs nothing

You would get far more respect if you actually had the decency to apologise to the OP for your grossly offensive and totally unnecessary offensive comments

:lol:

Spen the next thread you are rude, blunt, obtuse, insensitive or flippant on can I quote this? In fact, in fact, can I use it on my avatar?

Spen666 says "Politeness costs nothing"
  • dilemna
    Slowbike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:

By his own admission the OP has stated he weighs 140+kg. Ok he might less but unlikely if he has indicated 140+kg so there is some uncertainty to this figure so it might be speculation on his part but enough to conclude that he is morbidly obese for which he clearly is. This is ok don't you think? You don't get to be this weight by eating salads and fruit and exercising regularly. It simply doesn't happen. Slow metabolism is a euphemism for being lazy. Now there might be underlying causes for the OPs sloth but he hasn't given any indication. He might well find that he is diabetic as he begins to do exercise more frequently. Before riding his bike I would suggest he visits his doctor to make sure he is physically fit ie he has no medical condition that would preclude moderate exercise. Sensible I feel given he is so heavy and without doubt so unfit.

It's easy enough to copy/paste your FACT ...

Indeed it is ....... from the OP's first post.

You obviously don't understand about metabolism and how it works or doesn't ... and the effect it can have.

But the OP has asked for it to be dropped - he knows he's overweight and seems to be doing something about it. What he doesn't need is some jerkoff saying to lay off the pies ... if that was the issue he's probably worked that out for himself!

You are clearly an expert I bow to your superior knowledge :lol: I understand nothing and yet I am 68kg fit and healthy, 5'9' and capable of feeding myself properly. You know I am right as you started using derogatory language toward me. Ker ... ching!
  • slowbike
    dilemna wrote:

You are clearly an expert I bow to your superior knowledge :lol: I understand nothing and yet I am 68kg fit and healthy, 5'9' and capable of feeding myself properly. You know I am right as you started using derogatory language toward me. Ker ... ching!
    Indeed I am ...

Are you fit? Weight isn't the only indication. I somehow doubt you're capable of feeding yourself properly as sh1t keeps coming out of your mouth ...

Derogatory language - yup - but I was taught to call a spade a spade ...
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Back to the topic please. Keyrulzman does not deserve to be treat this way, and actions have been taken about certain comments.

keyrulzman, apologies for the inexcusable comments levelled at you, wish I'd have seen it earlier.
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    edited September 2013
    keyrulzman wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    dilemna wrote:
    People, please leave this. I stated that I'm fat, that's what I started the topic with. I asked a bike-related question, I'd like to stick to that. I put the guy on ignore, you can do the same, if you want.

Nice one. I'll do my best to ignore the squabbling.
    keyrulzman wrote:
    Is a wide but slick tyre more durable?

The wheel can be changed/replaced easily enough, if the hub width is compatible as per MichaelW's post.

I'd definitely recommend fairly high spoke count (strong) wheel with discs (if you've got big hills nearby discs are simply better for continual braking). I'd say you're definitely on the right track with that Voodoo -- it looks a good price. The only minus for me is that 700c disc-compatible wheels are still slightly harder to find that 26" disc wheels, but that's just because MTBs have had discs for ages, and we're still waiting for the "road bike" world to catch up!

I wouldn't be too stressed about the weight specifications either... these bikes have to be made to withstand shock loading (jumps etc); they're going to be fine holding a fairly static weight of the rider just pedalling along! There's an old adage of an inch of weld being able to hold an Imperial ton, and realistically, metal is really strong!

Edit: A slick tyre will last longer than a knobbly tyre by quite a margin. I doubt a wide vs. a narrow tyre makes much difference in terms of durability. Most people choose tyre widths based on the width of their wheel rim, and how fast vs. comfortable they like things.

See this guy's blog if you're worried about the strength of the bike.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.