Spare wheels recommends and advice

Dudders29
Dudders29 Posts: 171
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I'm a newbie and now loving being out on the bike. Trouble is I'm on a specific training plan and due to a combination of shit weather and tight time I'm having to use a turbo. Am getting used to it but I'm using the same wheels and tyres the bike came with. I'm thinking of getting a spare set of wheels but know feck all about wheels. I know I can't afford anything above £150 and realise I ain't gonna get anything super at that price. Am I best going second hand and getting more for my money or buying new ? What make model should I be looking at.
I've got Fulcrum 7's on at mo.

Cheers

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited September 2013
    If you are happy with the Fulcrums just get a cheap back wheel for the turbo no need to change the front one, don't forget you will need to get a cassette as well whichever route you take.
  • You aren't going to get something for significantly better for that money if that's what you're thinking. If you can't be arsed with swapping tyres then get a crappy rear wheel and a cheap cassette and use that for the turbo. Anything will do - if you're in a club you'll probably find someone has something suitable lying in their shed.

EDIT: Beaten to it.
  • Having spoken to my mate, I think rather than get a spare wheel I need to get some decent winter gear, man up, and get out in the rain !
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Dudders29 wrote:
    Having spoken to my mate, I think rather than get a spare wheel I need to get some decent winter gear, man up, and get out in the rain !
    i agree but what about the snow and ice that could see you off the bike for long periods, I have found the turbo invaluable at these times. :)
  • diamonddog wrote:
    Dudders29 wrote:
    Having spoken to my mate, I think rather than get a spare wheel I need to get some decent winter gear, man up, and get out in the rain !
    i agree but what about the snow and ice that could see you off the bike for long periods, I have found the turbo invaluable at these times. :)

Yep, agree with that. Turbo from now on will only be used when its dangerous outside .
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    We won't get snow for a while. May not get it at all; OK so the last few years have been crap, but in reality it's not that frequent (depending on whereabouts you live, of course).

You can always get spiked tyres and get a training ride in, of course...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}