Spoke choice for carbon wheels

Dick Scruttock
Dick Scruttock Posts: 2,533
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
What spokes would people go for on a Enve AM carbon wheel build? I weigh 185lbs ready to ride and they will be used mostly for trail and AM riding.

I have seen in America Enve offer the complete wheel builds with CX-ray spokes and I assume these are a good choice but what would others go for?

Comments

• What hubs are you using?
    My local shop has a set of Enve rims on Chris King hubs with CX Ray spokes, if I had a spare £2400 I would love to buy them.
  • DT240s oversized front and a 142x12 rear.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    DT swiss DB 2.0/1.8/2.0 would be my suggestion, you could go for the 1.7's if you 'ride light' (me I just smash gracelessly through stuff!). njee20 is the best man for this Q though!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    I'd I DT Swiss supercomp. Used them for 2 years on the HD and had zero issues, light, easy to work with and relatively cheap, seem to make a pretty stiff wheel too. Afaik they're only 20g per wheel heavier than revolutions, stiffer, stronger and half the price.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Don't worry, I'm here ;-)

Personally wouldn't bother with CX-Rays (again), they're the same weight as Revolutions, but far more expensive. They have a higher fatigue strength, but all that seemed to mean for me was that the nipples broke instead. I guess if you're considering Enve rims money's not an issue, and I'd not not buy wheels because they used CX-Rays or Aerolites, but personally I'd have Competitions or Revolutions. The former will be stiffer than CX-Rays/Revs (again, possibly a moot point on an Enve rim), whilst the latter will be just as light/stiff for less money.