Do you go commando?

Rad2474
Rad2474 Posts: 162
edited September 2013 in MTB general
As my rides are getting longer i thought i'd buy some padded undershorts. I found that with them my shorts on the padded shorts and my underpants it was getting a bit warm and rubbing down there especially with my underware riding up and rubbing away in certain areas. ( i'm not going into detail you know where i mean). Was thinking maybe just the padded undershorts on with my outer shorts next time.Any advice on this?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Yes you are ment to go commando with padded shorts.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Theres nothing like an unfurnished basement.
  • WindyG
    WindyG Posts: 1,099
    Yep always commando otherwise like you have found pants will rub, more so with bib shorts.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    No point having slick liners/cycling shorts under your baggies and then clogging it with underpants, like wearing a sock inside a condom!

I guess you could get away with stripper style thongs if you really must, but there are even bigger issues there!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    Padded shorts are meant to prevent chafing etc - by wearing underwear as well, you're just defeating the point of them
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • I bought a couple of pairs of riding shorts a few years ago and never used the liners (I just wore my boxers).

I decided to try them with the liners last year and cant beleive how more comfortable they feel.

I always shower first though!

Cheers

Carl
  • anything over 30 miles I'll wear padded lyrca (with trial shorts over the top for modesty!) Never wear underpants with the padded shorts - it'd be chafe city.
    1999 Scott Vail - Work commute
    2015 Giant Anthem 27.5 SX - Weekend riding

East Hants MTB on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/288056017965343/
  • Rad2474
    Rad2474 Posts: 162
    Thanks all,commando it is then.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    Tried commando, but didn't find it comfy in the slightest! I just wear tighter boxers under lycra .... not that I wear lycra of course!!
  • I used to know a bloke who did a lot of riding in Austria before moving to California and he swore by going commando
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Greer_ wrote:
    .... not that I wear lycra of course!!
    Methinks the man doth protest to much, you've already admitted to your fetish.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Greer_
    Greer_ Posts: 1,716
    To be fair, i actually bought my first pair of baggies the other day! Was meant to be going to kirroughtree today, but none of us fancied the look of the weather forecast!
  • lbalony
    lbalony Posts: 301
    Boxer shorts, padded liners & baggys! Lol!!!! Did you ised to wear your school uniform under you P.E. kit?

Hot and defeating the whole point of the liner! Why dont you get an extra large sanitry pad and wear it in your boxers if you want to wear boxers. Order some mail order from usa, i saw one in a portaloo at a festival once over there. Was the size of a Boeing 747!
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Rad2474 wrote:
    Thanks all,commando it is then.

Is it commando though?

Is it that the undershorts are replacing and acting as your boxers/Y-Fronts/Thong/bloomers.