Changing Gear Cassette - Compatibility Question

Stu 27
Stu 27 Posts: 3
edited September 2013 in The workshop
Hi, My wife has a rather old 12-speed Raleigh Pioneer city bike for pottering round on. The gear cassette is a 14-28T, which is a threaded fit on the hub. She'd like a lower gear for going up hills. I've seen a Shimano MF-TZ30 cassette which is 14-34T and "can be easily installed onto a compatible screw-on type hub". Is this likely to be compatible with the hub I've currently got, or are there different thread sizes out there?

Also, is there a 14-34T or similar cassette with equally spaced gears, rather than closely-spaced plus the super low gear?

Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    It is probably OK. Getting the old freewheel off is likely to be a challenge, though...
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    You'll only get a larger 1st gear by using a mega range as otherwise all the shifts become horrid and clunky and not just that one!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The rear mech may not stretch to 34 either, some older or cheaper ones don't.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    DesWeller wrote:
    It is probably OK. Getting the old freewheel off is likely to be a challenge, though...

Liberal application of WD40 over a week or so. Clamp freewheel tool in vice (attached to wheel by QR or nut if you can) and then grip tyre and turn is your best bet. I speak from experience of same issue.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • Thanks for the help guys. The old cassette came off without too much resistance, and the new one fits fine, plus a new chain as well. The rear mech works OK, but I'm going to fit a new one anyway as it's rather old and tired.

Thanks all.