Towing a motorbike

dmclite-3.0
dmclite-3.0 Posts: 845
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
Hi, does anyone know if you can legally tow a motorbike which has the back wheel on the road but the front wheel in a cradle that attachs to your tow bar on the back of the car ? A friend of mine has seen a motorbike front wheel hitch that attachs to the towbar of your car but doesnt know if it would be UK road legal as the bike id out of MOT. I know you can tow an unbraked trailer up to 750kg with a car but cannot find any more info, anyone any idea ?
I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast, but I'm intercontinental when I eat French toast...

Comments

• team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Hi, does anyone know

It's the internet, we don't care about knowing about wot we speak :D

but...If a wheel of any motorised vehicle is on the road then it must have MOT and tax etc.

Bit outside the question but if the back wheel is turning then the gearbox is turning and on a bike the oil is only supplied when the engine is running, unless you have taken the chain off.
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,089
    Hi, does anyone know if you can legally tow a motorbike which has the back wheel on the road but the front wheel in a cradle that attachs to your tow bar on the back of the car ? A friend of mine has seen a motorbike front wheel hitch that attachs to the towbar of your car but doesnt know if it would be UK road legal as the bike id out of MOT. I know you can tow an unbraked trailer up to 750kg with a car but cannot find any more info, anyone any idea ?

If you drag the thing with a rope on its side, then no wheels are in contact with the ground. Simples.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    This is cycling forum.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    t4tomo wrote:
    This is cycling forum.

Correct, what's your point? :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    arran77 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    This is cycling forum.

OP might be better off asking on a Motorbike forum.

What's your point :?
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    t4tomo wrote:
    arran77 wrote:
    t4tomo wrote:
    This is cycling forum.

OP might be better off asking on a Motorbike forum.

What's your point :?
    I thought the thread was someone riding so fast a motorbike was slipstreaming them.
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    team47b wrote:
    Hi, does anyone know

It's the internet, we don't care about knowing about wot we speak :D

but...If a wheel of any motorised vehicle is on the road then it must have MOT and tax etc.

Bit outside the question but if the back wheel is turning then the gearbox is turning and on a bike the oil is only supplied when the engine is running, unless you have taken the chain off.

IIRC, it doesn't need an MOT if your MOT has run out and you're driving/riding to a pre-booked MOT.
  • t4tomo wrote:
    This is cycling forum.
    If you look on the tax disc of a motorbike you will find that it is classified as a bicycle.
    And this is Cake Stop which is aimed at general conversation.

Can we fix it?
    Yes we can!
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Probably more relevant than either the godfather or michael le vell...
    Sorry don't know the answer
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    team47b wrote:

It does rather depend on the bike, tbh. If it's a wet sump, it should be ok, although there may be an issue if the bike is tilted (as it would be on a trailer hook), for long periods.