Cycling in Ireland

skyblueamateur
skyblueamateur Posts: 1,498
edited September 2013 in Tour & expedition
Where's best to head?

I've family in Mayo but obviously is a good drive over to the west.

Anyone recommend anywhere on the east coast?

Comments

• kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Unfortunately I have on been out in Kerry between Tralee and Dingle. Very nice riding by the coast and if you are keen up the mountain roads. The roads can be quite rough / narrow in places and have very poor visibility so you have to stay alert. That as well as getting rained on continually :)

I just used a mountain bike as it was smoother going.
  • kwi
    kwi Posts: 181
    The Causeway Coast is popular, runs from Belfast to Derry, some nice scenic flat days and the fantastic Torr Head to give your legs and gears a workout. IIRC Sustrans have maps available.
  • flester
    flester Posts: 464
    North from Dublin, theres Newgrange/Boyne valley area. South from Dublin, lots of potential, one suggestion is Glendalough via the Military Road and Sally Gap is a good way to start. Much of Wicklow is scenic and hilly. I'm not up to date on what roads are cycle-friendly leaving Dublin though, its years since I cycled there. MAPMYRUN/MAPMYRIDE should help too.

'I do not believe in the three-speed gear at all', the sergeant was saying. 'It is a newfangled instrument, it crucificies the legs, the half of the accidents are due to it.' (From 'The Third Policeman')
  • You can get a train from Dublin over to the west coast. My wife and I caught one the other way with two bikes (from Castlebar). It takes almost 3 hours, which isn't too bad. That west side of the island is very scenic and there are some quiet roads in Mayo.

Are you on a road bike or a tourer?
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom