Velocity Street Racing Tyne Tunnel

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
Well that was a pretty awesome race at the Tyne Tunnel with Velocity Street Racing we drafted an Aston Martin into the tunnel and back up the other side, regrouped headed back down the tunnel, jostling for position. Then as the pace built the Aston pulled away, the engine noise was the klaxon for the rolling start of the sprint.

I'd gotten toward the front of the pack an maintained a decent pace crossing the line in the middle of the pack, a quick shoulder check confirmed that I hadn't been eliminated (bottom four). Back up we went, same again for another lap, I struggled a bit with the climb back out and made too much effort to get to the front of the pack before the second sprint started and my legs said no... make it stop... please...

I climbed back up with the other eliminatees (bottom three) one of whom almost fainted and hit the wall literally! I think I over thought the tactics and the importance of being toward the front of the pack at the start of the sprint so wasted energy jostling for position that I should have conserved for the sprint. Also I was to far out, had I been more central or just behind the pack leaders I might have gotten better drafts and been more able to block passes.

Anyway racing feels awesome and if events like this come to your city give them a bash as they are loads of fun!

For future races like this I need to get better at climbing so it's less of a drain and better at sprinting form a rolling start.

Thanks to Evans Gateshead for getting my wheel fixed in time (free hub broke on Monday's commute/sprint practice, took off from the lights and nothing happened) and thanks to Stephen for lending me a wheel in case they couldn't.
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.