Corratec - any owners/opinions?

zedzed
zedzed Posts: 55
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Still lurking around here and suffering from analysis paralysis and not bought a new bike yet - esp. with the sales on!

Looking for XC / canal path / basic trails (no big jumps) ... thoughts on these:

Corratec X-Vert Limited edition http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/corratec-x-vert-limited-edition-bike-2013/rp-prod91545
Corratec X-Vert S04 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/corratec-x-vert-s-04-2013/rp-prod89425
Corratex X-Vert S03 http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/corratec-x-vert-s-03-2013/rp-prod89424

Thank you for any responses

Comments

• ncn
    ncn Posts: 123
    My first question would be do you have £600 or £770 to spend?
  • Somewhere between 600 and 800 ... but I've plenty of other things I could do with the (saved) cash so I'd really only want to be near 800 if I was getting significantly better, or if £600 was a false economy and I'd end up paying more in the long term. Seemed to me like the Limited Edition (£600) was good value and would be £800+ if it was on a spesh or Gaint or whatever.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'd get the cheaper and as well specced RR 8.1 from Decathlon.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • The Rookie wrote:
    I'd get the cheaper and as well specced RR 8.1 from Decathlon.

I bought a RR 5.0 last year and it had 3 punctures on the 1st three rides (and I replaced tubes and tires just in case), had problems with the front derailleur, the chain then broke, and finally the rear derailleur snapped off! This was after canal path usage. So I'm not overly fussed about getting another RR.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    All components common to millions of bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    All components common to millions of bikes.

Agreed. But almost everything "made" these days is mainly just the sum of other components. It's how it's put together, or the quality of the batch, or whatever, that counts.

Regardless, I've had a bad experience with a RR, so I won't by another one. I think that's how it works for most people that have bad experiences with a brand/shop/etc. :mrgreen:
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Snapped chain and mech sound like set up or user error.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Snapped chain and mech sound like set up or user error.

Decathlon set up the bike ... I didn't do anything other than change pedals to SPDs, put a different saddle on, and then ride on it a dozen or so times. I fell over on it once (new to SPDs!) onto grass, and at a virtual standstill - so if that affected either derailleur then they must be made of plasticine (my foot was still clipped in so I hit the grass- not the bike!)