Not quite a rant but..

Squarepants
Squarepants Posts: 1,019
edited September 2013 in Road general
pffff

In Cardiff going over the little bridge towards the Woodville this afternoon I see a guy in front of me (it's hammering down with rain at this point) on a mtb style craft in normal work clothes (trousers/shirt/jumper) with no helmet on, weaving around on the road (albeit near the pavement; not primary) with one hand on the bars and one holding an umbrella, not only holding it but failing to control it and it spending most of it's time directly in front of him. I mutter something about inappropriate riding then judge there's enough room to pass on the bend and do so.

As I pull up to the lights shortly after he pull up next to me and says "you really shouldn't overtake on that bend mate it's dangerous"

For a sec I was in this frame of mind :|:|:| :?

I won't precis the entire conversation but it was followed by a short lecture by me and how he should have correct riding attire (primarily) helmet on and be in proper control of his bike. He says "no ones ever overtaken me on that bend in 4 years"

My mind returns to :|:|

We finish our exchange with me saying that if we were to collide it would be his failing not mine. Not that constructive I know but that's what came to mind.

The gall of the man, really..

Shit rant I know..
Cube Hanzz Pro FR
It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...

Comments

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Why do people get so bothered about another cyclist not wearing a helmet? You live your life, leave the rest of us to comply with whatever laws might be in place. Wearing helmets ain't one of em btw. :roll:
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I have a picture in my mind of a kind of cross between Mary poppins and ET
  • CiB wrote:
    Why do people get so bothered about another cyclist not wearing a helmet? You live your life, leave the rest of us to comply with whatever laws might be in place. Wearing helmets ain't one of em btw. :roll:

oh god, I've inadvertently started a helmet vs no helmet thread

facepalm.jpg

and I didn't even see it coming..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • CiB
    No you haven't. I might have done so back off everyone, step away from the thread.

I've noticed in lots of paces lately (here, other discussion boards, newspaper columns etc) that whatever a cyclist might have done the most shocking thing seems to be not wearing a hat. I accidentally wondered out loud why this has become such a big problem for other people.

I plan to drink too much tonight once the kids are back from Scouts. I'm happy to put myself at risk doing it. :)
  • CiB wrote:
    No you haven't. I might have done so back off everyone, step away from the thread.

I've noticed in lots of paces lately (here, other discussion boards, newspaper columns etc) that whatever a cyclist might have done the most shocking thing seems to be not wearing a hat. I accidentally wondered out loud why this has become such a big problem for other people.

I plan to drink too much tonight once the kids are back from Scouts. I'm happy to put myself at risk doing it. :)
    But will you be wearing a helmet? Cos you really should, you know... :wink:
  • CiB
    I've got it on now, in case OH catches me on the second bottle. :)
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    CiB wrote:

But will you be wearing a helmet? Cos you really should, you know... :wink:

yeah, probably more beneficial than when riding on a road.
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • navrig
    navrig Posts: 1,352
    Anyone who rides without a helmet is nuts, IMHO of course. Clearly it is dangerous not to wear one.
  • anchormandespair.gif
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • You lost me on the umberella on a bike part. Crazy

That was never going to work well was it?

Glass box of emotion!trapped!
  • airbag
    airbag Posts: 201
    CiB wrote:

oh god, I've inadvertently started a helmet vs no helmet thread

facepalm.jpg

and I didn't even see it coming..

That entire situation sounds your fault.

If you left enough room (including acknoledging the possibility of something coming the other way), that should be your defense. If not, acknowledge your fault.

You have no right whatsoever to expect someone to do something that the law doesn't demand they do, especially if that is to compensate for your (alleged) failings as a driver. If you can't accept that other people may approach cycling in a different, but equally valid and legal, way to you, then regular cyclist or not you're still a twat.

Get some driving lessons, I'm sick and tired of having anti-motorist laws justified by people like you.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    weaving around on the road (albeit near the pavement; not primary) with one hand on the bars and one holding an umbrella, not only holding it but failing to control it and it spending most of it's time directly in front of him

All of this is poor cycling and cannot be excused. The OP said he passed when it was safe to do so. If this was the case, then I can't see what the OP did incorrectly.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Clearly the OP is just upset that he didn't think to bring a brolly. Just do your thing and let the other dude ride, he's not your responsibility.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • airbag - cool story

meursault - correct

Grill - I would have, I however didn't initiate the conversation.

I think I posted this on the wrong forum :lol: apart from meursault, you got it; you're normal..
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • jpf51
    jpf51 Posts: 35
    pffff

As I pull up to the lights shortly after he pull up next to me and says "you really shouldn't overtake on that bend mate it's dangerous"

You stopped at the lights....what kind of cyclist are you? :D
    nearly there.
  • jpf51
    jpf51 Posts: 35
    Doh you were in a car...
    nearly there.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    http://dx.com/p/umbrella-holder-for-bic ... ycle-26292

the fool , he really should use one of thesesku_26292_1.jpg
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • JPF51 wrote:
    Doh you were in a car...

I'll get your coat for you dude :lol::D

handle bar umbrella, could have done with that on Sunday

null_zps38b63f2b.jpg

would look peng on willy waver
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR