Polished Aluminium Frame

2»

Comments

• If you are insistent on stripping the frame yourself, avoid new nitromors like the plague, it is utter shite. You want starchem synstrip, or B+Q's own brand paint stripper. I've used them both a few times to strip the powder coat off a trails bike frame and the work bang on with a bit of elbow grease
    2011 carrera fury
    2012 20" onza genesis trials bike
    2014 carrera virtuoso road bike
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    If you are insistent on stripping the frame yourself, avoid new nitromors like the plague,

It's because they're no longer allowed to use the active ingredient that used to make it so effective. The current stuff is, as you say, crap.
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I looked at the reviews on nitromors, and people were saying stuff like "i would give it 0 stars but it wouldnt let me leave it blank, its that bad" and ive heard loads of bad words about the new stuff. Kowalski, my dad told me that the old stuff used to burn your hands if you left it on there for long enough :lol:

I used "Paint Panther" paint stripper to do most of it, the spray paint blistered enough for me to simply wipe it off, the factory paint didnt blister on the frame, did on the fork (after a long while though). The stripper softened the paint on the frame and i scraped it off with an oven scraper. I did that twice, then i finished it off with wet and dry.

I did have a go with industrial car spray shop stripper, one that isnt supposed to be sold to "customers" who ask for it. I had it given to me but i didnt actually end up using it as paint panther was more than adequate.

Anyway, i gave up on the polished ally, ive done it gloss black now, and it looks great! I havent lacquered it yet, i dont know if i should or not. Ill get some pictures up later on. :)
  • You should buy my ruckus frame instead of wasting time on that.

medium fram, gloss black powder coat and used by the mrs less than your mums happy pants.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • pesky_jones
    pesky_jones Posts: 2,890
    Ruckus is more of a dirt jumper, not sure thats what he wants to be honest
  • Well it should be...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Well it should be...

+1 Like most others I've tried to tell him, but he won't listen so let him waste his money and time and effort on a piece of sh!t frame.

:roll:
  • gt-arrowhead
    gt-arrowhead Posts: 2,507
    I love my piece of shit frame! ;)

Thanks for the offer mate, i do like the look of the Ruckus, but I already have a DJ GT frame anyway. I bought a chucker because at the time i thought i wanted to get into dirt jumping. But i then decided i liked offroad/MTB instead. So i basically have a Chucker as my MTB, and im loving it. By far the best bike ive owned and been on (havent been on many bikes!) I guess you could say its quite a small bike but im not exactly big nor heavy either at 5 ft 8 and 62kg.

As Pesky said thats not really what im looking for since im building a commuter.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Kowalski, my dad told me that the old stuff used to burn your hands if you left it on there for long enough :lol:

Yeah, the old stuff was v effective. If I wanted to strip a frame though I'd just take it to a powdercoater and ask them to put it in their stripper tank of evil chemicals.