What to look for in a tyre

russyh
russyh Posts: 1,375
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Right guys i know there have been countless threads over the years with regards to what tyre etc. However I cant find some specific advise as to what tyre would probably suit my riding style. i currently have a Canyon Nerve AM which came as standard with Fat Alberts, I am currently upgrading the bike and have a set of Hope hoops i shall run tubeless. The Fat Alberts 2.4 are tubless ready and i could use them, but some reviews i have read suggest they are not particularly great (anyone have any real reviews i am always nervous of internet mag reviews) I also have a Maxxis advantage and Bontrage Xox in stock.

So which tyre set would you use? The Fat Alberts or the Maxxis on the frnt and Bontrage Xox rear? Or should i be looking at a new set? if so which?

I ride mainly trail centres like FOD and Cannock. But i do take the bike XC and to lechampton, cleeve hill ec. I would really like just one set of tyres to do everything? is that even possible? I am a reasonably heavy rider at 85kg i wouldnt say i was overly fast or hard on a bike.

Comments

• mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    I typed a really long response to this before then the forum went down when I clicked, "submit", so I will summarise it here:

Hans Dampfs
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Being shallow, I go for looks over personality.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Rather than not using the tyres you have because you read a bad review why not try them for a while. Whats terrible on one trail could be great on another.
    A lot of people like Hans Dampfs but on my local trails they just don't work and Rubber Queens are far better.
  • russyh
    I will look at the hand dampfs. Thanks, the reason I wanted some advise (I guess that's what forums are for??) is I was hoping for people to give some rationale as to the correct choice. Loads of people ride the same trails as me, so rather then keep trying different setup which will cost a fortune I was hoping for some guidance. Even if that guidance was use the maxxis/bonti setup and bin the fat Albert or vice versa. It's not just about bad reviews, it's asking for opinions as what to buy if at all.
  • cooldad
    I ride with loads of people, using all sorts of tyres on the same trails.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • russyh
    So do I!! But I was really after some kind of rationale as to why people use particular tyres to help me make a purchasing decision! After all that's why I posted in buying advice. I'm not interested in feeding the troll cooldad. You think you at really smart but actually it's posts like that, which put people off posting and actually harm the forum. I love a bit of banter and sarcastic quip chucked in. But jeez get a job dude 21k posts most of which are to the detriment of this forum as you put people off asking questions!
  • cooldad
    Sorry, I didn't realise you were so sensitive.
    I was not trolling, just pointing out that different people use different tyres, and will often just recommend what they use will without having any point of reference to those they don't use, which may be better. And often recommended by people under the same circumstances. Etc etc etc.
    So I could make an earnest, sensible post, extolling the virtues of Numpty Flying Eagles in Super Sucker Octopus compound and you would be none the wiser.
    I find the best tyres are those I have confidence in. Simply knowing what I can get away with makes me braver.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    +1 for Hans Dampfs, super predictable, massive amounts of grip and not too draggy either. Of all the tyres I've used they are the best all-rounders, much better than Minions. A few folks round here swear by rubber queens, can't really go wrong with either tbh.
  • I have just got back from Cannock tonight. Second ride on Hans Damf. One in the wet one in the dry and they are great in both. Inspire confidence in my riding.

Cannot see what was wrong with what cooldad said, and it certainly does the forum any harm as far as I am concerned, just stating what is obvious. There are so many reviews out there with so many different views that I would ride with what you have and see what they are like.
  • Take careful notice of the compounds when buying tyres as they make a HUGE difference.

Basic compounds are good if you want something that will last ages, but they offer less grip.
    Soft compounds will be draggy as fook and wear quick but offer tonnes of grip.
    Then there's the ones in the middle and the multiple compound tyres for best of both worlds...

Always but more grip up front if you have the option, but still it depends on the type of bike and riding.
    DH bike has a sticky trailstar betty on the front and a fast rolling pacestar on the rear.
    XC bike has Mountain King 2 blackchilli protection tyres which offer best of pretty much everything (imo) - strong, longer lasting and high grip.
  • russyh
    Cheers guys some great advice there. I will look into hans damfs I will also do some research into tyre compounds and take on board the comments regarding hard and soft compounds.

Thanks again
  • You haven't actually written that you have a problem with your current tyres, just that the Internet might not like them.

How do you actually get on with them?
    Too-ra-loo-ra, too-ra-loo-rye, aye

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • russyh
    Well I will be giving my current set a good few blasts first. I have used the Fat Alberts and they felt quite draggy, but then again I am used to much smaller xc tyres. i haven't used them is overly moist rocky environments yet just on a trail with my wife and my local hills. Hence why asking for some advise. My new wheels came with the maxxis and bonti combo and I think I will give them a try but whilst they have some life left I would normally like to buy a new set of boots whilst I am building the bike up. From the manufacturers spec the hans dampf seem to be spec'd to suit my shopping list and from the advice above some posters seem to agree.
  • I use hans dampfs and rate them quite highly, I just think that people are under pressure to upgrade far too early and the performance benefits are often marginal.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • russyh
    Sure I can appreciate that, but tyres are your only contact point with the ground so pretty important! I am building the bike anyway so it wouldnt be an upgrade so to speak.
  • I have been where you are at the moment and recently spent ages researching tires. I needed to upgrade as the tires i got with my bike were ok for summer but just not enough for winter use. as has been said, try not to get bogged down in internet reviews, it becomes very frustrating as everyone has different opinions. Have you tried just looking at what tires people use at your local trails? Asked at local bike shops like Swinnerton? In the end I ended up with new wheel set that i got at a good price on here with the Hans Dampf on, and left the others on the other wheels for summer and commuting. you can learn a lot just checking bikes and chatting to people. before that i had a High roller and a Fire XC on the old bike. They were great as well.
  • If you find fat alberts a bit draggy the hans dampfs will be at least as bad. They are massive and heavy.
    Bontrager XR4s or Specialized Purgatory are as grippy, lighter and less draggy.
  • ^this, HD's are freaking enormous, I'm close to having the chain rub the tyre if using the granny ring.

Giant Trance
    Radon ZR 27.5 Race
    Btwin Alur700
    Merida CX500
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    HDs may be big, but they are way less draggy than Alberts.
  • lawman
    If you find fat alberts a bit draggy the hans dampfs will be at least as bad. They are massive and heavy.
    Bontrager XR4s or Specialized Purgatory are as grippy, lighter and less draggy.

Not much in weight terms between the XR4 and the Hans Dampfs, mine actually came in 20g under the weight bonty claim for the XR4. I've found the pacestar version also rolls really well, can't be that bad if I can get top 10's on road sections on Strava on my MTB ;) I love them, really think they are the best tyres out there, but it is a shame they don't do a 2.25 version in 26" or 29" (it's only available in 650b) for xc/frames with tight clearance.
  • HD's are the most draggy tyre I have had. Thats the reason I didn't keep them very long.
  • lawman
    Fair enough! Really can't understand why though, I reckon they roll just as well as Nobby Nics.
  • russyh
    Are Hans Dampfs a bigger tyre then my Fat Alberts then? My Current Alberts are 2.4 wide! They are huge.
  • They are about the same width as a 2.4 fat albert.
  • russyh
    2.35 from what i have found, not a huge deal in it i guess
  • lawman
    Russyh wrote:
    2.35 from what i have found, not a huge deal in it i guess

They say 2.35 but they are more like a 2.5. I for one love the high volume :)
  • http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12932332

Hans Dampfs 2.35 on Mavic Ex721 rims.

They are big tyres, I personally don't think they are bigger than fat alberts. About on par with a 2.5 maxxis minion/HR but they certainly don't feel like that weight wise. For a big tyre they are pretty swift.
  • ste_t
    ste_t Posts: 1,599
    I've got a 2.4" triple nano snakeskin Fat Albert sat in the garage. Used it for a couple of rides and found it utterly terrifying. No grip on roots, nor in the wet, nor in the dry, nor on hard pack, nor in the mud.

Previously had an Advantage, much better on the rear than the front. I found it great in a straight line but not so great taking turns at speed.

Now running Ardent rear (and probably will for a long time,) and Chunky Monkey 2.4" on the front. Grips on everything but without the soul destroying drag of a Minion. Fantastic tyre if a tad heavy, but was only £15 new so definitely no complaints from me.