Replacent SUV for berks in Range Rover Sport?

mr_goo
mr_goo Posts: 3,770
edited September 2013 in The cake stop
As per a previous post of mine, and my dislike for all things Range Rover driver. I think this could be the new vehicle to take over the must have marque for pr4t drivers with a superiority complex.
Vtech I await your learned comment.

jaguar-5.jpg
Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.

Comments

• arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    I think you can put that, the range rover evoque, bmw x5 and audi quat-ever all in the same category, all vehicles for people lacking in other departments :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Well me and my small penis think it looks great!
  • arran77
    Well me and my small penis think it looks great!

I was talking about taste :shock:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • Well me and my small penis think it looks great!

You are Jeremy Clarkson, and I claim my £5. ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    arran77 wrote:

It tastes great too
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Its a nice looking car but if you want a larger 4x4 there is only one choice.
    I find it funny that you should get so upset that people buy a land rover or range rover. It shouldnt offend anyone.
    Living MY dream.
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

It tastes great too

My penis? :D
  • arran77
    NapoleonD wrote:
    arran77 wrote:

It tastes great too

My penis? :D

How does NapD know? :P :shock:

seanoconn
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Much as it might be at the leading edge of the inelegant, almost brutalist 4x4 look that many currently lap up, RR/LR have succeeded in creating a recognisable family aesthetic. Conversely the Jag is completely generic - an old model Kia Sorento with a sex doll mouth (another ubiquitous & particularly grim design cue of out time; blame Audi for that one...)

Off topic a bit, but relevant to another manufacturer jumping on the 4x4 bandwagon; does anyone remember the BMW advert with an M3 schithing up an alpine pass, shots of the wheels coming oh-so close to the edge of tarmac etc, with the closing text "as unfashionable as it might be we've never made an off-road car"? Good old-school "arrogance bottled" BMW advertising made all the better by the X5 hitting the showrooms within the year...
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    VTech wrote:
    I find it funny that you should get so upset that people buy a land rover or range rover. It shouldn't offend anyone.

Chelsea tractors - high fuel consumption ugly vehicles for shipping Tarquin and Penelope 500 yds twice a day to school and back.
    If I was Prime Minister, any Chelsea tank that wasn't covered in shyte and mud would be crushed into little bits and made into bicycles.
    Alternatively, charge the feckers who own them in urban areas 50 grand a year road tax and have them fitted with speed restrictors to a maximum of 10mph.

Vote for me.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • At least it and its engines will be UK built thus supporting UK jobs. Rather see these on the roads than an import!

Life is like riding a bicycle: you don't fall off unless you stop pedaling.

Scott Foil Team Issue HMX Di2
    Boardman Team Carbon LTD
  • VTech wrote:
    I find it funny that you should get so upset that people buy a land rover or range rover. It shouldn't offend anyone.

Chelsea tractors - high fuel consumption ugly vehicles for shipping Tarquin and Penelope 500 yds twice a day to school and back.
    If I was Prime Minister, any Chelsea tank that wasn't covered in shyte and mud would be crushed into little bits and made into bicycles.
    Alternatively, charge the feckers who own them in urban areas 50 grand a year road tax and have them fitted with speed restrictors to a maximum of 10mph.

Vote for me.

No.

What's wrong with giving people choice? How boring would it be if we all drove the same cars. If a car uses more fuel they already pay more at the pump and road tax. If someone buys a Range Rover 20% of the list price is VAT. That's a huge amount. They are built in Britain. Jaguar/Land Rover now support approx 30,000 jobs either directly or indirectly through the supply chain. That's 30,000 people paying taxes and not on benefits.

After you've charged these people 50k because you don't like their choice of car what's next? If you don't like silver cars are they going to get a 5k tax?

If you don't like these cars don't buy one. Simple.
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    VTech wrote:

Which one is that?
  • Surely the only question that matters is:

How many bikes can you get in the back?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    You still can't beat the Audi Q7 for dreadfulness. It's like the quote about the Hummer "No nice person ever bought a Hummer" - works for the Audi Q7 as well though maybe you could change 'nice' to 'un-smug'.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • VTech wrote:

Vote for me.

No.

What's wrong with giving people choice? How boring would it be if we all drove the same cars. If a car uses more fuel they already pay more at the pump and road tax. If someone buys a Range Rover 20% of the list price is VAT. That's a huge amount. They are built in Britain. Jaguar/Land Rover now support approx 30,000 jobs either directly or indirectly through the supply chain. That's 30,000 people paying taxes and not on benefits.

After you've charged these people 50k because you don't like their choice of car what's next? If you don't like silver cars are they going to get a 5k tax?

I'd like to see their popularity curtailed simply to save their users from their own stupidity. The size of them is ridiculous and I've seen on many occasion unnecessary congestion caused by it, situations where roads wide enough for two more modest sized cars to pass by are turned into painfully slow stop-start journeys as the owners in such vehicles have to manouevure carefully past each other. Either they can't work out that driving a smaller car would make their journey easier, along with everyone elses, or their ego's are so inflated they value trying to make some sort of statement more than actually getting on with their day...stupid either way.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    VTech wrote:

Vote for me.

No.

I'd like to see their popularity curtailed simply to save their users from their own stupidity. The size of them is ridiculous and I've seen on many occasion unnecessary congestion caused by it, situations where roads wide enough for two more modest sized cars to pass by are turned into painfully slow stop-start journeys as the owners in such vehicles have to manouevure carefully past each other. Either they can't work out that driving a smaller car would make their journey easier, along with everyone elses, or their ego's are so inflated they value trying to make some sort of statement more than actually getting on with their day...stupid either way.

There is also the fact that this isn't simply about choice. At some point governments have to make legislation for the greater good. I'm not necessarily saying we're at that point but just because you can afford a totally unnecessarily large and powerful car doesn't mean it isn't socially irresponsible. Similar to housing really. Oil is in limited supply same as housing. It can't be left solely to free market economics. Policy is required to modify behaviour.
    And no I'm not a communist. It's all about the economy. Affordable housing and enough supply + less money leaving the UK spent on oil are positive steps to improve the economy for the long term.
  • Rolf F wrote:
    You still can't beat the Audi Q7 for dreadfulness. It's like the quote about the Hummer "No nice person ever bought a Hummer" - works for the Audi Q7 as well though maybe you could change 'nice' to 'un-smug'.

What about that 'orrible Porsche thingy, assuming it's still in production? Looked like a cross between one of their usual offerings and Eric Pickles - in any case, not what you'd expect from a sporty marque.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Someone got this right earlier, it looks like a Kia or other non-descript far eastern make.

People who buy that on style grounds will have no taste. They can think it looks great, but it doesn't, end of.

You might as well pull the badge off a Kia and bang a jag one on it, cos it will save you a fortune and look the same.
  • VTech
    Today my wife is taking the kids and their friends to Drayton Manor, its a theme park some 50km away.
    The "stupidly" large vehicle she drives (and pays £2000 to road tax) will take all 7 kids, the other option is to take 2 vehicles.
    The ironic part is, the emissions of the new 8 speed is better than the 2 year old 7 seater ford or equivalent and so most arguments from above are actually pointless.
    The vehicle does 34mpg after my software change and Co2 is reduced by 49%, nox by 61%, sOX by 53%.

We paid a huge amount of tax into the pot when it was purchased, we pay extortionate fees for fuel as you all do and we pay £12k/year in BIK tax for driving this vehicle so who are we harming ?

Low emissions
    we pay vastly into the pot
    we need only the one vehicle on almost all occasions

If people were bitching about sports cars I could understand it, they serve no real purpose other than fun but even then, if people buy them and are happy to pay then whats the harm ?
    Living MY dream.
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    Your analysis would be a fine justification but unfortunately at the Macro level just dont hold water.

Most of the parents at my Kids school arrive in Porsche Cayennes, BMW x5, and Range Rovers (yes, its that type of school!) for the school run. One, two, max three kids and the trophy wife driving, short trips of 10 or 15 kms hence the efficiencies are nowhere near the stated for these huge cars. Comparing with an older gas guzzler is like saying you are the best football team in Alaska, its just not that impressive.

For the ONE or TWO time a year you take an excursion with kids and friends, you can hire a minibus with driver cheaper than your annual car tax. Tax on fuel is high but its the first time Ive heard someone say that they are burning more petrol as a societal benefit. Please, please for the love of god dont tell me you dont understand why using more petrol is a bad thing?

Also, if we make the assumption that people like you want to show off their wealth, then its pretty safe to assume if you didn't buy a large Chelsea tractor, you'd spend the cash on something else which hopefully would be in a higher tax bracket or even, god forbid, invest it in something which would offer a higher societal net benefit. Ive a nice hotel for sale for €10mil if youre interested?
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    VTech wrote:
    so who are we harming ?

you're supporting a zoo :roll:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • VTech wrote:

Vote for me.

No.

You're missing the point. 90% of people that drive Range Rovers are c*nts. I should know, I have to cycle regulary in the Costwolds where every other vehicle is driven by an obnoxious red trousered arse'ole or be-johdpured woman who's no doubt called something like 'bunty' or 'portia'. They are the most selfish drivers on the road - no question. It's almost like they feel some kind of entitlement or higher status in society!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    You're missing the point. 90% of people that drive Range Rovers are c*nts. I should know, I have to cycle regulary in the Costwolds where every other vehicle is driven by an obnoxious red trousered ars*'ole or be-johdpured woman who's no doubt called something like 'bunty' or 'portia'. They are the most selfish drivers on the road - no question. It's almost like they feel some kind of entitlement or higher status in society![/quote]

Agreed.
    However you may regret your comment. I have made similar remarks in the recent past and incurred the wrath of quite a few Radar members, but most laughably the Range Rover Owners forum.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • arran77
    4kicks wrote:
    Your analysis would be a fine justification but unfortunately at the Macro level just dont hold water.

Most of the parents at my Kids school arrive in Porsche Cayennes, BMW x5, and Range Rovers (yes, its that type of school!) for the school run. One, two, max three kids and the trophy wife driving, short trips of 10 or 15 kms hence the efficiencies are nowhere near the stated for these huge cars. Comparing with an older gas guzzler is like saying you are the best football team in Alaska, its just not that impressive.

For the ONE or TWO time a year you take an excursion with kids and friends, you can hire a minibus with driver cheaper than your annual car tax. Tax on fuel is high but its the first time Ive heard someone say that they are burning more petrol as a societal benefit. Please, please for the love of god dont tell me you dont understand why using more petrol is a bad thing?

Also, if we make the assumption that people like you want to show off their wealth, then its pretty safe to assume if you didn't buy a large Chelsea tractor, you'd spend the cash on something else which hopefully would be in a higher tax bracket or even, god forbid, invest it in something which would offer a higher societal net benefit. Ive a nice hotel for sale for €10mil if youre interested?

VTech in a chauffeur driven mini bus, whatever next :shock:

seanoconn
  • I still find it funny that people berate other people for their choice of cars, but yet you are even worse for feeling so passionately about what other people drive to a point where it pisses you off.

Funny topic that.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    my bikes better than yours :roll: :D

general comment for amusement, not aimed at MountainMonster
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • 4kicks
    4kicks Posts: 549
    At the point at which peoples choices influence my lifestyle (eg high cost of diesel associated with these monstrosities consumption) it does p**s me off, yes. What brand of bike you ride, how much you choose to spend on it - your business. Par contre, fill the road with something best seen in a childrens transformer video, with the associated poor maneuverability at high speed, increased momentum in a crash, poor visibility, high carbon footprint? Yes, Im coming to get you with a sharp stick.
    Fitter....healthier....more productive.....
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,330
    Its all in the vein of the size of your wallet...what do YOU do for a living?...what do you earn?...what car do you drive?

The obsession with celebs, money and culture by the masses goes beyond reason.
    Having spent quite a bit of time on the continent, I soon learnt not to be twitchy when people asked what I did for a living because they were more interested in you. This is the culture of the new 'Me' society and a big f*ck off 4x4, underlines your presumed satatus and self importance.

[Slightly off topic]

I recall when a programmer friend of mine wnet to a party in London with a dot.com millionaire (before the bubble burst). The talk around the table was all about salaries and houses. Finally after the pomp and money talk, some floozy asked my friend "...and what do you do for a living?". He replied "I'll tell you my income and then you can decide whether you want to talk to me or not". Tumbleweed...silence...red faces. He went down a treat.

Despite my friend earning a fortune, having come from Luton and working himself up, his feet were firmly on the ground.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • VTech
    Personal choice.
    I know cnuts in small cars.
    I know great people in small cars.

My mother has weeks to live with pancreatic cancer that we thought had been cured after a huge op last year but sadly has returned with vengeance so my thought is do what makes you happy whilst you can.
    Id give everything I have to cure her, money means shit.
    Living MY dream.