What front mech for 42/28 FSA?

johnsav
johnsav Posts: 775
edited September 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Boardman pro HT, has an X9 direct mount fitted but i want to fit a clamp type instead.

Does anyone know which to use? I'm happy to use shimano instead, just need to know which.

Nick- before you say use a 42 tooth one, I cant find any. :wink:

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Can you fit a clamp on mech? Many frames for direct won't.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • johnsav
    johnsav Posts: 775
    Luckily yes, just.

IMAG0878_zps353eab40.jpg

IMAG0881_zps292940e2.jpg

I went for a low mount XTR and its fantastic.
    I don't blame oe X9 mech for the shifting being awful before, more so the frame. The direct mount didn't sit parallel to chain-rings and shifting was rubbish. Was nigh on impossible to get a balance between enough high screw to stop the chain flying off and the right tension to stop the chain rubbing the mech. Not only that but the angle of the chain through the front mech also caused rubbing when using the range of gears at the rear. Stupid really considering the whole point of 2x10 is to have a more usable gear range.

Fitted this XTR one, quick setup and it's perfect. Hope this helps if anyone else has similar issues with boardman frames.