Commute option in Strava

richard_farrant
richard_farrant Posts: 231
edited September 2013 in Road general
Hi

Noticed the commute tick box when uploading rides into strava, anyone know what it does? Cant see anything to distinguish between a commute and non commute, or are they just reporting back to the government on our commuting habits....

Comments

• schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    It allows you to filter commutes in your activity log. Some people with short commutes don't like to include their commuting distance in their yearly total as they see them as junk miles.

For me, I have to say how many days I drove to work in a year on my tax return. I can use the filter to see how many days I cycled and then the rest I must have driven. It would also make it easier if I had to provide any evidence when claiming the CHF 700 of tax free income for cycling to work as I can easily show all my commutes on Strava.
  • It's a way of saying 'I wasnt really trying after all, just commuting to work' if you dont get any decent times / placings, and conversely its a 'look who nails I am, I was only commuting too' if you do :p
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    schweiz wrote:
    It allows you to filter commutes in your activity log. Some people with short commutes don't like to include their commuting distance in their yearly total as they see them as junk miles.

For me, I have to say how many days I drove to work in a year on my tax return. I can use the filter to see how many days I cycled and then the rest I must have driven. It would also make it easier if I had to provide any evidence when claiming the CHF 700 of tax free income for cycling to work as I can easily show all my commutes on Strava.

I thought you got the 700 CHF tax free for using public transport? I understood it was tax of driving miles or public transport, maybe just BL, can you claim for both? I've been told I can't claim driving miles anyway as theoretically I could get to work in under 1 hour by OV and live less that 1 km from the nearest bus stop.

Most of my miles come from the commute, although I've never ticked the box in Strava.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    90% of my miles are commuting miles.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    Term1te wrote:
    schweiz wrote:

I thought you got the 700 CHF tax free for using public transport? I understood it was tax of driving miles or public transport, maybe just BL, can you claim for both? I've been told I can't claim driving miles anyway as theoretically I could get to work in under 1 hour by OV and live less that 1 km from the nearest bus stop.

Most of my miles come from the commute, although I've never ticked the box in Strava.

In OW we can claim 70 rappen/km up to a maximum of 220 work days and no more than CHF 3600 in a year. To cycle to work is a pauschal of CHF 700 but it doesn't require a minimum number of days cycling. I claim about 150-190 days driving and 30-70 cycling which means I always claim CHF 4300 tax-free. This year, with my commute dropping from 30 km to 13 km, I've not done much commuting, preferring to come home and then go out for a 'proper' ride. For ÖV, we can claim the cost of an Abo, either a GA or the yearly cost of monthly/weekly tickets.