Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27, Farnham Station, Surrey, 14 Aug

jackthepeg
jackthepeg Posts: 2
edited September 2013 in MTB stolen
Hi all

Bit late, I know, but the recent theft of my bike from my local train station is still annoying me despite the amount of time that’s passed. I know there's little chance of recovering it, but I think posting here will at least let me feel like I've done all I can do.

Place: Farnham Train Station, south side, bike racks just to right of entrance gate as you walk towards the platform. Farnham is in Surrey, south of Farnborough and West of Guildford, a couple of miles from the border with Hampshire.

Date: 14 August 2013

Time: Between ~4pm and ~10pm

Bike Description: 2007 Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27 (18", I believe)

I'm trying to get the serial number from the previous owner. I recorded it when I bought it a couple of years ago but we've since moved and I can't find it.

This photo gives a good view of what the frame looks like (the rest has been modded as described below, so the bike as a whole looks somewhat different)

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 7-07-14054

Modifications from stock:
Road tyres with reflective strip on sidewall (Continental Contact Reflex City MTB Tyre)
Wheels are Shimano M475/Mavic XM317 Silver
Avid Elixir R disc brakes
Rock Shox Tora solo air front forks (lock-out not functioning – no cable connecting trigger on handlebar to shocks)
Sram X-9 gear Shifters
Shimano Deore hollowtech II crank set
DMR V8 pedals
FSA pro carbon handlebars
ODI ruffian lock-on grips
SKS Beavertail clip on mudguard at rear (front one was stolen in a separate incident)
Cateye read light
Mount for front Cateye light (light itself wasn’t installed)

The back wheel dropped a spoke a couple of days before the bike was stolen.

I only had a cheap no-name cable to lock it up, because I don’t generally leave the bike anywhere for long periods out of sight. I thought the station was reasonably safe, especially since I thought I'd be home by early evening, and there's a CCTV camera. Unfortunately, the camera looks over the top of the bike racks and it's pretty easy to get to where my bike was without being seen. The police helpfully mentioned locking it in a rack that's better positioned relative to the CCTV. Really? Why have you installed CCTV that isn't positioned properly!?

While the bike isn’t worth much, we were burgled several months ago, and this latest event has left me pretty angry and frustrated. If anyone sees a bike that fits this description, could they please reply to this thread?

Many thanks
Jack