specialgueststar
specialgueststar Posts: 3,418
edited September 2013 in Pro race
No jersey. Any stats anywhere?

Comments

• FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    C. Horner is currently second in the under 65 category

Best under 25s would be Pinot, Nerz, Majka, Ulissi, Preidler, Elissonde, Barguil, in that order.
  • FJS wrote:
    C. Horner is currently second in the under 65 category

Best under 25s would be Pinot, Nerz, Majka, Ulissi, Preidler, Elissonde, Barguil, in that order.

:D
    Cheers
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The reason there is no jersey is that there is a limit to how many you can have in a race. The Vuelta prefer to have the 'combined' jersey. (It's hard to think of many decent Spanish cyclists under the age of 30, so maybe that's why).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    U65 category indeed, might have a go myself next year...
  • RichN95 wrote:
    The reason there is no jersey is that there is a limit to how many you can have in a race. The Vuelta prefer to have the 'combined' jersey. (It's hard to think of many decent Spanish cyclists under the age of 30, so maybe that's why).

yeah thanks to inrg :) The UCI dont think we can cope with more than 4 - even though the prestige of a U23 Jersey seems to be an obvious necessity
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    Mikey23 wrote:
    U65 category indeed, might have a go myself next year...
    There’s a German cycling website that has ‘run’ a 'Grey Jersey' competition in the Tour and Vuelta each year since 2008. By ‘run’ I mean, its stage reports always include saying which rider over-35 years old has done the best in the stage, and which is currently doing the best in the GC. (I don’t know why the website doesn’t do the same for the Giro)

When it’s all over, they not only declare the winner on their website but I think they also send the winner a grey cycling jersey as prize, no doubt with appropriate wording, e.g "Grey Jersey (Over-35s) Winner, Tour de France/Vuelta 20XX". For some winners, it probably ends up at the back of the wardrobe.

The first Tour winner was Goubert and the first Vuelta winner Rubiera. This year Klöden was the Tour 'Grey Jersey' winner.
    Obviously Horner should win it this year in the Vuelta, but for some reason the website hasn't reported their 'Grey Jersey' competition during the Vuelta at all, and I'm wondering why.

In the 2009 Tour, Armstrong (who finished 3rd, 5 mins back) should have theoretically won the website's Tour 'Grey Jersey', but the website jury imposed a virtual time penalty of 55 mins on him after stage 16, which eventually allowed the winner to be, like in 2008, Goubert (16th, 22 mins back).

The reason the 55 mins time penalty was ‘imposed’ on Armstrong by the jury was that 55 mins is apparently the length of time Armstrong made the doping control wait before they were allowed into his hotel room to test him, either that day or the day before.
    I think it pretty smart of the Grey Jersey jury to be so resolute in their decision, although their competition is basically light-hearted and whimsical, and at the time LA was still maintaining his innocence and no one had proved otherwise.

A message was sent to Armstrong, telling him he’d been penalised in the Grey Jersey competition and apparently his response was “What do you mean Grey Jersey’? What the f*uck ist this all about?”. The website naturally reported his response.