TOB - How will the Brits do ?

Full Merckx
Full Merckx Posts: 143
edited September 2013 in Pro race
Some big hitters lining up. Dowsett or Wiggo for TT. Cav for GC ?

Comments

• RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Cav for GC ?
    About as likely as Paranormal Activity 5 winning Best Picture at the Oscars
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    Cav won't come close on GC. I reckon Edmonson will be the top British rider but doubt he'll win. Wiggins should take the TT stage this close to the Worlds.
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    I have Stannard down as an outside for the title. Maybe Bibby could be up there.

Wiggo vs Dowsett in the TT could be good.

Most excited to see how the youngsters do. The likes of the Yates boys (and the rest of the GB squad), Alex Peters at Madison Genesis, Cuming and Handley at Rapha. See if one of them can do an Edmondson.
  • morstar
    morstar Posts: 6,190
    I half expect Wiggo to go all out for the win.
    Dual benefit of pushing himself hard prior to worlds and to get a bit of a confidence boost (winning is a habit). Plus a further notch on the bed post.
  • http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2013/sep/13/bradley-wiggins-tour-of-britain

This Guardian article suggests he's taking it pretty seriously, even getting Shane Sutton involved again.
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    Turfle wrote:
    I have Stannard down as an outside for the title. Maybe Bibby could be up there.

Most excited to see how the youngsters do. The likes of the Yates boys (and the rest of the GB squad), Alex Peters at Madison Genesis, Cuming and Handley at Rapha. See if one of them can do an Edmondson.

Alex is up for it. reckons getting into a break as a target but supporting Bibby may come first.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Coach H
    Coach H Posts: 1,092
    Turfle wrote:

I am sure I have read somewhere on the www that a couple of domestic team managers are a bit worried that these two could properly go for it and eliminate much of their teams riders on the time limit.
    Coach H. (Dont ask me for training advice - 'It's not about the bike')
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Coach H wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

I am sure I have read somewhere on the www that a couple of domestic team managers are a bit worried that these two could properly go for it and eliminate much of their teams riders on the time limit.
    It's 25% for a TT though. If they do about 18 minutes, that's 4.5 minutes they have to play with. Surely any self-respecting pro can knock out a 22.5 minute 10 miler without much problem.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    Coach H wrote:
    Turfle wrote:

It's 25% for a TT though. If they do about 18 minutes, that's 4.5 minutes they have to play with. Surely any self-respecting pro can knock out a 22.5 minute 10 miler without much problem.

According to Nick Bull, 3 guys missed the cut-off time for the TT in the 2011 ToB - and that was an 8.8km job
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    the discretion of the race organisers to enforce the cut, if it wiped out a whole team then I'm sure a good reason for not enforcing it would be found... for the same reason that a grupetto with all the tour de france sprinters wouldn't be booted out after the alpe Dhuez (yes I know that a few TdF riders missed the cut this year on TTs but not whole teams and this is the ToB)

having had a look at the stage profiles, I think that the winner will be the rider who can stay at the front all week and win the TT so it should be Wiggins but Dowsett will be the man to give him a run for his money

cav isn't that poor at the TT (shorter ones suit) but this one is a bit too long
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    IF Wiggins is still interested, then he will surely go all out to win. IF is however a big word.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    If Wiggins is bothered he should smash it. If he mucks around like he did last year and he can't be bothered... Seems to be it depends on how he feels on the day. (Just to clarify I like Wiggins he just frustrates the hell out of me sometimes!)
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Wiggo will win it if he wants to. Or he could go home early. :mrgreen:
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    So it's going to be tipping it down on Sunday and Wiggins has got desires for a good ride in Worlds.

If he finishes it'll be good going. And I wouldn't blame him at all.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,167
    Sky have never really shown much intent at winning the ToB and I can't see Wiggins thinking it is a big addition to his palmares. The winner will be from a pro conti squad or, possibly, a youngster from a WT squad. Despite the fact it gets a lot of attention on a British based forum and massive crowds roadside it's not a race that top riders target.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I think the TOB means more to any british fans who aren't so aware as to its unimportance than it does to 90% of the riders. A TOB title to someone like Wiggo when it isn't going to happen must be able to be passed off as a missed go on the swings after having had multiple trips to Disneyland. Not to say it can't be entertaining, and in the end it is at the tail end of the season, hopefully it will be quite watchable.
  • With the right frame of mind and a decent team around him, Wiggins could obviously win.....I really wouldn't be surprised if he went home by Wednesday.

It would be such a good thing for the event and Uk cycling if he were to win.

It would also get decent coverage and re-establish Wiggins profile among the British public, who probably wonder what happened to their BBC sports personality! :D
  • meagain
    meagain Posts: 2,331
    porker33 wrote:
    It would be such a good thing for the event and Uk cycling if he were to win.

It would also get decent coverage and re-establish Wiggins profile among the British public, who probably wonder what happened to their BBC sports personality! :D

Just so. The "public" find it difficult to understand why the "best" UK cyclist ever can't win a minor 1 week race. Hardly worthy of the Sports Personality title - nor the Knighthood. Win the ToB and then call it a day would be his best contribution to UK cycling in the widest sense.
    d.j.
    "Cancel my subscription to the resurrection."
  • I'm sure the Brits will be loving these proper British conditions.

9757110573_9792ececd6_z.jpg

9757033213_48560d3d34_z.jpg

(From the Larry Hickmott flickr feed http://www.flickr.com/photos/veloshooter/with/9757110573/)
  • durhamwasp
    durhamwasp Posts: 1,247
    Can see somebody such as Golas or Lofqvist winning it, unless Wiggo actually goes for it.
    http://www.snookcycling.wordpress.com - Reports on Cingles du Mont Ventoux, Alpe D'Huez, Galibier, Izoard, Tourmalet, Paris-Roubaix Sportive & Tour of Flanders Sportive, Amstel Gold Xperience, Vosges, C2C, WOTR routes....