Martyn Ashton paralysed?

welshkev
welshkev Posts: 9,690
edited September 2013 in MTB general
If this has already been posted sorry I've only just heard about it

http://dirt.mpora.com/news/legend-marty ... trial.html

Speedy recovery dude

Comments

• Sad news... there's injuries and then there's injuries.

Hopefully he can recover and get back on a bike, but this sounds like a life changer.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Fingers crossed for him. One of the proper legends.

On a lighter note, that's one of the first times I've ever seen him without a grumpy face.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • hope he gets well soon.
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Very sad news :( Top bloke, i recently recovered from a very serious back problem (three years in a wheelchair) And he took time to send me a very nice message and a donation when i rode for the charity that helped me back on my feet! Im 17 and he is one of the riders that i watched during my time in the wheelchair, he inspired me to get out riding as soon as i was fit too. I hope hes back soon, down but not out. Get well soon!!!
    Check out my blog for my views and reviews: http://memylifeandmybike.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Positive vibes dude, get well soon, you're in our thoughts.
    If he's not in action, he's in traction.
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    That's a right shame, must be a nightmare for him, or anyone going through a situation like this. Hopefully he'll make a good recovery and wish him luck with it, he's going to need it.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    For what it's worth, my son fractured his T 5, 6 and 7 while playing ice hockey, he made a full recovery, here's hoping.
  • Oh holy hell, no, this can't be. Martyn was one of the riders that really inspired me from way back in the day, he's always been a riding legend.
    So sad to hear of this, here's hoping for a full recovery.
  • RandG
    RandG Posts: 779
    The only way to be operated upon for this injury is via the front, i.e. in through the chest. Which means breaking rib cage and moving various organs out the way. Not pleasant at all, I know all this cause that's what the doctors told me, when my son was in hospital.
  • I used to see him riding about Newbury when I was growing up; it was hard to miss him, he wasn't hard to spot, always a million times better than anyone else you'd see out!

That injury news sucks; hope he makes a strong return
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    The bikeradar forum should send some kind of gesture - as I'm sure he has inspired/entertained nearly all of us, ie, like regional mass rides
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    Definite cyling legend. Spoke to him once in person, and he was a very cheery bloke.
    Insert bike here:
  • Like Yee this man inspired me to ride through my teenage years.

I hope he can recover from this, but this looks very life changing. thoughts are with him.
  • Sorry to hear of His injuries, but one way or another He will bounce back Im sure!

Get well soon fella!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I'll be watching this later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L_A2exFmvn0#t=11

Must have watched it a million times at Uni, before going out and practicing my back wheel hops on my mates stuntjumper.
    Insert bike here:
  • Maro
    Maro Posts: 226
    On Man!! So sorry to hear such bad news, I remember about 12 years ago when he broke his back learning backflips. I was astonished then to hear that he had returned and to see him riding again, and so well.

My thoughts go out to him for a speedy recovery, can't wait for the next Bike Party.
    Bird Aeris. DMR Trailstar. Spesh Rockhopper pub bike.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    Terrible news and like all of us I wish him a sound recovery.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • jmillen
    jmillen Posts: 627
    I read about this about a week ago, and still gutted every time I think about it.

He was here in Plymouth as part of the Animal Action Sports Tour a few weeks ago and I managed to meet him and get his autograph.

A very talented and friendly guy. I hope he is able to fully recover from this, would be such a loss to the sport.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon
    2014 De Rosa R848
    Carrera TDF Ltd Commuter
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    mpatts wrote:
    I'll be watching this later:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=L_A2exFmvn0#t=11

Must have watched it a million times at Uni, before going out and practicing my back wheel hops on my mates stuntjumper.

Best bike vid ever.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Hope things improve soon especially getting that feeling back. I fractured my T6 and 7 vertibra 3 weeks ago luckily i did not damage the spinal cord so i just have a spine brace on which is bad enough but do not want to imagine what he is going through right now. One day at a time.