Boardman Comp

daff
daff Posts: 81
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Just want to do a quick check to make sure I'm doing the right thing before I hand over my hard earned!

Have been away from the MTB scene for a few years and am just going to get a new bike and get back on the trails. Have done a bit of research and found that the Boardman bikes from Halfords come pretty highly recommended at their price point.
Through a few discounts here and there, British Cycling being one and Halfords vouchers being another, I can pick up a Boardman Comp for £495. Is there anything out there that can really beat that for under £500 that I should consider? I haven't got a Decathlon near me, so the Rockriders are out really.
I've got one reserved for Saturday, just need some reassurance that I'm not buying a donkey!
Frame looks good - triple butted always used to be the sign of a half decent upgrade platform. Suntour Epicon air forks - what are these like in relation to some Rebas I used to ride?
Thanks

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The Epicon isn't as good as a Reba, about the equivalent of a Recon silver at the weight of a gold, so not at all bad.

The Comps are a good bike, you won't regret it.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • They're good at RRP. At that price a no brainer.
  • daff
    Excellent.
    My vouchers arrived today, so off to Halfords to pick it up tomorrow :D
  • one of the best value for money brands out there, just be careful when dealing with halfords, some of their staff are ok, but some are crap, depends on the store, make sure you double check everything when you pick the bike up, ive had my boardman team over a year, best value for money bike ive ever bought, and ive paid three times what i paid for this on some of my previous bikes, definately recomended.
  • i have the boardman pro hard tail and its great, well worth the money.

like others have said when you have brought it and get it home spend 30 mins making looking over the bike, and after about 4-6 weeks make sure you get your free check up/tune up. also make sure you buy the right size bike !
  • daff
    Well, picked up the bike this morning & got to say she's lovely. Really like the frame, seems like there's lots of space for mud clearance, seems relatively lightweight.
    A little disappointed with the kit on it - Sram X5 mechs & shifers - I seemed to remember Boardman's being fairly generous with their kit previously. Doesn't really matter though as it will just get replaced when it wear out :lol:

Looks a great bike for £495!

Was interested to see that they had a new model Boardman in, a 650b at £779 - looks quite interesting for next year.