2014 Kona's

Comments

• rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Even if it comes with bars the width you like bars also come in a variety of rise and back sweep and stems come in different rise.
    A lot of people like their bars high but I like them as low as is practical to get the best possible steering.
  • Kowalski675
    Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    lawman wrote:
    To be quite honest I'd question why anyone would want to buy anything made ink Hinckley!! :lol:

You've never ridden a StripleR then, eh? :wink:
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    lawman wrote:
    To be quite honest I'd question why anyone would want to buy anything made ink Hinckley!! :lol:

As I don't really fancy dressing in leather like a complete spazwangle that would be a no. Motor bikes have zero interest for me, they just look like a quick way to an early grave. MX I'd consider but frankly I really don't see the appeal of motorbikes at all.

And if you've ever been to Hinckley you'd know why I wouldn't trust a thing that was made there!
  • lawman
    And can we please try and keep this thread remotely on topic and not about motorbikes?!
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:
    And can we please try and keep this thread remotely on topic and not about motorbikes?!

The Triumph Daytona was built in Hinckley. I wouldn't buy one of them.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    lawman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    the sooner more people start making bikes with longer top tubes, shorter stems and shorter chainstays the better imo

Loads of bikes been like this for the last decade though!

But have they really though? A medium process 134 has a 600mm effective top tube, for comparison most medium bikes are around 580-590, the large process is 631mm and most large bikes are around 600-610. I've been looking at a hell of a lot of bikes recently, and 95% of bikes have been too short or have the right but had seat tubes that were too long. The konas have the right tt length, short seat tubes so if you want more room you can safely move up a size and have masses of stand over. Its not just the sizing though it's the spec, fitting short stems, wide bars... How many reviews do you see highlighting a stem that's too long? They're well thought out bikes, expensive yes but some of the details are great.

So why you riding a BFe?!
  • lawman
    supersonic wrote:
    lawman wrote:
    supersonic wrote:
    the sooner more people start making bikes with longer top tubes, shorter stems and shorter chainstays the better imo

Loads of bikes been like this for the last decade though!

But have they really though? A medium process 134 has a 600mm effective top tube, for comparison most medium bikes are around 580-590, the large process is 631mm and most large bikes are around 600-610. I've been looking at a hell of a lot of bikes recently, and 95% of bikes have been too short or have the right but had seat tubes that were too long. The konas have the right tt length, short seat tubes so if you want more room you can safely move up a size and have masses of stand over. Its not just the sizing though it's the spec, fitting short stems, wide bars... How many reviews do you see highlighting a stem that's too long? They're well thought out bikes, expensive yes but some of the details are great.

So why you riding a BFe?!

Because everything I had fitted on it and it was within my budget! :lol: In an ideal world it would be longer, much like the HD, it's good as it is, but I think it would be better if it was a smidge longer.

You can tailor reach with a longer stem, but its a darn sight harder to actually change a bikes top tube length!
  • Kowalski675
    edited January 2014
    lawman wrote:

You were the one that derailed it, lol - I was talking about the price disrepancy on the Kona.
  • Kowalski675
    lawman wrote:
    lawman wrote:

Motor bikes have zero interest for me, they just look like a quick way to an early grave. MX I'd consider but frankly I really don't see the appeal of motorbikes at all.

That's one of the gayest statements I've ever heard. :lol::wink: As for Hinkley - the midlands is indeed a s**thole, but one of the few good things it can lay claim to is the world's most modern and advanced motorcycle factory. Even if it is owned by a fat plasterer with a bad haircut. :lol:
  • Kowalski675
    lawman wrote:

I assume from your use of the past tense that you're referring to the old T5 (or even T3) Daytonas, in which case I wouldn't buy one either (the T5 Daytona was outdated, outgunned and obsolete on its launch in 1997, never mind a decade later), but they weren't built in the current factory either.
  • rockmonkeysc
    lawman wrote:

I assume from your use of the past tense that you're referring to the old T5 (or even T3) Daytonas, in which case I wouldn't buy one either (the T5 Daytona was outdated, outgunned and obsolete on its launch in 1997, never mind a decade later), but they weren't built in the current factory either.

I forget the model but test rode one in 2002ish and it was overweight and underpowered with wallowey suspension.
  • Kowalski675
    lawman wrote:

I forget the model but test rode one in 2002ish and it was overweight and underpowered with wallowey suspension.

I refer you to my previous comment, lol: "the T5 Daytona was outdated, outgunned and obsolete on its launch in 1997, never mind a decade later" (although early ones now seem to have attained classic status). Nobody saw the paradigm shifting 4XV R1 coming though - it wiped it's arse on the rule book, tore it up and tossed it away, and the other manufacturers were caught with their pants down so comprehensively that it took 3 years for anyone to catch up, when the K1 GSXR thou became the new daddy. Wisely Hinckley realised that they couldn't compete without a complete new bike anyway (and couldn't afford to do that), and saw the death of the litre sportsbike class written on the wall anyway, so retired the outclassed old shonker, pulled the plug on their almost production ready Hayabusa competitor, abandonded that sales sector (and 4 cylinder motors) and concentrated on the triple engines and more niche models they do well, and comprehensively wiping the floor with the inferior Japanese opposition in the middleweight class instead.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I liked the T5! As long as you didn't believe them when they said it was a sportsbike, it was fine. Comfy, moderately quick... Cornered like a spacehopper but that can be fun too. Meanwhile everyone else was busy making their litre bikes ridiculously good and fast, so they could be ridden slowly by accountants.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kowalski675
    Northwind wrote:
    I liked the T5! As long as you didn't believe them when they said it was a sportsbike, it was fine. Comfy, moderately quick... Cornered like a spacehopper but that can be fun too. Meanwhile everyone else was busy making their litre bikes ridiculously good and fast, so they could be ridden slowly by accountants.

Yeah, they should've marketed it as a sports tourer, rather than trying to convince people it was a sportsbike (although the excruciating agony of its seat wouldn't really fit with that, lol, nor the ridiculously over hard rear suspension). It was outclassed and outgunned as a sportsbike by the 'Blade that had already been around 5 years when the T595 was launched - to try pitch it against the 4XV R1 was just laughable. Finishing developing it before launching it might've been a good idea too - the snapping headstocks, self destructing sprag clutches, awfully crude on-off F.I. delivery, seizing rear hubs (with hideously expensive bearings) and exploding fourth gears weren't really great ideas, for example...
  • lawman
    And as usual...

467288_1.jpg
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    The on-topic thread seemed to have died a death so it's not so much derailed as re-railed.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Kowalski675
    Northwind wrote:
    The on-topic thread seemed to have died a death so it's not so much derailed as re-railed.

And crying about a thread subject changing is really bizarre behaviour anyway - it's a conversation, that's what conversations do...
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Northwind wrote:

Motorcycle.
    Lol
    Whatever.
    Ad infinitum.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    And crying about a thread subject changing is really bizarre behaviour anyway - it's a conversation, that's what conversations do...

^ This. In most case threads are all the more interesting for a bit of diversion. And besides, if you want a thread to stay strictly on topic make some posts to that effect rather than posts repeatedly whining about the off topic.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    There's interesting, and there's every thread's common denominator being motorbikes.
  • lawman
    There's interesting, and there's every thread's common denominator being motorbikes.

For once I actually agree with Chunkers! :lol: It's not so much going off topic, it's just its always about bloody motorbikes... Maybe he got confused when he signed up to bikeradar?
  • Angus Young
    Skip the posts or pull it back on track.
  • Chunkers1980
    Why should we?

We joined a site which talks about MTBs as they are one of our passions.

Yes there are links from MTBs to motorbikes, but if you primarily want to talk about motorbikes then either start a thread in the CC/hub, or better still join a specific site where there are likeminded people.
  • Angus Young
    Why should we?

Why shouldn't you? Is it really that big a deal? I have no interest in motorbikes, so I just skip the posts. It takes absolutely no effort on my part. Maybe you find it somehow difficult. And, as I said, rather than endless off topic posts about the thread being off topic, why not make a post on topic worthy of reigniting the thread. Or is everything always someone else's fault...
  • Angus Young
    edited January 2014
  • rockmonkeysc
    Move on from motorbikes to Britain's most scenic dogging sites.
  • Chunkers1980
    Why should we?

Why shouldn't you? Is it really that big a deal? I have no interest in motorbikes, so I just skip the posts. It takes absolutely no effort on my part. Maybe you find it somehow difficult. And, as I said, rather than endless off topic posts about the thread being off topic, why not make a post on topic worthy of reigniting the thread. Or is everything always someone else's fault...

You really are a nit picker.

A thread is a thread as like, a conversation and a needle and thread, it flows. Interject it with off topic nonesense then it makes it harder to follow.
  • Angus Young
    Why should we?

You really are a nit picker.

A thread is a thread as like, a conversation and a needle and thread, it flows. Interject it with off topic nonesense then it makes it harder to follow.

So, go ahead, make an on topic post...
  • Kowalski675
    Some people really need to get a life... :lol:

And, just for the record (and as already stated), I wasn't the one who changed the subject anyway - I was talking about the price discrepancy between the Kona's US and UK RRPs.