Need advice on buying used bike

biswasg
biswasg Posts: 9
edited September 2013 in Road beginners
I am considering buying a decent second hand road bike. I have shortlisted some prospective bikes whose advertised specifications meet my expectations. I will be checking one in person during this weekend. What do I need to check apart from whether the size fits my height. I have the following questions:

1. How do I know what were the original specifications of the bike as it is a 2011 model?
2. How to assess that the wear and tear is greater than what is normally expected for its age?
3. How to know the asking price is a fair one?

Thanks

Comments

• biswasg wrote:
    I am considering buying a decent second hand road bike. I have shortlisted some prospective bikes whose advertised specifications meet my expectations. I will be checking one in person during this weekend. What do I need to check apart from whether the size fits my height. I have the following questions:

1. How do I know what were the original specifications of the bike as it is a 2011 model?
    2. How to assess that the wear and tear is greater than what is normally expected for its age?
    3. How to know the asking price is a fair one?

Thanks

It's much like buying a used car! you wouldn't want a pile of junk without doing the groundwork first. If they are local, arrange a viewing of the bike. Google is your best friend for looking at previous years models.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    1) does it matter what the original specs were? You could find out by googling the model & year.

2) most wear/tear items are what I'd consider consumable - chain/cassette/brakepads - so unless they look new then just assume the bike doesn't have them when considering the value. Other than that, carefully look over the bike - in all the awkward places - look for chips/scrapes/scratches. check the wheels spin & steerer works ok. You could also place the bike on the ground and rock fore/back with the brakes on as that'll help identify play/wearing.

3) tricky - what is a fair price? It's obviously something you can afford - what else could you get for that money? Check ebay completed listings, gumtree & classifieds on here for similar priced bikes - how do they compare? It's a bit subjective.

I bought a second hand bike (2011 model!) - I already knew the size would fit and I'd checked out the spec and seen it had been upgraded. The previous owner (yes I bought it) had looked after it really well and showed me everything he did - we popped a set of pedals on and I gave it a quick spin (he came with me as I didn't know the area) - that told me everything I needed to know. The bike felt comfortable, looked good - just the "usual" cable wear points and was well priced ...
  • Check the join between the downtube and the headtube, you're looking for any ripples in the paintwork, which will indicate a head on crash and a bent frame. Get a ride on it and try it no hands, look out for any veering to one side which will also likely indicate a previous prang.
    Music, beer, sport, repeat...
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    blinddrew wrote:
    Check the join between the downtube and the headtube, you're looking for any ripples in the paintwork, which will indicate a head on crash and a bent frame. Get a ride on it and try it no hands, look out for any veering to one side which will also likely indicate a previous prang.

All sounds a bit dramatic in reality :shock: and the veering to one side when riding no hands might be due to rider capability.

1. Use Google for specs if you don't know them
    2. Use your eyes and ask questions - does the 'wear and tear' reflect the claimed usage (most sellers leave a few hundred miles off the clock in my experience)
    3. Know your market re: pricing and as others have said check eBay completed listings (eBay prices are strong usually - don't pay eBay prices at auction if you can help it - usually better bikes for sale on here that have often been looked after better by enthusiasts.

If you are a novice be prepared to learn from your mistakes/lack of knowledge if you are not careful
  • Thanks for all the helpful advice. I became a proud owner of a BMC Streetracer SR02. I believe it is from the BMC 2011 catalogue. The bike was reported to be used over a one and a half season. Physical examination and test ride was good.
    Can someone guide me to the BMCs instruction manual for this bike?
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    'Instruction manual'????? Get on it and ride it!

The instruction manual for one bike will be the virtually the same as an instruction manual for another - they're a bike. Two wheels and a frame and you push the pedals to make them move.

Re: maintenance - check out youtube vids and useful sites like Sheldon Brown and Park Tool sites
  • nochekmate wrote:
    'Instruction manual'????? Get on it and ride it!

The instruction manual for one bike will be the virtually the same as an instruction manual for another - they're a bike. Two wheels and a frame and you push the pedals to make them move.

Re: maintenance - check out youtube vids and useful sites like Sheldon Brown and Park Tool sites

True, one does not need any instruction manual to ride the bike. I just did what you said, ride it. However, my question was more related to a technical/maintenance manual.

I called up BMC's technical division and they were kind to send me the operational manual for the BMC road bikes. I found it useful.