London Black Cab complaint

mroli
mroli Posts: 3,622
edited September 2013 in Commuting chat
A couple of weeks ago, I was cycling down the Mall. Traffic was medium - not too bad. We were stopped at the lights and cyclists filtered to the front (I was at the front), when the lights turned green, I took off. I heard some beeping, turned my head, worked out it wasn't me and carried on.

Shortly afterwards a taxi (silver mercedes cab) came past me and pretty much brushed my elbow. He got caught at the Buck Palace lights turning left and I was going straight on - I turned to him and said:
"Come on mate, you've got to give me a bit more room than that."
"You talking to me? You talking to me?! I don't care, I hate f*&king cyclists, I'd be happy to have run you over, what you going to say to that eh? Eh?"
"Listen mate, all I'm saying is please give me more room, as the Highway Code requires you to"
"F*&k you mate, I'd be happy to kill you, happy to kill all cyclists"

The conversation carried on on those lines until the lights turned green for him to turn left which he did so. A motorcyclist to my right said "I can't believe he was saying those things" and a couple of other cyclists were pretty shocked by his attitude.

I made a complaint through the TFL website about it- I got his number off the back of the cab - I just think with that attitude, he is going to hurt someone sometime and he is consciously making the decision to do so. Got the following response from the PCO today:
Thank you for your e-mail regarding the conduct of a licensed taxi driver on 28 August 2013.
I am sorry to hear of your experience as we expect all taxi drivers to comply with all relevant legislation and to conduct themselves professionally at all times when dealing with the public. We will raise this matter with the driver concerned and take appropriate action.
Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention as it is only with the public’s help that we can address concerns and raise standards within the licensed taxi trade.

May just be a fob-off response, but I do feel better that some steps will be taken, no matter how insignificant they are.

Comments

• sketchley
    sketchley Posts: 4,238
    When I complained it was on two fronts, one about dangerous driving, the other about the conduct of the driver when confronted. I was told in no uncertain terms that complaints about dangerous driving should be made to the police and they wouldn't deal with that, the response about the driver's conduct was almost identical. Perhaps you could make a freedom of information request to find out how may complaints recivied, how many drivers spoken too, and what outcomes.

Not sure about the law on this but isn't what he said very close to a threat to kill, which is a criminal offence. If you have witnesses maybe you should report it to the police. That being said I had a cab driver deliberately swerve into me and try to knock me off after I talked to him about his bad driving around me and other cyclists at E&C roundabout one morning, threatened to report him but couldn't be bothered, come to think of it he was quite swearing and silver "black" cab as well.
    --
    Chris

Genesis Equilibrium - FCN 3/4/5
  • I got the exact same bulls*it response when I complained about a black cab driver earlier this year. Also got his number, and like you hoped that should he get complained at again then real action would be taken...like you, I suspect nothing was done. Next time I might go to the police.

Btw I was on my vespa at parliament square...he passed my handlebar by inches which I pulled him up on 20 foot ahead at the lights. He gestured and ranted then he did the exact same thing again - this time even closer and with him on my right and the concrete barrier on my left (he basically forced me there). The slightest wobble and it would've been nasty.

Was shaking with rage and shock the rest of the way to work. Didnt calm down till lunchtime...
  • double post...

oh, and because this was the most cctv'd place in the country, they would be able to check out my story quite easily.

But of course I very, very much doubt they did.
  • mroli
    I dunno - it sounds a bit wet, but it was pretty mad to hear someone in a calm, rational (but sweary) way just say that he'd be happy for you and everyone like you to die and that he wish he could do the killing. Just really took me and the others around me back. I got his number, reported it and the PCO said they'd take steps. I guess I don't know if they will or not and to be fair, I don't know what they CAN do - it is kind of my word v his as I didn't stop to gather witnesses around me, but I guess they must keep a record of these things and if (heaven forbid) he does do something, then at least this should be on his "record".

I don't know if saying "something" ever does anything - but normally when I try and do it, I try to do it politely and in a positive manner, smiling and saying thank you to try and leave a positive human message behind it. There is a bloke who does my commute and I see him infrequently and he is always yelling at motorbikes in cycle lanes, at pedestrians still crossing on yellows etc and whilst he "may" be in the right sometimes, it just seems a bit unnecessary....
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    You should have just D-locked him and his car. That would have shown him that he shouldn't go around making threats to kill cyclists threatening to run us over because some of us will fight back as no one else will stick up for us. The police and courts prove time and time again that they are fecking useless. Don't put up with this sh1t. I swear it's getting worse.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • mroli
    I was going to write a long response, but, in short, I disagree that D Locking him would be a better way of dealing with the issue.

For very many reasons, but one being that I don't carry a D Lock.
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    mroli wrote:
    I was going to write a long response, but, in short, I disagree that D Locking him would be a better way of dealing with the issue.

For very many reasons, but one being that I don't carry a D Lock.

I dont carry a D-lock either, I also definitly try to avoid confrontation where I can, its the coward in me. So just leave it, and report it as appropriate.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,084
    dilemna wrote:
    You should have just D-locked him and his car.

So would you prefer the scenario where he then really does run you over, or the one where you end up convicted of assault?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • +1 to Dilemna. You are the only person I've ever come across who shares my approach to self defense...unless you're being sarcastic of course.
  • The last couple of days I've had a couple of opportunities to close pass people who've close passed me. One a white van who roared past inches from my right elbow then got stuck at lights - I had room to filter up his right at speed, so stomped on the pedals and whizzed very close past his right mirror. He probably didn't get my point but it was satisfying nonetheless.

Then this morning a scooter came past very close, then again held up at lights. He stopped before the ASL, so I pulled up right next to him, very close. Did it again at the next set of lights too - I was itching for him to say something so I could say 'oh, I thought from that pass you gave me you liked it up close and personal' or similar.

A bit pathetic and I should stop with that kind of passive-aggressive shoot, but oddly satisfying and margainally better than getting all shouty and sweary, which I have been known to do in the past :oops:
  • tgotb
    tgotb Posts: 4,714
    You did better than me; I got rear-ended twice by a black cab (on purpose, by the driver's own admission) and contacted the Public Carriage Office to complain. Their response was that they're only interested in complaints from passengers (ie paying customers), and (paraphrasing) I was welcome to stick my complaint where the sun doesn't shine...
    Pannier, 120rpm.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    The last couple of days I've had a couple of opportunities to close pass people who've close passed me. One a white van who roared past inches from my right elbow then got stuck at lights - I had room to filter up his right at speed, so stomped on the pedals and whizzed very close past his right mirror. He probably didn't get my point but it was satisfying nonetheless.

Then this morning a scooter came past very close, then again held up at lights. He stopped before the ASL, so I pulled up right next to him, very close. Did it again at the next set of lights too - I was itching for him to say something so I could say 'oh, I thought from that pass you gave me you liked it up close and personal' or similar.

A bit pathetic and I should stop with that kind of passive-aggressive shoot, but oddly satisfying and marginally better than getting all shouty and sweary, which I have been known to do in the past :oops:

I guess the only issue I have with this is that it send the message that we cyclists are OK with close passes, because we will happily get close to vehicles!
  • Keep reporting them. You may not be the only one to report a particular driver, and if they get a few complaints about the same driver it makes it harder for them to ignore, especially if those complaints relate to safety or threats of violence. Report to both the police and TfL and let TfL know you're doing so (might make it harder for them to ignore, and harder to avoid liability if the particular driver ever does get convicted for something).

I've found from experience that black cab drivers in general really don't like cyclists. Even if the violent aggressive types are a minority, the rest just seem to do whatever they can to make life difficult for cyclists: never giving us space to pull out, never leaving a gap, etc. There are of course exceptions and some are excellent and very professional road users.
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • hstiles
    hstiles Posts: 414
    wandsworth wrote:
    I've found from experience that black cab drivers in general are complete and utter c*nts.

FTFY
  • sswiss
    sswiss Posts: 354
    hstiles wrote:
    wandsworth wrote:
    I've found from experience that black cab drivers in general are complete and utter c*nts.

FTFY

:lol::lol::lol:
  • The PCO is useless, go straight to the police:

Dangerous or Careless Driving

If you witness or are subjected to bad driving / riding, which does not result in a collision and wish to report this to police then this must be recorded on a form 966 Traffic witness form.

If the incident occurs within London, the form 966 can be obtained from any Metropolitan police station. Please note if we do not receive this form within 14 days of the offence we may be unable to take any further action due to the legislation contained within S1 Road Traffic Offenders Act 1998. Also not every incident of bad driving will result in a prosecution but you may be required to attend court in certain circumstances.
  • I've tried complaining as well, even with helmet cam footage and they don't do a thing. TFL (Streets) the Public Carriage people and the Police. Each and every time I got nowhere. Never a response from the PCO and only got one from TFL after I said on my 2nd follow up email 2 months later that as they are not interested I would be adjusting the attitude towards safe cycling on the side of the road with the next one. The Police will do nothing unless there are 2 things - witnesses and serious injury. Without those two you a pissing in the wind.

Nowadays I let them make a mistake..... if they keep at it and swerve, beep, follow closely or continue to abuse me after making their mistake then they learn quite quickly that their mirror falls off very easily or the guard above the front wheels caving in is not that strong when they position their cab so close to a cyclist they come into contact with their feet. I've heard it straight from a Policeman's mouth that if they cut you up and still drive so close to you that you can make contact with their cab then they will have a hard time explaining the reasons why they never gave the cyclist the room they are required to give ie; if they make a complaint they will get done with a lot worse themselves.

Another avenue is to complain to the PCO but not about the driving but the amount of smoke coming out the exhaust. This will get followed up and in most cases will require the cabbie to shell out some cash to get the cab up to spec so it can pass an inspection.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,625
    Funnily enough I cycle in London everyday and have never had any problems with black cabs, mini cabs are lethal though! Unfortunately you come across a few tw@ts in ever kind of vehicle. Avoiding confrontation with a tank, trying to keep calm and reporting the driver was the best you could have done in the circumstances.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • I think part of the reason why they are so angry (especially toward cyclists) is because they are miserable middle-aged men who failed at life.