My Commuting Setup

Bustacapp
Bustacapp Posts: 971
edited September 2013 in Commuting general
I have been commuting since June (10 miles each way), and have not driven since (apart from one day due to moving house and having the car available). What I have learned in that time has proven invaluable. Here are my commuting setups:

Summer:
I work in an office, and cannot be bothered going into the toilets to get changed or take a shower when I get there. So I purchased some walking trousers from sports direct that can just about pass as acceptable in the office. They can be converted into shorts. I would wear them full length (with ankle clips) on the way in (cool enough at 6:30 am) along with a t-shit. Upon arrival at work I would change said t-shirt at the bike shelter with a pre-packed office shirt, along with a couple of squirts of deodorant. I was wearing clipless shoes and would change them for the office shoes in my drawers at work. I also had a spare pair of proper trousers in there should the need arise to use them. Throughout the day I would only get faint whiffs of my testicles and bumcrack (I actually sweat more if I go for a walk at lunchtime), so not enough to bother people across the way from me. On the way home I would change my shoes and return to the bike shelter where I would remove bottom of walking trousers but keep my office shirt on (which would be washed at home and changed daily). I carry everything I need in a rucksack.

Autumn:
I now wear waterproofish boots and am not clipped in. Above my office walking pants I wear some b'twin waterproof overtrousers which have built in overshoes that I stretch over my entire shoe, offering complete protection. Up top I have swapped the t-shirt for a cheapo lidl long sleeve base garment and on top of that I wear a high viz, breathable Dare2B Waterproof jacket that keeps me mostly dry (hoping condensation/sweat reduces as the weather cools). For lighting I have Lezyne Micro-Drives both front and rear for their excellent vizibility and easy (free) charging from my workplace USB (feels safe knowing you can get power in them whenever you need). Again bollock-tea and swamp-ass is kept to a minimum.

just thought i'd share..

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Personally I just keep a complete change of clothes at work (bringing in replacements as and when required). Get to work, bike in Office, put the kettle on and go and get washed & changed.
    Kit can then hang up in my office to air/dry and it's ready for when I go home.
    Just occasionally it looks like it won't dry in time - so I direct a fan at the item(s) in question.

Footware - cycling shoes - with overshoes if it's going to be wet
    Lower half - cycling shorts & 3/4s or longs as required - waterproof over trousers if it's going to be really wet.
    Top half - cycling jerseys to suit conditions and a waterproof jacket if required.

ie - normal cycle gear!
  • Slowbike wrote:
    ie - normal cycle gear!

..are you suggesting that my 'cycle gear' is abnormal?
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Bustacapp wrote:
    Slowbike wrote:
    ie - normal cycle gear!

..are you suggesting that my 'cycle gear' is abnormal?

Totally ...

10 miles or about 30 to 40 minutes is worth getting kitted up for ...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Baggy shorts and a base layer 2 (10 months of the year) for me...change of clothes kept at work!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Slowbike wrote:

Totally ...

10 miles or about 30 to 40 minutes is worth getting kitted up for ...

I think so. It takes about 1 minute of fumbling to put on overtrousers. The jacket goes on as default. I even stopped under a tree and did an impromptu change the other day as I was caught out in a deluge. They certainly stop me from getting absolutely drenched.
  • Full Lycra for me (mostly because a full week in just shorts would be uncomfortable) will add in a normal hoodie if it gets really cold in the winter. then keep Work shoes, suit, trousers and a jumper in the office. Lucky to have fairly comprehensive changing and shower facilities, so will shower and change leaving my kit to dry in the changing rooms. Also keep an emergency shirt in my locker (Horizontal not vertical sadly) after an incident last year left me wandering round London looking for somewhere to buy a shirt!

Friday sees the towel come home for washing... route is only about 10km each way but tend to extend that out most evenings/mornings.

No idea how people manage to cycle in and not shower, I would pity my workmates who would have to sit near me after a commute of any distance!
  • daddy0
    daddy0 Posts: 686
    Full lycra for me too. Only a 10-12km journey, but I have to climb up to Crystal Palace in the morning which always makes me sweat. I hate riding in anything but proper cycle gear now, everything else just feels very uncomfortable.

We don't have showers at work, but I keep clean boxer shorts, jeans and tshirts in my drawers and a pair of trainers (no suits here :-)). I have a shower before I leave in the morning, so my sweat doesn't smell bad. I have deodorant, but don't need to use it. If I sweat a lot I wipe myself down with some paper towels before I change. Actually, because I have forgotten to bring in fresh clothes for a while I am wearing a tshirt for the fourth time today - it doesn't smell at all (verified by work colleague).

To the OP - I am pretty sure that you block out your own body odor somewhat, and some people have more sensitive noses than other people. So if you can smell your man parts and bum crack :shock: then others probably can too - urgh!!!
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Wearing waterproof shells when it isn't raining is bound to make you sweaty, no matter how breathable they claim to be. On your legs, hiking trousers should be more than enough protection until it gets really cold.
    Windproof non-waterproof outer shells are much better for riding in dry and damp conditions. Save your waterproofs for actual precipitation. Windproof gillets are a useful option for autumn and extra insulation in winter.
    I find that a rolling cooldown in the last few hundred m is more effective than racing to a stop and trying to cooldown on my feet.
    On a 10mile ride, I prefer my luggage to be on the bike rather than my back.
  • jjojjas
    jjojjas Posts: 346
    mozzer2906 wrote:

No idea how people manage to cycle in and not shower, I would pity my workmates who would have to sit near me after a commute of any distance!

Its easy. just reprogram yourself to pootle in at 9mph with less gear on than usual and you wont stink because you wont be all sweaty :) .
    Jas
    it looks a bit steep to me.....