Only £200 to spend what can I get?

alamb200
alamb200 Posts: 74
edited September 2013 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I am looking to buy an entry level bike for my son so have come to you for guidance if that is okay?

He uses a bike to go to school and back but now and again does like to go down a grass track or two.

He is a typical 14 year old boy who treats everything I have bought him so far without any respect and so the idea of spending a lot of money on a bike for him does not really work with me.

I have been looking at the following on Ebay but because they are cheaper bikes there aren't many reviews available.

DIAMONDBACK Hardtail DBR M05 Mountain Bike 26"

BARRACUDA Arizona 26" Full Suspension Adult Mountain Bike

Falcon Abyss Mens Dual Suspension Bike - Black, 26-inch

I know that most people who answer this will tell me you get what you pay for and that I need to spend more to get a decent bike but the funds are just not there to do this.

Can you help?

Thanks,

alamb200

Comments

• avoid full suss at that price point - it adds weight and removes control.
    I'm very responsible, whenever anything bad happens they always say I am responsible.....
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you look at second hand bikes on eBay in good condition you should be able to get something like a specialized hardrock or similar for £200 or less. That would effectively be a £300 bike for a lot less. Just be careful not to buy an older / worn out bike. There are some real bargains out there as a lot of people buy a bike, don't use it and it lives in the garage in near Mint condition.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    ianm7222 wrote:
    avoid full suss at that price point - it adds weight and removes control.

Good advice, full suspension is pointless unless you go off road a lot and spend much more money for a good quality bike.
  • Totally understand where you are coming from.

Of those three definitely the DIAMONDBACK. As has been said before, full suspension is for serious off-road and mainly downhill riding. Cheap full suspension is pretty rubbish, heavy and saps the rider's pedal power as they bounce about.

I'd almost say maybe don't even get front suspension, just a fully rigid bike, but he might not want such a 'basic' bike so the Diamondback looks good to me.

That is my tuppence worth.
  • If looking on ebay, keep your eye out for a Carrera Fury, Kraken or maybe Vulcan (in that order of preference) - you may be able to pick one of those up in budget and were good value new so hopefully will be second hand too. Maybe a 2009-2011 model.

Older Specialized Rockhoppers were pretty good - maybe circa 2008-2009 if in good condition.

Decathlon Rockrider 8.1 worth looking our for - again a great value bike brand new so hopefully affordable second hand.

Obviously the list is endless, but that's a starting point.

Avoid full suss at all costs. Also avoid brands like Appollo, Baracuda, Falcon etc. In fairness, they'll probably do for commuting to school, but it's nice to have a decent bike incase he progresses to more off road stuff.
  • btw, also look on the classifieds on this forum and on singletrack world.

Also Gumtree maybe, although you may want to be careful about the origin of the bike on there!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Avoid a Lardrock, apart from the Sport Disc they are horrid contraptions.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Look on EBay for any Carrera Vulcans etc as suggested. Or up the budget by £150 and get a new Carrera Vulcan or a Rockrider 5.3 (£329) but eBay has some good bargains. My mate picked up a Boardman Comp Hardtail for £250. Just he's battered it. And another mated got a Voodoo Hoodoo for a similar price.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The son got a Spesh P1 AM (120mm rockhopper) for £120 off fleabay.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hi everyone,
    thanks for all your advice I have got my eye on a Carerra Vulcan at the moment which looks promising.
    I will let you know what happens and thanks again.
    alamb200
  • Thanks to every one who posted here I took your advice and bought a second hand Carrera Vulcan for £230.

It is good condition so hopefully my son will love it at christmas.

Thanks again,

alamb200