What an inconsiderate twat!

bushpixy
bushpixy Posts: 49
edited September 2013 in Road general
Being national cycle to work day I decided I would do it. 38.4miles of it...

Everything going well until I hit a patch of diesel (I can only imagine) and dropped the bike doing around 10mph on a 30-45degree bend

The twat in the story comes in the form of a fat van driver who laughed loudly whilst shouting I deserved to fall off because I don't pay road tax :roll:

Thankfully 2 more considerate motorists slowed to check I was ok.

Scuffs to knee, rear QR, pedal and both shifters. Bump to my shoulder and helmet. I'm ok though :)

Comments

• If the van was signwritten I think that would be my starter for many months of fun at Fattys expense.
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    Today is national cycle to work day?
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Not well announced was it. I found out last week by which time it was too late to do anything at my place of employment. I'd say today we had three bikes including mine and maybe 300 cars.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • goonz
    unixnerd wrote:

Not well announced was it. I found out last week by which time it was too late to do anything at my place of employment. I'd say today we had three bikes including mine and maybe 300 cars.

Not at all, given the widespread popularity of cycling nowadays today should have been publicised much better than it was.
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I hate a bump to the helmet.
  • DavidJB wrote:

better than a bump to the head though! :)

Good job I didn't buy that Specialized Evade on saturday. Would of been a shitter to write that off on the 1st ride. £160 down the pan lol
  • goonz
    bushpixy wrote:
    DavidJB wrote:

better than a bump to the head though! :)

Good job I didn't buy that Specialized Evade on saturday. would have been a shitter to write that off on the 1st ride. £160 down the pan lol

The way that thing looks, I'd have been happy to smash it on my first ride.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    Sustrans and cycle2work scheme have been publicising it. I know it's perhaps preaching to the converted a little bit, but maybe it's a reminder to go and dust off all those tax-free bikes mouldering in people's garages/sheds.
  • unixnerd
    If they'd announced it through British Cycling they'd have contacted many more folk (me included).

On the subject of helmets I recently bought a new Specialized lid myself when they did the half price promotion last month (or the month before). I think they have a free or discounted crash replacement programme?
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I rode for the third time this week, took the MTB for a change. It's only 10 miles each way, but didn't quite leave home early enough so had to push hard near the end.
    Would like to thank the fatty in the scaffolding truck who ignored the layby coming down the hill and more or less forced me off the road as I tried to climb; he wasn't going fast so it could have been worse. Being a scaffolder, I didn't shout "W@nker" too loudly...
    I forgot the farm I go through near the end of the ride takes all the run-off from the downs, so was swamp like for a good 100m. Got to work looking like a muddy drowned rat, and found my sarnies (which were wrapped in foil and stuffed in my jersey pocket) had bits of dried mud on them at lunch!
    And to top it all, I have a slow puncture so the tyre will be dead-flat at home time. I think the problem is the valve though so not sure if it is worht trying to repair...
  • saprkzz
    saprkzz Posts: 592
    to be fair, i would have laughed as well.. I have a sick habbit of doing that to my ride buddies!.. especially off road on the MTB's!! :twisted: :lol:

I wouldnt have shouted the road tax thingy though! :lol:
  • I cycled to work today, specifically because it was cycle to work day - could really have done with another rest day. I don't normally see other cyclists on my route in the morning, but expected to see the odd one or two today. Nothing. I did however get overtaken by about 30 cars on the section of my commute that's on country roads when normally it's only 5 max. bizarre.
  • it's an 80 mile round trip for me to get to work and back so I made the effort to do it today
  • unixnerd
    it's an 80 mile round trip for me to get to work and back so I made the effort to do it today

Our Stavanger office has an annual award for whoever clocks up the most miles cycling to work. If you cycle to work over there the company pays for winter and summer cycling kit plus you get a secure bike park. They easily have 8-10x the %age of cyclists that we do, but they also have outstandingly good cycle paths. If they can manage it in Norway folk here really can't blame the weather for not cycling.
  • rhext wrote:
    Sustrans and cycle2work scheme have been publicising it. I know it's perhaps preaching to the converted a little bit, but maybe it's a reminder to go and dust off all those tax-free bikes mouldering in people's garages/sheds.

Yeah - I heard about it in e-mails from the cyclescheme - as you say, trying to get people to cycle to work by e-mailing people who've (allegedly) bought a bike with the specific intention of cycling to work on it. More exposure needed!
    "I look pretty young, but I'm just back-dated"
  • 79.5 miles there and back for my Cycle to work day.

Shattered on the way home. Jelly babies and gels didn't help :(